“Terrible experience, felt wasted our time, effort and money”
Review of Absolute Tribal

Absolute Tribal
Ranked #103 of 575 Restaurants in Kuching
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Set in a historic building built during the Brooke Era about 120 years ago, Sarakraf Pavilion brings to you an visiting experience that is rich in history and reflects the fascinating sentiment of the time and heritage of Sarawak in general.The Sarakraf Center preserves arts and crafts that could not be seen elsewhere. Guests are invited to join cooking lessons and shop for memorable souvenirs from Sarawak.Absolute Trival Restaurant is one of the unique feature of Sarakraf Pavilion. The restaurant presents a unique dining experience in the courtyard and serves Chinese, Authentic and fusion local dishes as well as a huge selection of Thai cuisine.The historical attachment of the establishment will make you feel as if you have travel back in time and take a refuge to a spiritually enchanting holiday.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Terrible experience, felt wasted our time, effort and money”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

After a long day we wanted to have an enjoyable lunch and headed to Absolute Tribal.. We opted the outdoors. The floor seating was nice, but to our disappointment it was not tidy, ash tray not cleared.
We proceed to order Mango Salad (thought we dint want dried fish, we were served with them), We cancelled Pandan Chicken but we were served them too.
But, when we were served with rusty, unclean and disgusting spoon with the lemon grass tea, we lost appetite and we left. Will upload a pic of it.
I will not recommend this to any of my friends..

Probably those visitors who had visited the restaurant at night, the dirt and rusty spoon would have been camouflaged by the candle light.....

5 Thank DineshSekar
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
DEAR DENESH,

Thank you for sharing your terrible experience here at TripAdvisor, we will use it as an item for our daily briefing knowing that clarifications during order and cancellation can be an issue too. below are the 3 complaints from you :

1) you said : We proceed to order Mango Salad (thought we dint want dried fish, we were served with them)

our Mango Salad DO NOT have DRIED FISH. We never have the luxury of adding Dried Fish in our Mango Salad..... its diced Dried squids........that was topping our mango salad........ gosh!!!! fish and squid is different in texture..........

unless you ordered the Pla duk Fu which is topped with fish floss, but That's Pla Duk Fu and not Mango Salad.

since we are on the topic, I might as well share more....Sometimes customers requested that certain ingredients to be excluded, our policy has been standard, our crew will inform the guests that taking out certain ingredients may affect the quality of the dish and if the guests insisted, we will usually follow after making sure that the guests had been briefed.....However, if we still delivered with them, we would definitely replace with new when notified, so please just tell us and we would gladly have it rectified....

2) you claimed : We cancelled Pandan Chicken but we were served them too.

When guest gets indecisive over their order......we usually get very alarming too....It depends on the time when your cancellation was done, our policy is that all cancellation must be done before the kitchen had started cooking the dish. or else, it would be unfair for us. I know you were furious about the dish being not being able to be cancelled, but we really apologize for not being able to take it out of the bill as the kitchen was already half way through the dish when you cancelled it. we are terribly sorry...you should have made that decision earlier. sorry again.

3) when we were served with rusty, unclean and disgusting spoon with the lemon grass tea, we lost appetite and we left.

we are honestly sorry for the spoon but I sincerely feel that getting a one star just because of an inappropriate spoon is really not doing us justice...we are for one, not a shop selling lemon grass tea only.... hahahah. we would gladly replace with another cup of lemon grass tea if we were alerted on the spot.

however, my greatest heartache came from your last sentence of not recommending us due to the spoon and even went further to say that the rest of the customers were blinded by the evening dim light and not see the dirty spoon...... I find that statement rather childish and offensive, I think you might have to apologize to the 100s other reviewers for making them like a fool.... this is serious ! how about their reviews on the food as taste is definitely not affected by dim evening light. ..... Gosh, I think you owe me an apology too. hahahah

but that's ok, its all clarified now. thanks for dropping by

Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic dining experience”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I visited Tribal with my family of 4 on the 4th January and have to say the the meals were of an incredible standard. The atmosphere was cultural interesting with a dash of tribal amongst a colonial setting with our host the restauranter discussing his wonderful paintings. A very special evening and the food outstanding.. 5 stars

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Dianna P
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Dianna,

Thank you so much for posting us an wonderful review.

It is my outmost pleasure to show guests and visitors around this 120 year-old heritage house and how we had built around it while keeping the ambiance authentic with an aged Colonial splendor. However, IF they are people that support preservation on our diminishing heritage, by all means, but if they were not into the beauty of preservation, they may find our effort not worth mentioning and these are people that think we are wrong in preserving the old and should tear down the building and build new. So this is really a personal issue and we felt we just have to do what we felt was right.

Thank you so much for your time, when you came with your husband and son, we were left with only our outdoor seats and were worried that your may not be as comfortable as you may wanted to be, but you were kind enough to tell us that you were ok. thank you for dropping by and hope to see you again soon.

Thanks

Kuching, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth a try”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

After reading so many positive reviews I decided pay a visit with my brother and cousins coming back for holiday. We ordered a Michelle Yeoh's inspired dish and green curry which was truly delicious although it's a bit spicy for me. We ordered steamed fish where we found it was not very fresh and overcooked. The restaurant ambience and dinnerware could be improved, staffs were friendly. Overall it was a nice dinning experience.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank AnnHamasaki
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Ann

Thanks for your review.

Spiciness of dishes is a rather personal matter. our principle here is simple, we will always serve our usual standard of spiciness at all time unless the customers requested us to reduce the spiciness.

Although certain dishes may turn mediocre when spiciness is reduced while other dishes may turn tasteless when certain dishes are too spicy for some people........ so I would only respond by saying we cant please everyone when it comes to spiciness. all yo need to do is to really understand yourself and follow recommendation from our crew after you had revealed your culinary standard in handling spices.

Thank you for your review and hope to see you again

Thanks

Cold Spring, New York
“Great meal and more”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is a unique complex of restaurant, craft center, museum and "home stay". We read reviews complaining that Absolute tribal was hard to find, but that is not true. The map here on Trip Advisor is, in fact, wrong, but Google maps shows the right location. We arrived one night not knowing what to expect. We were met at the door by Gerald, the owner, who not only escorted us to our table, but helped us in selecting and an outstanding variety of dishes: Jackfruit salad (absolutely delicious, with just the right amount of zing), spicy mango salad (fabulous), Mongolian lamb ( the best I have ever tasted anywhere), Tom Yam sardine ( a house specialty that was fantastic, but too spicy for us to finish. Ask then to tone it down a bit. It is a true winner), pineapple prawns ( not my favorite, but my husband ate the entire dish so there is something for everyone!) and prawn paste fried rice. After the meal, Gerald personally gave us a tour of the unique craft center which offers a window into the various cultures of Sarawak, and the museum located on the main floor of the house. Gerald is also an outstanding artist and his original works and featured throughout and should not be missed. It was an unforgettable evening.

2 Thank ellynvb
Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Elly,

I told my crew that the New York family had written a review. Their response was : " did they mention the JackFruit Kerabu? ..." LOL.... you must had shown them your satisfied smile after the dish was served. What a wonderful review you have for us, Thank you so much.

I always told my reviewers here that hospitality is a two-way traffic....I have to tell you that we felt respected for serving and that makes us bursting with energy to offer our best, and it works all the time. Thank you for enjoying yourself here with our food I am delighted that you actually remember their names . Thank you.

Painting is another passion that keeps me going. unfortunately there isn't mush time that i could squeeze for that luxury after ATR was opened. But I will definitely paint some more when I get enough inspiration from visiting guests who appreciate my art and my passions as conceptualized at Sarakraf Pavilion and Absolute Tribal Restaurant.

Thank you so much for dropping by and I look forward to the next opportunity of serving you and your family .

Warm Regards,

Miri District, Malaysia
“One of the besttt!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

What a place! It's a restaurant with a resort feel and nature. We sat by the pond side on this ornate little table setting designed by the owner himself and we could even hear frogs singing behind and around us. Food was great,staff were friendly price reasonable considering a heavenly ambiance like this. Don't miss it when you are in kuching.! If this place is in singapore,it would had been the most happening F&B place!

Gerald G, Owner at Absolute Tribal, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Jigung,

Thank you so much , as much as I wish we were in Singapore, our destiny is to fully utilize our Sarawak potential and offer top food, service and ambiance to guests that enter our 120 year-old front door.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and as we work towards a much better hospitality each day, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Warm regards,