“Fascinating market visit and awesome cooking lesson!”

Bumbu Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 6 Food & Drink in Kuching
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my course. There is a minimum of two people per course but as they knew how much I wanted to do the course (I sent my booking request back in August!) they let me do it on my own. I was very thankful and touched for that kindness.

The market tour is fascinating. You learn about so many things brought in from the rainforest and the stall holders are so friendly and encourage you to try things that are unfamiliar to you.

The cooking itself was also very good. My teacher was so friendly and such a good teacher. She was able to suggest lots of alternative ingredients to replace those only found in Sarawak.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys their food and who is curious about unfamiliar tastes and ingredients. The finished products were delicious and I can't wait to make them at home.

Do this course!!

6  Thank psymon1969
There are newer reviews for Bumbu Cooking Class

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this cooking class, especially the trip to the market with Joseph to buy the ingredients (don't forget your camera!). The class size was nice and small (with just 4 people) so it was easy to make friends with our fellow cooks. The food was delicious, especially the dessert! We felt that it could’ve been a little more hands on, as the instructors prepared everything for us. Bernadine and Elsie were really lovely!

5  Thank Caroline N
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Fantastic! If you love cooking you will love this. On a wet rainy afternoon caught a taxi (turned out to be just around the corner :-) ) Met with Joeseph and a lovely Canadian/American couple and then off to the new market, the old one on the river used to flood, hence the new location ( ask the locals if your map doesn't have the new location). Who would have thought there were so many varieties of aubergines/ eggplant. Great chance to use you olfactory senses... that's why we're given a snozzle. Coconut grinding machine gave me palpitations as maintenance manager for a multi national, but what the, the man still had ten fingers! Back to home and straight into cooking, pandanus leaf baskets take a little bit of practice that's why you make a whole tray full :-) Tako desert, all I can say is yum and i made it. Again curry to die for and exactly to your taste, master chef here I come, but only if I can take Bernadine and her lovely mum Elsie with me. Bring your muscles, you will become best friends with you pestle and mortar. Managed to massacre a pineapple, though still edible, but I'm sure you will be able to do better. And the best of it, you get to enjoy what you have made at the end of it and if the company is good as in my case, added bonus.

4  Thank Michaela L
Reviewed February 16, 2013

After a highly informative wet market shopping tour, we got to prepare our own chicken curry, veggies and coconut desert. We squeezed milk out of fresh coconut flesh, we chopped away at all kinds of ingredients and got to grind, sauté, boil and simmer until we had each prepared our very own, best ever curry. We asked a lot of questions and we laughed a lot too. Highly professional organization effortlessly presented in a cozy family setting. A wonderful way to spend a morning.

4  Thank Fanny B
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Bumbu cooking class is a great way to spend a morning or afternoon while in Kuching. We did the market tour with Joseph, which was very informational as you have someone there to ask, "What's this?" and "What do you do with it?". The cooking class itself was informational as well, especially if you don't cook much. The only complaint we have is that we prepared far too much food! There were 5 of us and we could have easily served 15-20 people. As we were staying in a hotel without kitchen facilities, we gave the uneaten food away. It was delicious though!

4  Thank Heather D