“Great service - pity the tour operators weren't as good!”

Batik Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Kuching B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Great service - pity the tour operators weren't as good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Just back from 3 nights at the batik, and may I start by saying how terrific Jo-Lynne and the Batik team were - very friendly and tried so hard to make everything as good as it could be. In part, this service-oriented attitude set me up for a fall - the Batik commitment to service wasn't matched by others, and a few problems arose. Our Menyang Tais longhouse trip (carefully researched beforehand and planned with the Batik crew, who organised the tour guide) almost came unstuck when the day before we were due to do the tour, the guide 'realised' he had made a mistake about the longhouse he had quoted for, and offered the Lemanak longhouse (closer to Kuching and much more touristy) instead. Fortunately we stuck to our guns (the Batik chap didn't know of any difference between the two longhouses save that 'Lemanak is on river and Menyang Tais on lake'). We planned a trip to Semengoh to see the orangutans, but the driver arranged by Batik arrived half an hour late so we missed the start of the feeding time. Then the taxi we had asked to be organised to take us to the bus for Bako Ntional Park took off with other guests of the hotel instead of waiting for us, with the result that we missed the bus and had to hire a shuttle bus.

Silver lining about that - the shuttle bus gets to the Bako boat jetty faster than the bus, is a lot more comfortable and convenient, and only costs 10MR per person (we were a group of 3). On the way back from Bako they may try to charge 40, but you will be able to find one for 30 if you persist.

Jo-Lynne organised a guide at Bako for us, 'Is' (the short version of his name - I have forgotten his full name!), who was terrific and very knowledgeable. Yes, you can see monkeys without a guide, but if your group can afford the 100 ringgit per day, and if you're keen on animals and nature generally, in my opinion it's money extremely well spent.

So, full marks for the Batik team, but (from my own visit to Sarawak) remember that others may not share the same dedication to customer service.

A final note about the hotel itself - nice and stylish, not luxury, but then again the prices are not high-end either. And it certainly was a relief to escape the mid-day heat and humidity in our lovely cool room. I didn't have breakfast there (I went to the Choon Hui Cafe near the Grand Continental Hotel for laksa instead - fantastic), but my wife was not impressed with either of her breakfasts there.

Thanks Jo-Lynne!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank epsc007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed in the courtyard twin-sharing suite for four nights at Batik Boutique hotel. Our suite was roomy and bright with full length glass sliding door to let in natural light. It was so comfortable we found ourselves going back to the hotel every afternoon to avoid the scorching heat and to enjoy our naps. We also enjoyed the powerful rain shower. A minor complaint though (an area of improvement for the hotel): Because of the open concept of the shower area, the bathroom floor often became very wet after showers.

The choice of complimentary breakfast was good and very delicious. The staff are also friendly and helpful.

In terms of location, it is within walking distance to the Kuching waterfront and local eateries. For fans of Ramly burgers, you would love the location because a few young men set up a makeshift burger stall next to the hotel every night. The Chinese Barbeque Specialist, next to the hotel, is also a favourite haunt for us.

We highly recommend this hotel as a nice getaway for couples without burning a hole in the pocket!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard suite which will be quiet because it does not face the main road. Ask for compl...
1 Thank Travel_1-plus-1
Noosa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

What a welcome, which immediately demonstrated the exceptional service displayed at this hotel. Rooms were very trendy clean and every detail has not been skimped on! Especially the luxury tealeaves and fine coffee and silk dressing gowns.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RuthNoosa
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was in Kuching for work for three days but decided to tear myself away from my colleagues and booked myself here. I was smitten from the moment I saw photos and read reviews of this place. I was kinda scared if it didnt live up to my expectations; but OMG it so did.

I was picked up by their staff, pleasant chap. Upon arrival I was presented with a glass of ribena (yeay!) and some batik biscuits.

The one thing that I really wanted to try out was the bath tub, and that turned out super. I could open the sliding door to the bath to watch TV, which I thought was neat. The duvet was warm, lotsa plushy pillows and cushions to make me miss home less. Altho, the air-cond takes a little while to cool. And I somehow cant really figure out the TV remote :P The whole room had batik designs everywhere; from the tiles to the wall to the cushion covers. I thought the tiles were a nice touch.

On my 2nd day, I found something in my bowl of coco crunch. So in the afternoon I told Jo-Lynn, who was in charge. She apologized profusely but I tot, no biggie-everything with the hotel was splendid except for that glitch. As I was taking a nap, the doorbell rang and one of their staff showed up with this nicely wrapped basket full of sweet-smelling Tanamera products, as a way of saying sorry. Oh, earlier, they sent up a small basket of chocolate cookies too.

All in all, I'd say Batik really knows how to take care of their guests. Great, great staff, and the place really made my trip (work!) more worthwhile. Definitely going there for more.

Room Tip: Try out eating at Bites!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank FaridLaFille
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here in early July after reading the reviews on here and I was not disappointed! From the airport pick up until I was dropped off back at the airport following my stay I could not find anything to grumble about. All the staff were excellent, nothing was ever too much trouble. They were always available to help sort out excursions, offer tips for restaurants, bars, things to do etc. The hotel is fairly small and it has a great atmosphere. The communal areas are very smart and it was nice to sit and have a cold beer and chat to other guests and hotel staff at the bar following a days sightseeing.

My room was large, well decorated with smart furnishings, a large TV and an iPod dock. It was always spotlessly clean after housekeeping had been. The bed was large and extremely comfortable.

When you consider that it's just a short walk from the riverfront and the very reasonable room rates I think you'd struggle to find a better place to stay in Kuching.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank WindsorVillain
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

our stay in Kuching began with a pick up from the airport organized by Batik staff. on the way we got some useful information about the city. During the check in ( which was very quick) we got a refreshing welcome drink and after 3 minutes we were in our lovely room.
Rooms are spacious, well furnished and really comfortable! But the best part of the hotel is their staff. They make you feel a part of their family! They helped us organizing tours around Kuching area ( 2 full days) which costed us like 30% of the normal prices offered by the travel agent!!! If you're planning to stay in Kuching you definitely have to stay in Batik!

4 Thank PAULINA_roma
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Jo-Lynn and the team at the Batik Boutique hotel are an absolute dream team. The rooms are extremely spacious and clean, the breakfast was filling with a good selection to choose from - but what makes this place so special is the staff. Jo-Lynn helped us to organise trips and make the most of our time in Kuching. I would highly recommend this hotel to other travellers who want to make the most of their time and get great value for money.

We'll definitely be back next time . . .

Room Tip: We had a city view room which was very spacious.
2 Thank Custard1972