“Lovely”

Ranked #18 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
melbourne
“Lovely”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel. When we got there we discovered that our chalet was lovely but had no balcony, being near the sea I wanted to be able to sit outside. Asked for an upgrade which staff were happy to give us. a hllltop room which was older and a bit musty buy nothing that a few minutes of fresh air didn't fix. The balcony was lovely and the view was magnificent, Thank goodness for the shuttle bus to take us up and down the hill it was brilliant and the drivers were lovely. The hilltop pool was sensational, clean, cool and quiet, We ate one night ate the restaurant at the hotel..don't bother food was expensive and very ordinary. Damai central next door was a much better option for food, drinks and snacks. My husband played golf at Damai Country Club and enjoyed it very much, that was also quite cheap. A lovely place to stay for a couple of days. Don't expect too much swimming at the beach though, when the tide comes in there was no beach...lovely stay though. Renovation of tennis courts etc, is stiill ongoing but didn;t bother us.

Room Tip: go for hilltop room lovely
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I spent the extra money for a Baruk Suite and was quite disappointed. The room itself was OK, but in immediate need of refurbishment and had a view of.... other Baruk Suites! I was expecting to have a nice ocean view off the balcony, but what I had was the access road. BTW - the ONLY way to get to any of these rooms is to wait for a shuttle to come by like some sort of bus. No real schedule - you go to the bus stop and hit a button and hope they will show up. I was there during Chinese New Year, so it was very busy and an unreliable transport.

Breakfast was crowded and below average. Any food on site was very expensive. At night there was a bar (perhaps not connected to the resort) that was playing VERY LOUD music until 2:00 in the morning - even with all the windows closed I could not sleep. There should be a simple way to correct that problem. It is a rainforest resort. I feel bad for all the poor animals who have lived there for millions of years and now have to put up with this ridiculous noise pollution. When I asked about it, just shrugs.

Everything was overpriced and they are always nickle and diming you to death. One good example is NO Internet access in the room, so you have to go to the lobby and purchase it by the hour (about $12 USD) and use it there. What is on the very fine print of the card is that the clock keeps ticking even if you turn off your computer! (you have to log out of their service) No mention of that when I purchased my first card and only a knowing shrug (this happens all the time - what do you want me to do? I work for a bunch of money grubbers) when I complained.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cbivitz

Travelers are raving about these Kuching hotels

Miri, Malaysia
Reviewed March 4, 2014

stayed here for a night for my honeymoon. booked a chalet with a sea view. end up with disappointment. my view was the bushes around and the main door was hidden behind the chalet facing the bushes which is really dangerous. the towel, blanket and bed sheet are old. the toilet is okay but the heater took time to heat. but there is no privacy at all, i can hear all the words spoken from the person who rented the room next door. even their footsteps can be heard clearly. and the place is far from the lobby. need to call for shuttle van in case if its raining. all the doors (main door, toilet) is not well maintained, a bit crook and not safe. there are only 2 power socket.. one for the TV and one for the water heater.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asywest
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous location with lots of activities available in the vicinity. We were in the hilltop deluxe rooms which need refurbishment now! Any issues we had were sorted out quickly (no hot water then not able to turn water off). Room service, don't bother...better to go down to the cafe and get the food hotter and better presented. Would be great if they could deal with the ants in the rooms. Towels need to be replaced now! I really do not think a four star resort should be providing once white towels.... Rooms were cleaned as best they could be considering the condition. Generally staff were great, just got annoyed that after day 3 some staff in the cafe seemed to think I was not signing for breakfast (not included in my rate) even though I had made a point of going up and signing each morning. There is a constant humming noise that originates near the main block maybe aircon or pool plant, it's a shame to have that constant noise in such a lovely natural setting. Wifi coverage could also be improved, could only use when down in the general area no reception at all in our rooms or anywhere on hilltop.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank meanderingkiwi
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We are on our the last day of a three week holiday and we have loved our stay here. First I will say, if you want a 5 star resort hotel, look somewhere else, this is NOT IT, but if you want to feel like you are at a wonderful place in the jungle on the beach away from home where your active little kiddos are loved....come on over. Upon arrival, because our stay was so long, we were upgraded to a ocean view room :) given a discount on the internet (which is very pricey...so plan accordingly) and given excellent service from the very friendly staff. Within days they knew my kid's names and my name and referred to my mom as "Grandma" which was cute. They even knew the name of my youngest daughter's doll :). They helped us with affordable trips to town and gave us whatever we asked for. All we had to do was ask and someone would attend to our needs. The pool near the lobby is finished and is great (only I would request a few umbrellas for the blinding sun) but the kids loved it and it was fun to be next to the lobby. The pool up the hill near the hilltop rooms has an amazing view of the ocean and is very peaceful. The food is okay, its great on some days and not great on others, but I didn't come here for the food. There is a food court, nice restaurants on the ocean and a 7-11 all about 5 minutes away and is worth the short walk. I had to work every night on the internet and had to use the lobby, that was a bit inconvenient, but all the staff knew me and were very sweet. It made my nights of writing a lot more fun. Granted internet in the rooms would be better, but as a mother of two young kids, it was nice to get a break, however, I would have preferred internet in the room. The truth is, if you have ever been to national parks or places with a lot of natural beauty (and bugs, lizards, weather, heat and stuff) you know what to expect when you come to Damai Beach Resort, meaning its not a luxury hotel. But its a nice hotel, that has very friendly, hardworking wonderful staff who let your dripping wet kids run through the lobby and smile. There are many things that need improving, which they are working on, but really if you just breathe and let yourself enjoy it, its a great trip especially with young kids. Upsides, nice helpful staff, beautiful property, reasonable price, amazing location (but remote), great views from all over the place, live music every night. Downsides, rooms need updating, hot water sucks, internet is expensive, food is meh... Thanks to Iskandar for making our stay amazing, the drivers and staff who were great with my kids and didn't mind taking me back to my room at 1am when my work in the US was done. Another fun thing was that the housekeeping staff would arrange my kid's toys into cute little scenes EVERYDAY, it was so fun coming into the room to see what they had done with the toys, it made us feel so loved to see my kid's special loveys arranged into a fun little tableaux. Also thanks to the restaurant staff who had to put up with our crazy vegetarian orders and everyone at the hotel who made us feel like we were at home for three weeks. I am also amazed at how many long term visitors and repeat guests they have here, that says something. I will share one trick, if you smile and ask nicely the staff will be really nice and do what you ask, if you act rude...well, I don't think anyone wants to serve a rude person :). We will be back.

Room Tip: The hillside rooms with balconies are very large and have a great view of the ocean, however, they a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Lorie H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Quite simply, I would not recommend this hotel.

Our room had not been cleaned and the sheets had not been changed. I know this because when we went to get into bed there was blood all over the sheet and the pillow case.

Even if the bloody sheets had been washed but the stains didnt come out, it would be very unlikely to also pick up the corresponding bloody pillow case from a washing machine with lots of sheets in. Lets just say they definitely were not washed. I called reception and they came to clean them. No apology about that though.

We were in a seaview deluxe room (at the higher end of the hotel compound, further away from the beach and restaurant). The room was very dated. Glad we were only there 1 night. There was a little shuttle that took you from your room to the main reception/restaurant. Sometimes we were waiting a while so walked (about 10 mins downhill). The swimming pool near us was open and was ok. The swimming pool you see in most of the pictures though (nearer to the beach) was closed for renovation.

It felt a bit like a mean money grabbing hotel. Wifi was outrageously expensive and there was a rude sign at the buffet breakfast (see photo attached to this review), saying you would be charged for any food you didn't eat. That was a worry at one point as the food was bad so I didn't really want to eat it but forced myself to.

I would say don't bother staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank eleanorlondon86
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Hotel under construction, all amenities closed, no hot water, shower tap not working, room not made until after 3:30pm, fruits in basket were old, a/c noisy. We were not made aware of these issues and paid full price for our stay. Hotel needs a revamp. Staff was very friendly. View from Hilltop Room was lovely.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family