“Nice Indian Meal”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Visited Lyn's tandoori, and had a good indian meal. Service was fast and friendly, We were able to have some cool beers, and excellent entrees. Mains were a good size, and we left happy.
Great signs in the toilets, but if that is what it takes to keep them clean, then more power to them.

2  Thank QldTiger

Reviewed August 10, 2011

I ordered take out from here over the phone and was given a wait time of 40 min. When I arrived at the restaurant 40 mins later my food wasn't ready. I waited a further 15 minutes. I noticed some diners looked like they had been waiting for quite some time.

I had the tandoori chicken (1 portion), 1 naan and 1 vegetable dish and paid RM34. I didn't think much about it until I served the vegetable at home. I was surprised because the portion was small and the dish was listed as RM17 in the bill. The chicken was RM13 and the bread RM4. The vegetable dish was mainly of french beans, carrots and cauliflower (see picture) and I thought it was really expensive for RM17.

I called the restaurant to inquire about this and was told that they had made a mistake. I was told that RM17 was for the chicken and the vegetable was 'ONLY RM13' (quoting the person on the phone)! Only? The price was still pretty steep for that small portion of vegetable and when I asked the person over the phone what's so special about the dish, he just kept describing the type of vegetables in the dish…

The chicken was coated with a layer of soggy spice and I blamed it on my choice to order take out. Ignoring that fact, the meat was a bit too dry and I have definitely had better tandoori chicken elsewhere (e.g. the restaurant at 7 mile – unfortunately can’t remember the name but will be visiting again this weekend. Watch out for my review then).

The naan bread was not what I had expected but the owner of the restaurant had explained that the naan was made from wholewheat flour and unique to the restaurant. It had a texture similar to tortilla and I thought it was decent. Just don't expect the typical crunchy on the outside soft on the inside naan bread. The bread was about the size of a large tortilla. I am still debating whether the ‘uniqueness’ of it is worth RM4.

Albeit a rocky start with the vegetable dish, I thought it was not too bad. The vegetables were not overcooked and I liked the crunchy texture of the beans.
Still, ‘Only RM13’ was still pretty darn expensive.

Overall, I was not blown away by the meal. Food was decent but just was not value for money. RM34 may only be USD11, EURO8, GBP7 but the restaurant is located in Kuching, Malaysia and the restaurant is not what you would call high-end.

Anyway, I thought I should give it a second chance through dine-in but none of the Kuchingnites I have met is willing to accompany me. The response is always along the line: “That place is expensive and it’s for foreigners… it is always a loooong wait before the food is served...”. Well, guess I will just have to find another foreigner before I visit Lyn’s Tandoori again cos’ I am definitely not trying another take out.

8  Thank w1n1
lynmohan, Owner at Lyn's Thandoori Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear w1n1,

We appreciate your comment. We shall endeavour to rectify all the shortcoming you have listed.

You are encouraged to visit our restaurant again and happily welcome you to avail a complimentary meal for your expression of candid opinion as well as to cover the financial loss you might have incurred from your last take away meal.

We welcome your continued criticism to improve our service though we have been in this business for the past 18 years and we are happy to learn from people like you, always.

You don't need to wait for you to pick a foreigner to accompany you and it is an open place for everyone to come alone or in group.

Perhaps you should make an attempt to read some of the comments others has written on our restaurant. You don't need to advertise other restaurants at our expense. Anybody has the liberty to dine anywhere they please.

Regards,

Lyn Mohan
Owner

Reviewed July 23, 2011

We had a very nice quiet meal on one night and were treated to extra goodies without charge. Had a very interesting chat with the owner.
Two days later we went again and were disappointed....the fish was over cooked and just 6 tiny pieces...no rice, no veggies....too expensive....the restaurant was filled to the brim with two large groups and this time we had to pay for all the extra little goodies or did not get them at all. Service ok.

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Myself and my Girlfriend (both Indian food lovers) dined here for two nights in a row on 3rd & 4th June 2011 and on both occasions found the food to be authentic, original and of the highest quality, the service to be prompt, efficient & friendly.

My girlfriend, as a vegetarian, was very impressed by the large selection of the vegetarian menu on offer, especially considering the difficulty in ordering vegetarian dishes in other restaurants in Kuching

We would both definitely eat there again should we find ourselves back in Kuching

lynmohan, Owner at Lyn's Thandoori Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Dear PaulReilly,

It was heartening to read very encouraging remarks on the operation of our restaurant. We shall endeavour to ensure that your comment are upheld at all times and every guest visit our restaurant carry home a sweet memory of their stay in Kuching.

You are most welcome to visit us during your next visit.

Regards,

Lyn Mohan
Owner

Reviewed May 5, 2011

Yes - the decor and ambience isn't all that...but have you ever found an Indian restaurant where it is all that?

The food (the main reason you go to a restaurant for?) was excellent - their comprehensive menu attests to the fact that great care and years of experience has been put into achieving a great standard of dishes. I've come across many Indian dishes on their menu that I've never heard of before - and subsequently tried one.

The food is definitely more pricey than your average Malaysian noodley affair or your McDonalds Happy Meal...but I would say that its definitely worth it.

Would I go there again? As soon as I set foot in Kuching...

1  Thank justdanni
lynmohan, Owner at Lyn's Thandoori Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Dear Sir (justdanni),

Your comment on our restaurant reinforced our conviction to provide the best service and the best food to all our customers at all times.

Thank you.