“Good locaiton and service”

Grand Margherita Hotel
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed here recently from 25- 29 november. Comparing to the Hilton which i stayed previously. This place is actually more convinient than the hilton as it is near a mcdonald(think it is 24hours) and 2 shopping malls as well as the top spot - a local price where tehre are various seafood stalls for eating purpose.

The room is smaller than the Hilton but the staff service is excellent if not better than Hilton9 surprisingly this is only a 4 star compare to Hilton's 5 stars). Like to give my thanks to the lady concierge/fron desk lady who help me change my room- i cna't recall her name but she is a most excellent staff.

The breakfast spread was sufficient/good with a lot of varieties and attentive staff - kudos to the staff at the Orchid Garden coffee house for their impeccable service.

Only thing i don't like is that the room door was faulty and it affected my holiday joy a bit as well that there are minmal facilities for children eg. changing tables etc.

I would definately book this place again if i am back in Kuching (which i likely would be).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear tnchSingapore

Season's Greetings and thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you back again. Rest assured, we have shared your feedback with our team for service improvement.

To ensure you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee. If we can be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to let us know when planning your next visit to Kuching.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I just visited this hotel on my last business trip & i strongly recommended not to sty at this hotel if you are not expecting bad service from the staff...I don't understand how this hotel can be nominate wt d award from trip advisor, breakfast restaurant waiter are bad service , after cleaning up the table when they is new guest came in the just stand there act don't see n talking and never come over and ask us coffee or tea, no cutleries on the table when took our food back n seated there more than 10mins.. I stood up and walk over n ask from the waiter they look at me and hold the coffee & tea pot walk away... I walked back n seated down took them 15mins to come back wt the cutleries n coffee tea.. This is really unacceptable... 2nd day the house keeping changed d bed liner... But when I rtn to the room there is ash on the bed sheet which I find it very annoyed.. When I open the blanket it is with quite numbers of dry blood stain on it...OMG.. This is so not hygiene !!!

I called house keeping to change it.. But took them 20mins.. And the attitude is super bad.. Like I purposely make them change again!! Frankly speaking I would not want to sleep on a bed sheet wt ash and blood stain!! And I requested for pack breakfast for my check out due to early flight , everytime also never provide plastic cutleries, if you do not hv it or what ever reason, pls do not give your customer breakfast box that need to use those cutleries and eat like fried eggs, sausage, bacons or salad wt dressing..! I can say when I open up the breakfast box like this and no cutleries provided I'll straight away throw it into the dustbin, as you think your customer is what beggar? Need to use finger to pick up those oil food n eat!!

My room is facing to the pool, my god so freaking noisy when there are people using the pool and at nite there is a bar called macam macam bar is so noisy the music play is too loud at 1030pm onwards.. Can't sleep at all...

I'm considering to stay at Pullman next time, as I sent an email to you reservation staff -Julia to complained n cc to your sales manager Pauline, non of hem reply. And you put me got no choice by putting this at here..!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Gary G
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Gary G

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we can always improve.

Rest assured, your invaluable feedback has been shared with the relevant departments for service improvement, and we apologise for a less than perfect experience.

We hope to have you stay with us again, and we'll make it up to you as Pauline has made this her priority, will be in touch with you shortly.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

There’s an English phrase “You can’t polish a turd” but in the case of the Grand Margherita you can sprinkle glitter on it – however, it remains a turd.
My wife and I stayed at this hotel when it was still the Holiday Inn a decade ago. Back then it was really crumbling and in need of a major overhaul. Fast forward to 2012 and on the surface of it the hotel has been renovated, but stay here a bit longer and you realise that the Grand Margherita has some serious defects which make it unsuitable for a decent, relaxing stay - especially if you have travelled half way around the world for an extended vacation. A lick of paint and some flat screen televisions in the bedrooms don’t change the fact that this is an average three star masquerading as something much grander.
During our stay we were in an “executive” room the first couple of nights before being moved down to a standard room a floor below. Here’s the headline: the rooms are no different. “Executive” room simply gets you a bathrobe and slippers – big deal! You also have access to a smaller fifth floor breakfast room and a limited selection of beverages between 5pm and 7pm – watery beer and a glass of red or white wine (subject to availability!)
All the rooms have massive noise problems as far as I can tell. The windows are just single-glazed and you can hear conversations at the pool below, or screaming kids at 8am, or the amateur karaoke maul-a-popular-song contest that was held poolside, very considerately, until 11pm one night.
Plumbing is pretty bad: we were constantly mopping up the bathroom floor after using the handbasin and there is a general musty odour around certain areas.
Housekeeping: two occasions they needed chasing to make up the room. On the day of our daughter’s birthday, we left the room at 10am and it was still unmade at 2pm. Strangely, even though the Do Not Disturb light was left OFF and the Make Up Room light switched ON, when we returned someone had switched on our DND light and flicked off the Make Up Room light. Other simple requests for housekeeping took a frustratingly long time to follow up, and were then followed up with an irritating customer service phone call. Yeah, cheers for that.
All in all, this was a lowlight of our SE Asia holiday and we stayed there as it was booked for us by a relative in Kuching and we were lulled into thinking it had all changed since the bad old days of the Holiday Inn.
My advice: stay elsewhere – Hilton and Pullman being the first two choices that spring to mind.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are likely to be better and more conducive to a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Phil S
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Phil S

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we can always improve.

Rest assured, your invaluable feedback has been shared with the relevant departments for service improvement, and we apologise for a less-than-perfect experience.

We hope to have you stay with us again, and we'll make it up to you. To ensure that you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee. If we can be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to let us know when planning your next visit to Kuching.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We enjoyed the position of this Kuching hotel, about 15 minutes stroll along the river from the main town centre. It is adjacent to a small shopping complex which has good-value eateries downstairs. Views of the river and parliament building are spectacular. Breakfast is particularly good! Nice swimmimg pool. Make sure you look for Nurul in the office next to the main foyer. Tell her Mark sent you and she will give you all the details for excursions etc.We particularly enjoyed the river cruise and the morning trip to see the orangutans. Taxis to and from the airport are at a fixed price and good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the river in the older block.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear SydneyMarka

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you and your travel companion have enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to having you back again. Rest assured, we have shared your feedback with our team and with Nurul.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Traveled there for a business related trip using their conference rooms.
The hotel rooms were ok (not for my client though. apparently its not properly cleaned-hairs on the bed and coffee stains on the work tables)

However their service and management of the conference event was appalling. In course of the conference (day 1 of 2 days conference), there was a strong smell of durian permeating through the room (the arrangement was to have aromatherapy throughout the conference but was not prepared when that happened. Could have negated the smell if everything was according to the arrangement).
Then there is another problem where the dinner food timing was wrong. Arrangement were to have the dinner at 6.30 PM (ie. 18.30 hours) but the kitchen team arbitrarily assumed that the dinner timing is 8.30 PM without consulting the organizer (me).
All throughout there was other minor things such as the hotel personnel's availability during the conference (such as when there is a need to have some beverage for my client, hotel staff uses the room to travel to different parts of the hotel and many others)
Did place a complaint with the sales team (they manages my booking for the conference). While they are friendly and apologetic, but all that they do was say sorry....
Overall a disappointing experience (especially since my client and stakeholder were present and experienced it as well....)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear JulianLim

Thank you for taking your time to let us know how we can always improve.

We are aware of this unfortunate incident and corrective action has been taken, for service improvement.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

When we arrived at this hotel, we were greeted by a very friendly staff. I've been to this hotel with my family many times and this is the first time i stay here with my husband. Cool place to stay as they have a bar at the ground floor, short walking distance to Top Spot and you can have your evening stroll at the waterfront which is just 3 minutes walking form the hotel. I always love staying here because of the location. Service is good and the room is very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: New wing which they did some renovation for the rooms are a good place to stay. My room faced the ri...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear PamJebbie

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you and your husband have had a great stay with us, and we look forward to having you back again.

To ensure you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee. If we can be of assistance in any way, perhaps for the year-end holidays, please do not hesitate to let us know when planning your next visit to Kuching.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Grand Margherita Hotel was a wonderful hotel located right in the heart of Kuching. I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of september, and was extremely impressed with everything from the rooms, the location, the staff and also the facilities.

Our room was nice and spacious, and the bathroom was clean. The bed was the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept in, and the pillow was soft and perfect for a good nights sleep. The view from the room was relatively nice, and the air conditioner was perfect, and cooled us down after very warm day trips around Kuching. One problem I did face at this hotel was the shower. I struggled to turn it on, but that could have just been my lack of knowledge regarding different showers in foreign countries. Overall, the rooms in the hotel were very impressive and worth every cent spent.

The breakfast at the Grand Margherita was superb. There was a very large variety of food to chose from, such as toast, muffins, fresh fruit, fried rice, noodles and some desserts. The waiters at breakfast were very friendly and we were greeted every morning with a smile and a welcome which was a lovely way to start the day.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful whenever we needed help. They catered for our needs, and always offered a smiling face and a hello when we were in the lobby, which was nice.

Finally, the location of this hotel is perfect. It is located literally steps from the riverfront, and is in close proximity to all of the sights in Kuching. This hotel was wonderful and made our stay in Kuching very memorable. I would highly recommend staying here - it will not fail to disappoint!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank elceehayward
MarcomPaula, Public Relations Manager at Grand Margherita Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear elceehayward

Thank you for your review and recommendation.

We are pleased that you and your friends have had a comfortable and memorable stay with us, and we look forward to having you back again.

To ensure you get unbeatable rates the next time around, do check out our Best Price Guarantee. If we can be of assistance in any way, perhaps a special request for breakfast, please do not hesitate to let us know when planning your next visit to Kuching.