“Extremely frustrating, mistake after mistake”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Pullman Kuching

Pullman Kuching
Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
New York
“Extremely frustrating, mistake after mistake”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We are currently staying at the Pullman for the long weekend. A couple of small annoyances quickly accumulated into bigger issues, all within the first 24 hours.

Upon arrival, we noticed hair on bathroom floor. Our non-smoking room had smoke smell in the air and bed. The front desk staff sent us to the second floor when the requested spa is actually down the street.

The first major issue was when inquiring about the Kuching Wetlands National Park (which we had read about in a recently published guidebook), the front desk staff had never heard of it and looked at us like we were crazy and making it up. We asked for concierge -- which isn't clearly designated -- and, after looking at our guidebook, he knew what we were talking about; but all he asked the staff to do was call the tour company listed in the guidebook. We got no added value or other recommendation. We could have called that number ourselves without any help.

At this point, we were only 12 hours into our stay, and we were quite frustrated with the disappointing service. We asked to speak to the general manager, and were told he was en route to Singapore. We were directed to the duty manager, instead. He listened to our comments and explained it was because the front desk staff we spoke to were new. That's no excuse -- it's OK if a new staff doesn't know the answer; there are professional ways to respond and refer to someone who does know. The duty manager said he would try to reach the GM to call us, but we haven't heard anything yet. While out in town for dinner, we stopped by a hostel and received much better service and information regarding the tour we were looking for.

Upon returning to the hotel after a massage, all we wanted to do was open our bottle of duty-free wine and relax. We requested a corkscrew from in-room dining (who we later found out was actually the operator). It took 2 additional calls and 45 minutes for us to get what was a broken corkscrew. We called back to request another one. In the time it took to get the new corkscrew, I had gone down to the lobby bar myself to have the wine opened, talked to the duty manager in the absence of a GM, and returned to the room.

Having worked in the hotel industry and knowing Pullman is supposedly a 5-star, upscale brand, we had high expectations of the room and service, which have not been met time and time again. The first 24 hours of our long weekend stay has largely been frustrating, disappointing, and infuriating due to the poorly trained, incompetent staff and their lack of response. For a hotel of this positioning, we would have expected the hotel to have flagged our room number after our first feedback so that the staff would know to ensure strong execution on future requests. Instead, it has been one mistake after another. We would have moved accommodations, but we already pre-paid for an Internet rate. We sincerely hope our feedback is considered so others do not have to face this kind of (lacking) service.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Liudogger
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Liudogger, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We will review and work out of the shortfall for future improvements.

Should you need any further enquiries, do drop an email to me at eric.tan@accor.com.

Regards, Eric Tan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The positive:

Newish hotel, nice gym, pool and spacious lobby.

What makes me rate the hotel "terrible"

* no WIFI in rooms especially for a newish hotel
* extremely slow WIFI in the lobby area
* annoying musicians with so-called live music, play in the lobby outrageously loud music in the evenings - making it impossible to use a phone or concentrate on work as WIFI is not available in rooms.
* friendly but very inefficient staff
* no knowledge of A-Club benefits nor much knowledge of Advantage Plus.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BM Raffael S
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear BM Raffael S, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Rest assure and rectify the shortfall for future improvements. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Selangor, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Had to wait for a while to check in although there was only one other guest checking in. The lady was busy discussing with her colleague although she was prompted twice by the person checking in the other guest.

Had problems connecting to the internet in the room, asked for assistance. They sent someone to fix it but he could not do much and left saying he would return with someone who could help. That was the last we saw of him and no one turned up till we left.

Have stayed in other 5 star hotels but this did not really live to it's 5 star status.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear leila1010, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We will review the shortfall for future improvements.

sydney, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in early April, 2012 and made the booking through the Accor website to ensure points were credited towards my Le Club Accor account. I booked a deluxe room with a king-sized bed.

Arrival

I arrived directly via taxi from the airport and went through to a very large lobby, similar to what I’d seen at the Four Points Sheraton in Kuching but possibly larger and more luxurious. The reception attendant friendliness and efficiency were both good.

The Room

The deluxe room was clean with the wooden flooring being easy to maintain. It was a large room with an empty area given the set-up of the furniture. The immediate impression was of a clean-cut and minimalist design, similar to what’s found at the Four Points Sheraton in Kuching and also experienced in the Doubletree Hilton-branded properties.

Although designed to be relatively fuss-free, the room was still comfortable and quite luxurious. The sofa was comfortable as was the bed, which had comfortable sheets as well. Other items were included in the room such as exercise mats and weights. The flat-screen TV was also adequately-sized and of a good quality. Perhaps the furniture did appear to lean towards the budget variety. The ceilings were high so that helped to create an impression of space and reduced clutter, which was probably the aim. The room was large enough to house a spacious and separate closet and dressing area.

The bathroom was also large with both a bathtub and shower including a rainshower. There was a window looking out onto the city next to the bathtub which went all the way to the ceiling but I wasn’t sure if it was possible to see in from outside so had to draw the blinds when using it, which seemed to defeat the purpose. The bathtub itself was just medium-sized and not the largest.

Internet access was included in my room rate and was quite fast and I had no issues with the reliability either. There was no Wi-Fi access available within the room and the Wi-Fi in the public areas such as the lobby required a separate password which changed every so often so a new password needed to be requested and that was quite troublesome.

The view from my room was out towards the city area as well as the riverside so took in quite a wide expanse of Kuching. The mountains were also visible.

Please note that I have videos of the hotel room available through the link in my profile section.

Hotel Location

The hotel is centrally-located, directly connected to the Hills Shopping Centre. The shopping centre itself was a little barren at the time but still had a few good eateries included. There was an OldTown café and also some other good eateries and a small foodcourt-type establishment. The best of the cafés would probably be the Bing Café located in the shopping centre as that appears to be quite well-known in Kuching. I like their fruit crushes as well as coffees.

In terms of more solid shopping, either the Spring or the closer Plaza Merdeka would be better options. There was a convenience store connected to the Hills Shopping centre as well as a 7-11 nearby closer to the Hilton.

The hotel is near the Kuching riverside and also near some older and more traditional shopping centres such as the Tun Jugah and Sarawak Plaza. The Top Spot Foodcourt was nearby, serving fresh seafood in the evening with an excellent variety. I’ve managed to try the foodcourt twice and the food was good. I wasn’t too sure if the prices were competitive by Kuching standards.

Hotel Public Areas and Facilities

I tried the hotel buffet breakfast on the ground-floor restaurant twice. The food was good and there was a decent spread but the main issue at that time were the flies and the restaurant location. It was next to the hotel’s entrance with the cars visibly coming in and out of the hotel so it was not an ideal location. Also, for a 5-star hotel, they really needed to find a way to deal with the flies and to ensure that they were not present near the food or in the seating areas.

I didn’t try the pool or the outdoor Jacuzzi as they looked quite busy at the time. The pool looked to be large. I did try the pool bar and ordered a drink there. The service was quite slow and I was not acknowledged by anyone until I asked for something on the menu. Many items on the menu were also not available and even the ordering and delivery process was not particularly friendly.

Taxis were always on standby outside the front entrance but they appeared to be only of the slightly more expensive blue executive taxi variety, which are good in that they are in better condition but their rates also appear to be higher than standard taxis by a significant amount, assuming that the meter is turned on.

I tried to access the business centre for printing out a few Le Club Accor vouchers but it was only open upon request and they didn’t want to open it in the morning when I asked about it. Instead, I was offered the public terminals to send them an e-mail containing the vouchers, which they then printed off.

Generally, the public areas and rooms also looked large and gave a spacious impression, very similar to what I’d experienced in the Four Points Sheraton in Kuching.

Staff Service

The staff service and attitude were generally good but there were just a few issues, firstly the pool attendants were not the best as mentioned above. The door attendants also seemed like they could improve, as they didn’t appear to be even in their treatment of all the guests, which included things like the strength of greetings, etc. I was able to observe them as I sat in the lobby area for a while.

In terms of knowledge, they also could improve a little. I was trying to redeem my Le Club Accor vouchers on the last day but the front desk staff at first didn’t know what to do with the voucher and they asked somebody more senior, who looked at the voucher and said that it could only be accepted at an ibis hotel in France and therefore could not be used for the stay. It was true that there was a term printed on the front stating, “accepted in ibis hotels in France only on weekends”, but this meant that the voucher could only be used during the weekends in the case of ibis hotels in France but did not mean that the voucher was ONLY valid at ibis hotels in France on weekends. Finally, a member of the front-desk staff who appeared to come from mainland China arrived on the scene to clarify the situation and I was able to credit the vouchers towards the stay.

Conclusion

The hotel no doubt has a good standard of rooms and public areas/facilities. However, the service standards probably would need to improve if they were to match the hardware. Having said that, the hotel offered a very central location and was still excellent value all-round. However, there were just too many little service and restaurant issues preventing it from being a fully-fledged five-star hotel on the international scale.

NOTE: Videos of the hotel room are available through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Perryw, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We will review the shortfall for future improvements. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been to Malaysia 30 times and I have stayed in plenty of hotels - this hotel in Kuching though was one of the best experiences in Malaysia ever - the executive floor with a stunning view over Kuching and surroundings together with the luxuriousness of the suite room that I was upgraded to, gave me a real feeling of being an honoured guest.
I had an extremely tight schedule and had two guests visiting for breakfast - with no extra charges in a calm and businesslike executive lounge just my two nights stay to a perfection level - this is for sure a hotel that I will return to in some not too distant future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear brian_hansen, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm impressed with the clean and spacious room. The service staff were friendly. Kids enjoyed the stay and will definitely come back. Location is great with many good eateries close by. The buffet breakfast was better than the lunch spread, though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Yum338, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay and enjoy stay with us. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights whilst on a three day tour of the area and have to say it was fab, food amazing , rooms fresh and modern and facilities excellent but best of all was value for money, five star hotel with such great prices on food and drink. Great central location loved it will stay again

• Stayed March 2013
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Gina H, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I would like thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I’m looking forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.