“The sultry centre of Sarawak” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Batik Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 82 Kuching B&B and Inns
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“The sultry centre of Sarawak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

In June 2013 I followed a life long dream of mine, without the ex I'd shared the dream with, and headed to Borneo solo. After a nature filled time in Sabah I decided to head to Sarawak - first stop Cat City (Kuching). I wanted to learn more about Borneo; it's plants, animals, peoples, history, food, arts and crafts and Kuching is the best place to do that. I was thrilled to arrive at the Batik Boutique to a wonderful, warm welcome and from the moment I arrived to when I was dropped at the airport by staff, I felt like I was with family. The hotel is artistically designed with incredible attention to detail and staff lovingly helped me tailor sightseeing to my personal needs and assisted in organising a trip where I FINALLY saw the largest flower in the world, the infamous Rafflesia. I'd spend the day in jungle, or museums, or doing a cooking course, or wondering around the city and arrive back, dripping in sweat, to my air-conditioned, clean, comfortable room and end the evening with room service if required, or a movie in the back courtyard. I cannot recommended this lovely boutique hotel and it's fun, attentive staff enough. It's one of the best hotel experiences I've had in the world, especially for the cost. And if you have a chance to hang with Jo-Lynn or Jacqui do it - they're brilliant women who totally run the town with passion and zest! You may even end up in a cool bar singing Karaoke with strangers! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great place to stay, close to everything. The staff offer detailed concierge service, and will set you up with whatever you need, a trip to the parks, or where to find a laundry. If you are not a grumpy old man, they might invite you on a weekend trip.

WiFi signal is strong everywhere in the hotel. TV has BBC, Channel News Asia, and others.

Next door to money changers, restaurants, shops, barbers and much more. A couple of blocks to the waterfront walk.

Best way to grab a taxi is to walk up the street 2 blocks to the taxi stand outside Riverside Majestic. EXPECT them to use the meter and they will.

Room Tip: Street side rooms are the largest, and have the big bath tubs. Courtyard rooms are quieter, have a n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Batik is a great hotel in the heart of Kuching. I was able to walk to all the main attractions. Staff are extremely friendly and went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. My room was spacious and clean and the free wifi was great as I was there for work.

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

If you are traveling for pleasure, this is an excellent place to stay. The staff are priceless. They will make you feel welcome and really help you get to know the area. You won't be sorry you stayed here. Be sure to drop by the bar and ask for information about the city and surrounding area. It's the next best thing to having a friend in town. Also the hotel is adorable with little perks like great water pressure, hair dryers and a french press in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Because I tend to travel for longer periods (taking work with me and making a virtue of necessity) I prefer small hotels: it is easier to develop a rapport with staff and to get a sense of place. Many such hotels bandy the overused phrase 'your home away from home'; this is perhaps the first time I have felt precisely that. The hotel is small and charming (15 rooms, a good restaurant and a pleasant courtyard). My internet booking had allotted me one of the three rooms with internal windows facing the courtyard, which was too dark for me since I planned spending a lot of time there wroking. The manager, Jo Lynn, effortlessly shuffled things around so that I could have a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard. Everything in the rooms seems to be bespoke, from the carved headboards with inset mirrors, to the positively tropical rainshower, and the panel beneath the TV which allows you to plug in VGA, HMI or USB cables to watch your own movies or review today's photos. There's also an iPod dock next to the bed. The courtyard rooms are bright and airy. Coffee making facilities include a plunger and some excellent ground coffee from a local cafe.

The place is friendly and relaxed, and the (inclusive) breakfast - a choice of pancakes, french toast, eggs or laksa sarawak - was very good. But what made my stay was the friendliness and the helpfulness of the staff. Any hotel - however lavish or humble - is made by its staff, and here they were smiling, attentive, friendly and helpful to a fault. On my second night, the owner, Jackie, invited people from a local village to come and cook and charged us nothing for the resulting tasty spread. Staff were helpful with advice on places to go and when to go (phoning to check with the National park whether a Raffasia plant was in flower, lending head-torches to visit the local caves), and guests were invited on impromptu trips to remote villages and lakes.

I heartily recommend the place to independent travelers

Room Tip: Three rooms (one on each floor) have only internal windows facing the atrium and are rather dark as...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Terribleman
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

All the previous reviews are spot on. The Batik's competitive advantage is definitely the staff. Really, they couldn't have done more for us, fixing a booking mistake (ours), transport here and there, great local knowledge and recommendations. We enjoyed the courtyard at the back, our room was large, comfortable and clean, the hotel is conveniently located. I would agree with a few less favourable comments about the hot lift, the musty smell outside the rooms and that a few maintenance fixes are needed. Nevertheless, our stay was fantastic, well done and thanks again to all the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
west midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night at Batik and arrived late, therefore our experience was only a snapshot.

On arrival the front door was locked and we had to be buzzed in (security is obviously therefore well considered). We were greeted by two young men who appeared to b running the bar area and were offered rice wine and Batik cake (very tasty).

On being shown to our rooms we were ushered into a tiny lift which was incredibly hit. There is a distinctly musty smell in the corridors and although the style is clearly individual it was not really to our taste. We stayed in a courtyard suite and the room was fine, but the iPod docking station was grubby and needed a good clean. The balcony, was tiny and did not have a very nice view.

The highlight for us was the hospitality offered to us by the young man at the bar. He offered us sound advice on where to go and visit during our time in Kuching and the surrounding area and did not seem to mind that we had arrived so late.

The following morning we had breakfast in their 'bites' restaurant. The breakfast was fine, but nothing to shout about.

We appreciated the help in arranging a taxi to our next destination, but all in all would not have been hugely happy to have stayed for longer than the night as the rooms and surroundings were not really to our taste. I personally think the place is starting to look a little tired and needs a bit of a spruce and scrub to get it looking at its best!

• Stayed August 2013