“Good city hotel”

Ranked #6 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Singapore, Singapore
“Good city hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I read the positive reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor and decided to choose this hotel. I booked through the hotel site directly and the rate was very reasonable. The hotel is located on the hill side and it is a very short walking distance to the river and the city center.
The hotel looks still very new and the room is clean and comfortable to catch qualities of sleep!! They have very nice outdoor swimming pooI, too.
I did not try any food in the hotel as they are bit over priced and you can get cheap and nice food outside.
They have small shopping mall downstairs, but nothing was attractive except some restaurants where you can get cheaper food.
Overall, this hotel is recommended for both tourists and business trippers. Value for money!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Valued Customer, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I thank you for your feedbacks regarding your recent stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to Pullman Kuching.

Should you need any further enquiries, do drop an email to me at eric.tan@accor.com.

Regards, Eric Tan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights and had 2 interconnecting rooms for our family of four. The rooms are to a good standard and fairly large and as we booked them in an Accor sale very reasonably priced. We had problems with the air-con in one room but the engineers managed to sort that out. The hotel is a high-rise hotel on a small hill on top of a shopping centre so the view from the rooms was great over the city and river. The pool is very large, at least 25 metres long, and excellent for lap swimming. Free wi-fi in lobby area where there are also 2 PCs for use but you have to pay to use internet in the rooms. We had breakfast in the hotel on one morning and compared to costs generally in Kuching was overpriced and food quality was only average. We went to the local places across the road on other mornings - very tasty and very cheap and a much more authentic Kuching experience. For laundry we used the local shops - same day service for 6-8 MYR per kilo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RealSydneySwan
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, November 6, 2012

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This hotel is one of many newly built in a city still with charm and not yet destroyed by mass tourism.For that reason not everyone spoke english and normally expected practice for a high class hotel was missing. The staff did try the rooms were spotless the food ok for light meals. The restaurents were expensive and one could very cheaply close by.The views from the rooms were also spendid
I think overall it was a good place to stay, will I,m sure improve as the town embraces more of a tourist industry.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have beautiful views
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, October 28, 2012

Perth
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Fantastic city view from room
Room and bathroom large
Fantastic shower head
Very clean
King bed very comfy
Breakfast was great we had plenty to choose from
and enjoyed it all Great choise of cakes too
great service 5 stars from us and
location was good too

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, October 24, 2012

Selangor Darul Ehsan
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was in Kuching last Friday for a short stay, really short, less than 20 hours, as do not want to miss daughter’s birthday on the next day.

A small customer get together session was organised by About Communication for our client – OSRAM Malaysia, the lighting specialist from Germany.

Prior to the meeting, we have been communicating with the Pullman banquet sales team and most of the time, we sent in our request via email and followed by phone calls. The Pullman banquet sales team was most of the time rather slow in getting back. Slow, like in terms 1 or 2 days for something really simple. Like signage.

It is the very first time that I dealt with a salesperson who actually do not turn up for the event, to check if everything is according to what we have briefed the sales team. More so, the salesperson, also late in responding to fixing the arrangement which was not according to plan.

Before I continue, I just like to highlight that Pullman, requires the clients to pull the man. You got what I mean?

The service level of the banquet personnel varies from one supervisor to the other. Our meeting started at 3pm, and we got a slow to react supervisor. Or rather insensitive to the surrounding personnel. Do not check the following prior to the event:-

1. Room temperature

2. Drinking water on the desk

3. Cleanliness in the meeting room

4. Signature, rather unclear with which room is which

5. Getting feedback and comment from the client, whether everything according to the requirements, basically none.

The service level only improved towards the end of the meeting, which was closer to the dinner, because different banquet personnel has taken over.

I checked, there was only one event going on that day, nothing else. Except another smaller dinner which is in the other room. Other than that, with the many banquet staff they have, we have very little support.

Let’s talk about the accommodation. The room was ok, but not as great as FourPoint by Sheraton, although the rate is higher than Sheraton.

You know what is the funniest thing? When I told the banquet salesperson to book me a room, I was offered at rack rate, and was told corporate rate. I then found out that online booking saved me 20% of the rate. Well, which I did.

I packed all my stuff and came down at 5:45am the next morning to prepare for check out and was invited by the reception to have breakfast before my 7:20am flight. I said ok. I stepped into the lobby cafe at 5:55am, and was told the place is closed and breakfast was not ready yet. I waited and the lights of the cafe only turned on at 6:10am. Ok, Pull Man.

I know you are going to ask me if I am coming back to Pullman Kuching or any other Pullman, I am not.

The Pullman personnel may save the effort, unless they are going to refund me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr Tan,

Greetings from Pullman Kuching,

First of all I would like to thank you for your constructive feedbacks on the list of shortfalls you have highlighted during your short stay with us for your meeting event. Upon receiving your feedbacks through Trip Advisor comments, I have immediately briefed my entire team related to your experience and indeed I do find areas which require improvement towards service delivery. Please be assured that corrective measures are being taken to avoid recurrence of such, which is definitely not part of our Pullman standards and service.

With regards to your comment on the room rate, the rate you were quoted is a conference rate which is a fixed rate for all our conference participants. At that point, the internet rate was indeed lower as the internet rates fluctuates from time to time with booking conditions such as prepaid, non-cancellation and amendment policy.

Mr Tan, once again, I sincerely apologize on the shortcomings you had encountered and I do hope that this will not deter you in visiting us again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me at eric.tan@accor.com if you require further assistance or planning for your future trip so that I will be able to make arrangements for you personally.

Eric Tan
Pullman Kuching
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We are staying at the Pullman Kuching which is supposed to be the newest hotel and highest ranking hotel in town.  If it wasn't built in the early 80s it certainly reflects the style and class of that era. In fact we find that the hotel was built in 2009, so it is totally inexcusable that the place has no design flair or style. That is not to say that the Pullman is a rough place ... It is reasonably clean most things work and with room rates between the 50s to 60s  it is not too hard to take. Small downers are that the air con broke down early in the piece and the bathroom featured a dark flush of mold in the obvious places. Communion with other tourists in town reveals that all the other main accommodation alternatives seemed to have much worse problems ... broken down lifts, noisy repairs and renovations and the like. The other negative for the Pullman is the price of just about everything in the bars and restaurants. The fare seems quite acceptable, but similar items are a third the price in the adjoining Hills shopping centre and a quarter to 20% elsewhere in town. In fact a coffee or alcoholic beverage in the Pullman will set you back 6 to 10 times what it costs just down the road. The lack of Wifi in rooms is also inexcusable in any relatively new hotel, and particularly in an Accor hotel, where we have observed it retrofitted in much older properties.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up on the west side overlooking the city, bazaar st and the river for better vie...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Customer, Warmest Greetings from Pullman Kuching! I thank you for your feedbacks regarding your recent stay with us. Rest assured that we will review the shortfall for future improvements.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had a great 6 day stay at the Pullman - conveniently located for the centre of Kuching, local restaurants, and getting out to Bako, Damai etc. Cafe Chat at the hotel is particularly handy for purchasing a pre or post day out coffee, hot chocolate etc. Very clean hotel, helpful staff and would definitely recommended to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
PullmanKuching, General Manager at Pullman Kuching, responded to this review, October 21, 2012