“A wonderful stay at The Kebun !”
Review of The Kebun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kuching
The Kebun
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
“A wonderful stay at The Kebun !”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Upon our arrival, we were so shocked to see the wonderful farm because it is even more beautiful than on the website. Me and my kids, stayed over Olivia's bungalow for 5 nights and the last night we stayed at Kebun Residences because we had an early flight the next day. This was so convenient for us because the the place is only around 10-15 minutes away from the airport.

In the Kebun, the staff there were so nice and friendly. Unexpectedly for a farm, it was maintained very well.This probably explains why there weren't a lot of mosquitoes around our area as well. We were recommended by Adrian to go for the mangrove cruise which me and my boys had so much fun doing! We were even lucky to see some dolphins and the beautiful fireflies at night. It was the peak of our whole experience especially for my boys. Some places I really recommend to visit is the Bako national park and the Semenggoh wildlife centre, it was such an amazing experience for me and my boys to see an orang utan up close in front of us. We also visited the Chinese temple that is very nearby Bako national park and had one of the best seafood I've tasted! And honestly, I was quite nervous navigating around Kuching for the first time but it was all good because the car was wired with a Garmin and also comfortable plus easy to drive with.

Now that we're back home, my boys could not stop talking about the amazing food and especially the goreng pisang that one of the staff, Lela, made for us everyday during the evening time. The boys really enjoyed the BBQ night that we had, they had a chance to BBQ their own chicken wings and it was all good fun.

Thank you so much Adrian, Lela and the other staffs for making our stay comfortable and memorable, we will definitely recommend you.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Yanti_Diandis

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
brisbane
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the headmans longhouse for 5 nights. We had a very memorable stay - the rooms are rustic and homely. Adrian and Jeanette was extremely helpful and the car was great to get us around, especially since the weather was not great.

The highlight of the stay was the New Year's Eve dinner .. They cooked us so much food, which all tasted amazing...crab, duck, prawns ..yummo!

Thanks for a sensational stay and your hospitality.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miss_Claire_Brisbane
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2013

First, the property is amazing! Adrian is a master and a genius in his own right, and has created something wonderful in the process of realizing his dream.

My stay at The Kebun was merely to kill a few days before 10 days of photography work at Bako National Park. However, my three nights here proved to be highly enjoyable. I slept in the authentic-feeling long house (3m high walls divide the rooms--open ceiling between tops of walls and roof; water/sink and fan in each). The entire place has a great deal of character. It is very unusual and highly interesting! I felt comfortable right away.

There is wifi, but it works best in the kitchen. Don't expect high-speed in this part of the world, of course, but it gets the job done. Food was good, too. The property is relaxing, well-maintained, and quite beautiful. There is even plenty of wildlife around for those who take the time to look.

A great bonus is the vehicle that is included with one's stay. The vehicles are old, sure, but I found mine to be quite mechanically sound (and with air conditioning!). An included GPS and cell phone to contact The Kebun means that this would be a great home-base for people wishing to see all of what Sarawak has to offer, on their own terms, and for very little cost. The Kebun has also created and provided in each room a substantial information guide about absolutely everything one can see.

Adrian is a passionate individual. He's often quite busy, as anyone would have to be to keep everything organized, but if you need him, he'll be there. He's great for advice and local knowledge!

I hope to visit again one day. Thanks, Adrian!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RMBolton
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We booked The Kebun after wanting something different from the usual hotel stay, as frequent business travellers, and this place hit the mark. Inclusion of vehicles was fantastic so we could self-drive anywhere we wanted - not owning for the past few years meant that this was a novelty. The meals were homely and the kitchen was generously stocked with basics. If you want specific types of tea or condiments, suggest to bring your own, so you can create your own rustic "home away from home".

I am very attractive to mosquitoes and my mistake was not bringing any repellent as there are lots of hungry mozzies. Coils and nets are provided but they still feasted on me during the Sat BBQ dinner outside - so bring lots of repellent!

The place is recommended for a farm-type stay where you have freedom and space to wander about, come and go as you please. The property is huge so worth taking strolls around the different gardens. It is not a place to expect uber luxury and pampering by lots of staff although you are given a mobile phone for communication which was very useful.

Recommend to go to the national parks and the wildlife rehabilitation centres. It is not full of animals, which is good as it is not a zoo, but go to contribute to their funding since they rely on tourist dollars to keep functioning.

Room Tip: Adrian's bungalow was at the back so we didn't have people walking past. Other bungalows are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I went to Kuching on business, but added a few days over the weekend to see a little bit of the country. Staying at the Kebun was perfect for what I wanted. It was close to central Kuching but not your standard boring generic hotel accommodation. It's really unique and I am really inspired by what Adrian has created here. He really shows you don't have to follow the sheep of a normal 9-5 job, there are interesting and fun things that you can create if you have some spirit & a sense of humour!

Everything good that the other reviewers already wrote is true. Having my own car with the cabin was perfect for exploring. The driving was easy and I felt safe. The food was excellent, especially having your own stocked fridge with fresh mangos. Yum.

Jeanette the volunteer (...oh yes - you get another mention Jeanette!) was lovely to me and looked after me really well. She even agreed to be my free "hire a friend" on the 2nd day as I was travelling alone and came with me to the local wildlife park and national park for some lovely walks & sight seeing.

Moving from this lovely place back into business mode afterwards was bizarre. I would have loved to have stayed longer and explore more of the area. I would recommend it to anyone with a bit of sense of adventure who wants something a bit different and authentic. Best of luck to you guys with the exciting future plans - I would happily come back! Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in the "little cabin". This was lovely for me as I was on my own and the bungalo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We loved The Kebun - it's a very relaxing place, the staff are super friendly and helpful, it's in a great location and the meals are delicious. We stayed for 5 nights in the Headman's Longhouse which was perfect for our family. Our two kids (3 and 5 years old) had plenty of space and enjoyed the novelty of sleeping under mossie nets. It was excellent having a car to visit the sights of Kuching, Kabuh National Park and the Sarawak Cultural Village at our own pace - and to have yummy packed lunches too!
Jeanette, Adrian and Godfrey all went out of their way to welcome us, help us settle in, look after us and help with our onward travels to Mulu and Bako National Parks too. They are really fun and happy people. Their local knowledge and helpfulness 'put the icing on the cake' for what was a wonderful family holiday.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Willow Vale, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2013

OMG. what a place. about 30 mins from the airport and 40 mins from the main tourist areas (depending on the traffic) this amazing place is very central to the main attractions in Sarawak (around Kuching)

More authentic than a 5* this gorgeous jungle house will suit you if you love quiet time and watching the world go by. Great base to explore Matang Wildlife sanctuary (orang-utans) or go for a drive to Bako national park, or semmengoh sancturary.

If you want bustle and 5* this place is not for you. What you will get however is an authentic feeling experience and a warm welcome. The guest houses come with a car and programmed GPS which makes it OH SO easy to drive. The drivers are pretty polite and slow in Sarawak. Not like the rest of asia.

Every detail is thought of at this guest house and I cannot rate it highly enough. The beds are comfortable and the rest areas ample. Gorgeous antiques and tribal art pieces line the walls of the long house. The loo and shower (hot) are outside but secure and safe. Adds to the rustic-ness of the experience. All areas are clean and well maintained.

We arrived late at night and were picked up by a joking Adrian. He was helpful and cheerful, even though our flight had been delayed. (We advised him before we left KL so he wasn't waiting around for us). We were welcomed at the Kebun by Jeanette and lots of friendly dogs!

Our dinner was kept hot and it was delicious!!! We were very grateful.

Amazing experience and brilliant for anyone not wanting 5*, but an authentic feeling adventure instead. Excellent value for $$.

Room Tip: the longhouse is completely adequate. There are quite a few private rooms, but also a big Headmans h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends