“The best hotel in Kuching!”
Review of Pullman Kuching

Pullman Kuching
Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is the best hotel in Kuching for a good price. Spa, restaurant and service were excellent!
The location of the hotel is also very good. We really enjoyed our stay a lot! Would definitely recommend it to anybody traveling to Borneo. Breakfast was a bit pricey but you good so much food for it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear OntheRun S, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Should you need any further enquiries, do drop an email to me at eric.tan@accor.com.

There are newer reviews for Pullman Kuching

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel with my family. The only good thing about this hotel is its location- walking distance to the waterfront. Another good thing about the hotel is its comfy bed material like other Accor hotels.
We booked 4 rooms but were split into different floors, it is disappointing since the booking made 4 months ahead! Been to Pullman Putrajaya and Pullman Sydney before, and I think that this Pullman Kuching hotel doesn't feel like a Pullman one, rather feel like a budget hotel room with IKEA-ish decoration. It's a a shame because Sarawak or Borneo is rich with its cultural value, but the hotel is just plain boring, no character. Yes, the bathroom is spacious, but no safety features, it has slippery floor. Hotel bathroom amenities were presented poorly- it looks a plastic box for school science project and those were sealed in plastic that looks like for static devices use. The basement parking is a general parking which also serves for the shopping mall's visitors. Nothing special I can think of this hotel.

Tips: There is cafe (Warong Nusantara) behind the hotel that serve local food, and it is delicious and surprisingly cheap too. There's also a seafood foodcourt nearby called 'Top Spot', it is on the top floor of the parking space complex.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ct_yat

Dear ct_yat, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We will review the shortfall for future improvements. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Pullman is in a good location within Kuching, approximately 5 mins walk to the waterfront and there is a small 24 hour convenience store within a couple of mins from the lobby where you can stock up on basics.

The rooms are well presented, clean and spacious with floor to ceiling glass windows which give good views of the river and the bathroom was large and well equipped.

The breakfast buffet was good, with plenty of choice however the hotel prices for drinks in the bar were high.

The downsides were that we found that the wi-fi in the room didn't work and it was also slow in the lobby area, however there are a few computers in this area for guests to use.

The other downside is that there was a musty smell in the corridors - but not in the rooms.

We stayed for 3 nights and found it be to very comfortable and would recommend it to anyone considering a hotel of this quality and price. Kuching itself is also worth visiting - its not too large to walk around and there are plenty of good eating places.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high floor with view of the river.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajpatt
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear ajpatt, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are rest assured and review the shortfall for future improvements. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had a great experience during our first stay 2 years ago but a little disappointed this time.

The Bad:
Called Pullman directly to book our stay few weeks ahead and requested for 2 baby cots for my twins. However, upon arrival, the receptionist doesn't seem to be aware of this and promise to get them for us and I saw her whispered to another colleague in panic. We then headed to our room and spent an hour there before headed out for dinner and no baby cot were sent. We called again after dinner, and they promised to send in a short while and informed that it is chargeable but didn't mention how much. Chargeable or not we'll still need the 2 cots but as good customer service attitude, they should have informed about the charges when I made the booking and put a remark on my booking instead hunting for them upon request on my arrival!

On the 2nd evening of our stay, while our 9 year old boy was taking his shower, we heard a loud thud from the bathroom and ran in to have a look. We found our son sat on the bathroom bench holding his foot in pain. We also saw a piece of broken tile on the floor of the shower room. The bathroom comes with a bathtub and a separate shower room adjacent to the bathtub. The tile which fell from the side of the bathtub was actually the cover to the pipes underneath. The tile was fitted with clips at both sides but the clips appear to be rusty. It must have gave way and dropped on my son’s foot while he was taking his shower. He was in shock and pain and his foot bruised. We informed the receptionist on our way out to the city, they casually asked if our son is ok and said will send someone to have a look at the bathroom. They also asked if we wish to change our room which we rejected at the thought of repacking and unpacking our stuff again. There were no other compensation offered. Not even bother to offer medical examination. While checking out on the 4th day, a lady at the reception counter whom sounded like the person incharge approached us when heard the room number and name. She apologized for the incident/accident and at the same time asked what our son was doing when the tile fell. We had to repeat the story again, there seems to be lack of communication among the staff. This lady gave us her business card which I have soon misplaced and mentioned that we could look for her during our next booking and she will arrange something for us. I wonder what she meant by that but didn’t want to prolong further on this matter because I don’t see further discussion will lead us anywhere and we had to rush to the airport for our flight.

I felt funny on the way she asked what our son was doing when the tile fell. Only when in the taxi did I realize she was implying that the kid was such a genius to know of the tile cover at the side of the bathtub and perhaps tried to pull it out and had it fell on his foot? This thought disgusted me. The room rate charged per night was RM19 more than what I booked earlier but I only realize it when we reached home. I wonder if I was given a wrong rate when I did my booking or they lumped the baby cot charges into the room bill? It was not listed separately.

Breakfast spread was wide but food quality was average. The preserves/bread spread were of the lowest quality. Coffee was not offered but had to be requested and no refill offered for the 3 days we were there. One (or some) of the serving dish had a lid with loose hinge where the lid fell on the serving gear I was holding and the noodles splattered everywhere. There was a chef who happened to be there to witness the incident but said and did nothing. The same thing happened on the following morning where the lid fell again while I was dishing noodle. I’m not sure if it was the same serving dish but it was embarrassing to mess up the place looking like a fool. I had to squeeze in my plate on the table which was packed with trays of breakfast spread, one hand holding the lid and the other hand to dish the food. I also found a noodle landed on my shoulder on one of my picture taken over breakfast. No wonder the chef stared at me. How nice of him for saving me from embarrassment by not highlighting it to me (pun intended).

The Good:
Our deluxe room was spacious and love the bathroom with view and the bed and pillows were real comfort. The baby cots provided were decently done. There was a small children play area next to the pool which was adequate. The Hills shopping mall which was conveniently connected to the hotel offers decent eateries, although not fantastic but sufficient.

We chose Pullman for their spacious room but after our experience this time, we will probably switch back to Hilton on our next visit. They seriously need to train their staff on handling customer complain in a professional manner instead of trying to act over familiar with customer to get away with problems.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear jumpingjackmah,

Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching!

I thank you for your feedbacks on the unfortunate incident which had occurred. Please allow me to investigate on the few issues which you have highlighted as I view this seriously and should not be happening in Pullman Kuching. In the meantime, I would appreciate if you could provide me with your email address via my email at Eric.TAN@accor.com and I shall give you a favorable reply on the matter.

Thank you and my sincere apology once again.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The entrance lobby is beautifully bright and full of bars and coffee shops and restaurants etc. A lovely cheery welcome to this property which stands one main street back from the Riverside. I am sure that most rooms have a view of the river as the hotel is on top of a small hill. I was staying on the executive floor, the ame floor on which the lounge is situated. Let's talk about the room first. I was lucky enough to be upgraded to a Junior suite. This is enormous, two very large rooms and also large bathroom. It is a little plainly furnished in the lounge but the bedroom seems more cosy. During the day the views are fantastic and at night of course there is the Kuching skyline at which to goggle. The problem I found was the completely inadequate lighting in the room, especially the lounge. It consists of various spots and one standing lamp in the corner and one desk lamp. For a room of its size the lighting was hopeless, either too bright like a Chinese restaurant or too dark like the black hole of Calcutta.
The Executive Lounge however is wonderfully lit and offers fairly extensive canapes, afternoon tea cakes and decent cocktails etc. There are lovely sofas and chairs on which to relax.and it is manned by fairly experienced and helpful staff.
The swimming pool is partly covered so is good for those who do not want to be in direct sunshine, fairly large but the area around again lacks warmth of decor and plants etc.
Staff in the rest of the hotel are very helpful and polite and seem well trained.
All in all, quite a good experience for the weekend but if I were to return, I would be bringing my own lighting with me!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear RalphSingapore66, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed in Pullman Kuching for 4 nights in May 2013 for the first time.
Room comfortable with great view of the river and friendly staff
Hotel just minutes away from the river and in a central location - just walking distance to seafood restaurants and also local hawker food.

Room Tip: Great value hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear meldans, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was my second time staying in Pullman Kuching. The first stay was good but not this time around. Firstly they accidentally charged rm3200 to my credit card which did not do through but nearly gave me a heart attack!! The housekeeping service was not good either as we checked into the room, the tea/coffee facility was not replenished, we had to call for them. We also asked for extra towel and blanket which seemed to take the scenic route before arriving to our room.

Other than that, the stay was ok.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear rhairul, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We will review and rectify the shortfall for future improvements.