“Great food and reasonable price :)”
Review of Absolute Tribal

Absolute Tribal
Ranked #103 of 589 Restaurants in Kuching
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set in a historic building built during the Brooke Era about 120 years ago, Sarakraf Pavilion brings to you an visiting experience that is rich in history and reflects the fascinating sentiment of the time and heritage of Sarawak in general.The Sarakraf Center preserves arts and crafts that could not be seen elsewhere. Guests are invited to join cooking lessons and shop for memorable souvenirs from Sarawak.Absolute Trival Restaurant is one of the unique feature of Sarakraf Pavilion. The restaurant presents a unique dining experience in the courtyard and serves Chinese, Authentic and fusion local dishes as well as a huge selection of Thai cuisine.The historical attachment of the establishment will make you feel as if you have travel back in time and take a refuge to a spiritually enchanting holiday.
Kuching, Malaysia
“Great food and reasonable price :)”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

one of the best restaurant that i know. :) almost all of the food is very delicious especially laksiam and butter chicken rice. niceeee. .plus the price is reasonable too. for me, the service is very excellent. all staff is very friendly and helpfull. i would like to recommend all of my family members and friends to have their lunch/dinner at ATR! :D

• Visited May 2014
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Shafig,

Thank you so much for your review, I cant believe your whole gang did the review all together. hahahah

Thank you for your comment on food and staff friendliness, I just got an review saying that I am rude in handling review.....gotten me some pain in my chest for a month before I get back to response to his unreasonable accusation....

but I guess that's the price one have to pay for running a food outlet, we are all opened to all types of customers, thus we get all type of guest experience, we just have to cherish good experience so we get a little balancing act when we do get some ugly ones.

Thanks for cheering us up with that review....

Regards,

Gerald.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Poor service”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Non-fancy atmosphere, air-conditioners seem like not working at all. But quite a popular lunch spot with good value. Major disappointment with the unfriendly staffs and service. Not a single smile and staff who didn't bother to pay attention to us at all. However i don't expect over-the-top fake niceness from the servers. The food is good. Spicy tom yum soup is quite authentic and will definitely come back for it.

• Visited May 2014
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
My dear CCallan,

As I can only see your pair of naked legs in your TripAdvisor profile pic, so I wouldnt possibly recognize you in totality...and so that leaves me with no clue with regards to when exactly you were here at ATR and see how I can recall and see what went wrong......, you will probably agree with me that when we are in the restaurant, our legs are ALWAYS hidden under the tables.....so showing only legs in the profile pic does not help us recognize you at all. hahahahh

BUT FIRST, sorry for the poor service as claimed.

HOWEVER, to be frank, all the owners of the food industry in Sarawak would do the same thing in JUNE every year, that is, scratching our heads to look for substitute to fill up their crew. ......
as your petition was "filed" on the court of TripAdvisor on the 2nd JUNE, I presumed you must had been here on the 1st of June, the height of our Sarawak on fire..... where almost all our staffs went on leave back to their longhouses and villages to celebrate their yearly bursting festivity, GAWAI DAYAK.....leaving us empty in the restaurant and so we have to hire inexperienced part timers to manage our frontier..... a no no to hospitality flair as these part-timers may not be experiencED enough to smell any dissatisfaction developing in some customers due to "not enough" attention. BUT this is life's fact so we have to make do with all we can grab in June. TERRIBLY sorry if these greeniesss spoilt your mood and we promise to be careful next JUNE.

Thanks for your encouraging comment on our good food, thank you, how honor to have that from you, at least thank you so so so much.

Warm regards,

In JUNE, we celebrate our GAWAI festival and
Kuching, Malaysia
“Beautiful”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Been there for dinner with colleague after a conference. Had guest from the States and India together. Simple meals but very rich in taste. One of the best tomyam I've tasted in Kuching and yes it's spicy!! Not for the faint hearted. Those who loves spicy food, I would strongly recommend the superb spicy tomyam..

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Lalat79
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you So Much for your review !

When we first started our restaurant at The Hills, Kuching. We envisage authenticity as our moto in driving us further into this trade. so we hired 3 Thai chefs from Thailand to ensure that ingredients and cooking styles are authentically Thai.

Tom Yum was the deciding factor when we were in Hat Yai, Thailand casting our vote of confidence to decide which chef to hire. So I am really pleased that Tom Yum had stolen your breath away, and proves that our choice was the correct one.

Thank you so much. Please drop by again for another "flame-boyant" treat !!

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“not great for vegetarians”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Sadly we ended up leaving a lot of our food - the tofu sizzler was more soggy than sizzle and quite bland. And was pretty much the only thing to choose off the menu. Wasn't worth the taxi trip out to be honest.

Visited March 2014
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Tanya M,

So sorry that you did not enjoy our food.

Frankly Speaking, we are NOT a vegetarian Restaurant so we have yet to come out with a Vegetarian Menu.

BUT BUT BUT, We will be more than willing to customize a series of Vegetarian dishes for any of our guests. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ASK. Please. if you dont ask, we would not know how to make you happy and ended up swallowing a review like this here.

We do Green Curry vegetarian, crispy vege vegetarian, Tom Yum Vegetarian, Tofu vegetarian ( if you order from the menu without telling our crew, sorry, that is not vegetarian!!!!!! no wonder you didnt like it) we also have stir fried baby kailan, Lotus root etc etc...... at your request although its not on the menu.

BELOVED READERS HERE, please communicate with our crew, they can talk and think too, hahhaah, and they would gladly customize to your need ( in case you need your food to be gluten free, vegetarian, not too salty, not too spicy, not to this and that...... all could be arranged ) please ! its sad to read about negative review here which can easily be avoided if the diners don't mind to talk to our crew on what they expect from us.

so Tanya, I am so sorry you left unhappy, but if you are ever in our restaurant again, please TALK to our crew on what you need you meals to be, you will be surprised at how we can actually customized your dish to your needs.

till we meet again...
Thanks

Shenzhen, China
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We took the trek out in a taxi, buoyed by the promise of great cooking. It was mediocre, quite expensive and far from authentic. WE had much, much better food at a number of Kuching restaurants and would not bother going back to this one

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Gar2010
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Gar

I would really appreciate you giving your real name, so I can address to a person in my response and not talking to some unknown thingy? Thank you

However, for someone from mainland China, your extremely fluent English is astounding, congratulation.

I dont know which dish you ordered to deserve us such disappointment but you MUST order authentic dish if you want to review the authenticity of our dish, otherwise, its such a disgrace to both. dont you agree?????? and you are not Thai nor Sarawakian, how do your comment on authenticity in this restaurant????? in this case, I would just presumed you ordered from our fusion dishes which we blended the native and Thai style together and which, we agree, is "far from being authentic" because its a fusion dish.

Nice effort but please be specific if you are to post on us AGAIN and MAKE SURE you show yourself to me so I could extend our hospitality to you and recommend authentic food to a foreigner who wish to write about authenticity in our native and Thai food. I am serious.