“Good food, worth a try.”
Review of the.Dyak

the.Dyak
Ranked #33 of 595 Restaurants in Kuching
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 'Dyak' is pronounced 'da-yak'; the old English spelling used by the Brookes to classify generically the various tribes of Borneo. At the.Dyak we serve Dayak cuisine prepared with culinary technique and served on Dayak kitchenware. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available. Air-conditioned with free WiFi. Smokers enjoy al-fresco dining. Open from 11:30am till last order at 8:30 pm every day including public holidays. Close on Sundays. Our table is not kosher as we serve pork.
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Food was good and service was ok. Very traditional but a bit pricey for what it is. I would still go back though.

There are newer reviews for the.Dyak

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Dyak is a fair way away from most of the main hotels and we took a taxi to get there. It was worth the journey. The food is unusual (in a nice way) and all very delicious. The ingredients were very fresh and many seemed to have been gathered from the jungle. My daughter had no trouble finding veggie options. The individual portions were not large but prices were very reasonable and we were able to sample lots of different dishes. The staff were very obliging. The surprising thing was that the restauranrt closed at 8.30pm, when we were the last to leave - so make sure you get there early - and it's best to reserve a table.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

It is the first time I had tried Dayak food. It was indeed delicious. We had a steamed tilapia fish; which was done so well, you could not tell it was a freshwater fish. Also had the sweet potato leaves which tastes wonderful too, this is a personal favourite vegetable... so this comment may be biased. My favourite dish in the meal was a Chicken soup with bamboo, with a lot of local herbs in it... it's flavourful and tangy, I love it!! The variety of local herbs in there reminds me of nasi ulam. We also had an anchovies with tempoyak dish, very strong taste. I actually love the spicyness and the anchovies but the tempoyak was a bit overwhelming for me (a non-durian eater). Service and ambiance was good too. Very reasonable priced. Will definitely go back!!!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We enjoyed our experience here. My fave was the pork dish with pickled durian - a good way to try durian if you don't like the raw fruit. The other dishes were delicious and interesting - we mostly went with different forest herbs and vegetables. I liked the wine they have, though there was only one variety available that night.

Service was pretty good but don't expect what you might find in a 5 star place in a global city. For a provincial town like Kuching it was great (and that is not meant rudely - it is about expectation management, you city slickers...!)

I would definitely return and was very glad we went.

1  Thank Richard F
Reviewed January 27, 2014

If i had to say 1 thing about this restaurant, they maintained the original flavor of the food.. Either be it vegetable or chicken, we were able to taste and feel the original flavor, the earthy, mountain, tribal feeling was great..
Beyond words...

The only thing is, i feel they have a limited choice..

Loved their bamboo chicken..