“Bring a Flashlight”

and up
Fairy Caves and Wind Caves from Kuching City
Ranked #4 of 94 things to do in Kuching
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This cave was the highlight of our trip to Kuching, because it was a real adventure. Once you climb the concrete stairs four levels to get to the mouth of the cave, you explore it on your own. It can get a little spooky as you work your way from one end to the opposite entrance. A flashlight for each person is a necessity. Note that some of the steps on the wooden stairs inside the cave are broken. Wear decent sneakers as the concrete steps can be slippery.

3  Thank robertli1234

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Really interesting and fun to explore. A bit of exercise involved climbing the stairs and slopes, but not difficult. Take a head torch and or a regular torch. Easy to combine with Wind Cave which makes a half day out from Kuching.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Caves are amazing - but the stairs up to the cave entrance are a bit tiring. Make sure you wear good boots or hiking shoes. Take a torch.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

It often annoys me to see negative comments reviewing a cave about how it was dirty and dark...that is what makes it a cave. I get bored of the overly touristy caves that lose their magic because they are constantly lit up by coloured lights.

Outside here there is a large multi storey staircase to get to the entrance; then there is a steep lader and rocks to climb over that a person with mobility problems would struggle with; from then on the main cave has a few concrete step walkways, and dirt underfoot. Inside, the huge main cavern is lit by sunlight.

I was glad I went with a guide as we left the walkways and went to the back of the cave...a place where, if alone, I would not have gone as I would have considered it out of bounds. We walked back through a tunnel that would have been pitch black without our torches, and worked our way towards a rickety wooden ladder way back, that led to a small platform on the outside where you could sit quietly and listen to the birds sing.

Our guide Bong told us stories and pointed out wildlife when in the dark tunnel. He also mentioned that Malaysia has made a deliberate decision not to light up their caves with electric lights as they want tourists to experience real caves. I liked this approach, a did feel like a bit of an explore making my way through a dark tunnel, looking at rock features and trying to spot wildlife.

Don't forget to bring a torch.

I paid 90rm for a morning visting the fairy and wind caves with a guide from Borneo International Travel a full day excursion is not necessary. I was picked up and dropped off at my hotel. I was a single traveller and found there were only 2 other people in the group so it did not feel like being part of a group herded around.

If there are 3 or more people in your group it may be worth hiring a car and driver (easy and cheap) to visit several places in one day.

5  Thank bookowl1000
Reviewed January 8, 2013

They have made it a lot easier and safer to get to the entrance by putting up concrete stairways. There are other short flights of stairs within the cave to traverse so just go a liitle slow, then it should be manageable even for the very young and seniors. Watch your steps because like any caves, some places can be slipperly (and some are without the railings); a torchlight would be helpful . And watch your camera because water do drip down at places.

Once you are up there, sit on the rocks and take your time to look around. There is no need to hurry out as I have observed some groups done so.

Toilets are available. Drinks and snacks are sold at the stalls outside the cave. They are also constructing some huts (Bidayuh Baruk style) , for some kind of homestay.

2  Thank qt030801