“Absolutely Great!!”
Review of Semadang Kayak

Semadang Kayak
Ranked #1 of 28 Tours in Kuching
More attraction details
Owner description: Semadang Kayak is the premier kayaking, bamboo rafting and adventure outfitter and service provider, operated at the Sarawak River (Semadang River) at the Heart of Borneo Rainforest in Kuching, Sarawak. With various package choices, we could take you on the kayaking and rafting trip of your life! This trip is a family friendly trip and suitable for beginners.
Heidelberg, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Absolutely Great!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

It was the first time we did Kayaking and it was just perfect. Our Guides, James and Mac, did a wonderful job. They were always around, always fun, and took lots of pictures which were later given to us on a cd. The river is not too fast so it's good for unexperienced people, but its still exciting and an incredible scenery. We stopped by at some nice spots, a small waterfall, a village where we got lunch and were given a tour about plants and fruits that grow there, then later we could take a swim and the last stop was to feed some fish. Overall it was a great trip and the guys made as much out of it as possible. We would recommend it to anybody since it is a totally unforgettable experience!! (PS: Don't forget to bring swimsuit, waterproof shoes, and (maybe) diver eyeglasses)

11 Thank JosyLee

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“What a great daytrip!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This one is easy: Book Semandang Kayak and have a fun day out. From pick up all the way to drop of and later on the picture CD, everything was great. The whole family was involved and made sure we had a fantastic day. Kayak, feel like you are 12 again with the water canons, stop at a Dayak village and enjoy the fabulous lunch and village tour (including a cold beer) and then peddle some more with the ever cheerfull guides. At the end we made a detour to see and actual longhouse as it is used today, which was not on the program.
Really, we tend to be pretty critical about organised trip because they hardly ever deliver as promised, but this was excellent and we would every one recommend to book these guys (if only that you would be supporting a local family business, instead of a foreign touroperator that is the other kayak company).

12 Thank SasGuy
Vancouver, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“These guys are fantastic!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I originally e-mailed the other 2 big operators in the area, but one didn't reply at all, and the other replied a week and a half later, offering me a different trip than I requested. So I found these guys and e-mailed them, and Luke got back to me within a few hours and told me he could take me out the day I wanted on the same trip I wanted.

The company is run by a Bidayuh family (the locals from that area of Sarawak) and the whole family is involved. Luke, the youngest son, arranged to pick me up at my hotel in Kuching and was there to pick me up ten minutes ahead of schedule. We then went out to the village where the kayaks were stored and met up with the other group that was going with us that day. We also met his father, mother, sister and one of his older brothers (Mac), who are all involved in the company. You can tell that everyone in the family really enjoys what they're doing, and having grown up in that area, they know it very well. They're all very friendly and also speak English very well.

We then drove further up the river and after a brief safety talk, we headed out on the river. The riverbanks are pristine, and almost completely untouched the whole length of the trip. And there are no signs of the ubiquitous palm plantations you see everywhere else in Malaysia.

As I wanted to paddle alone, they set me up with my own kayak. The kayaks are open on top, so they're easy to get in and out of, and they lent me a bag to put my clothes/valuables in, which you can store on the kayak just behind your seat. They also supplied a bottle of water which fit in a little pocket between your legs.

The river itself is quite tame, so don't go expecting crazy rapids, but it's a still great trip. The scenery's amazing, and it's a very relaxing atmosphere (and as it's higher up, it's noticeably cooler than down in Kuching). We stopped after a couple of hours for a Bidayuh lunch in one of the little villages along the river, and then they took us for a look around the village. We then got back on the river and continued on. We also stopped at one point for a very short hike to a little waterfall, which was a nice side-trip.

Throughout the trip, they were pointing out things of interest, and taking literally hundreds of pictures of our group (later that night they delived a CDRom to my hotel with over 800 pictures of our group they'd taken that day). At the end of the day they dropped me back at my hotel in the city.

So if you're thinking about getting out on the river for the day, definitely get a hold of these guys and see if they can take you out. You'll have a blast.

Visited August 2012
21 Thank MasakatsuAgatsu
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great day out!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This kayaking trip was the perfect break from the city and normal sightseeing and included a lot more than I expected. The owners are locals of the kampung we finished in and clearly knew the river well, plus they were great fun and I spent a lot of the time laughing.

The actual kayaking was around 4 hours and along a relatively straightforward course. We stopped several times on the way to swim, explore some cool caves and at the end to feed the fish. There was a delicious local lunch provided in one of the Kampungs on the way and I was given a tour of the village and a show-longhouse there too.

As a solo traveller I am always concerned to find groups to join so I can take part in these activities and was therefore very impressed to discover that, despite the group I had planned to join postponing until the next day, they still took me as planned for the same price. I was guided by Mac, Luke and Jeff (brothers and brother-in-law) so what with the water fights along the way, I felt more like I had been adopted into their family for the day than a tourist. Since our day finished quite late, they even took me for some local laksa on the way back to my hostel.

Other things to note: They pick up from your hostel/hotel, drinking water is included, you are given a waterproof bag to put your things in (not that you need more than a change of dry clothes), lifejackets are provided, there are changing rooms at the start and the end of the course and they will take countless numbers of photos of you and give them to you on a cd at the end.

I highly recommend this trip for anyone looking to do something a bit different. It is a great way to explore the highlands around Kuching and the scenery is impressive. The course is easy and very family-friendly, but it is interesting enough to entertain those with a bit more experience too.

Certainly one of the highlights of my time in Malaysia!:)

23 Thank FernL-G
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Adrenaline rush!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

It was amazing! Recommended for those who love nature and it's a very good idea for family outing as the crew of Semadang Kayak will take good care of you throughout the trip. It took us about 6 hours as we stop by so many picture perfect spots, caves, fish feeding and even small rapids! As compare to other kayaking operator, Semadang Kayak is much more friendlier and approachable shall you have problems throughout the journey and they have fun along with you by playing water gun with you. It was a blast and my family are laughing throughout the journey because we have so much fun! Don't forget to wear a long sleeve and long pants if you wouldn't want to get sunburn, a proper shoes too, sunglasses and some tit bits because you will definitely get hungry! You'll stop by Kpg.Danu for your delicious home cooked traditional Bidayuh's food for lunch. Don't worry bout drinking water as they provide it for you even in the kayak! So go ahead and try it for yourself! Bring along waterproof camera too if you one (p/s - the Semadang kayak crew will be taking your pictures from the beginning to the end of the trip so it was worth every ringgit you spend on this adventure!!)

Visited August 2012