“Great base in Kuching”

Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
sydney
“Great base in Kuching”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Lime Tree. All the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, particularly Teo and Gabriel.. There was one occasion where we returned to our room after a jungle trek to find no towels but a quick call to reception and fresh towels were delivered within 5 minutes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2010

This hotel is a very nice place right next to Chinatown in Kuching.
The staff are marvellous, the rooms are very good.
Special mention to Mr Kho the manager who sorts any problems for you instantly

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2010

As you know, Singaporeans are food lovers and we were not disappointed with the quality of the hotel’s food! On the contrary, we were very impressed and surprised! Credits to Mr. Chef! My colleagues praised the food everyday even though it’s only breakfast!
The rooms were cozy and comfortable, and we liked the scent sprayed along the corridor and in our rooms. We also liked the breezy outdoor patio overlooking the waterfront! The service is quite commendable as well when we made certain requests known or look like we need help, they willingly assist.

I would like to thank Ms Julie for ALL the hard work and arrangements made for us prior to the trip. Apart from basic hotel arrangements like the airport transfers, the amendments in rooming & makan, she went all out to even help us reserve a place at Top Spot and also HIP Corp at tHe Spring Mall! Such personalized and sincere assistance are hardly found even in reputable hotels.

But my amazement did not stop there. When Mr Kho and his team greeted us on the first day, we truly felt like VIPs. He walked through my itinerary with me to ensure that our itineraries were in sync and I’m so glad he did so because there were quite a bit of discrepancies between the two copies! Mr Kho also walked me personally to one of the best kolo mee in Kuching and got Chef to accompany us to Top Spot to choose dishes!
On the last day, it was a sad goodbye. Halfway through our last conference, I had news that our return flight had been delayed. But why worry when there’s always Mr Kho to the rescue! Like superman, he helped me in arranging the coach transport timings even though we messed things up a little. All I need to do was to wait for his call and his assuring voice saying “don’t worry, I’ve settled everything!”

I was also very touched when he called again after all the last minute arrangements asking if everything was alright and whether we are on our way to the airport or lost somewhere in Mt Santubong.

To Mr Kho and Ms Julie Tay, I am eternally grateful.

My colleagues will definitely come again and choose Lime Tree Hotel over all other overrated hotels for their retreat. I know because this is what they told me.

One of the reasons why we frequent Kuching is to visit Blessed Church headed by Ps Lim Gee Tiong. So the next time we’re here for a visit, we’ll be honored to stay at the Lime Tree Hotel once again.

Kudos to all at the Lime Tree!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We arrived in Kuching after our stop in Kuala Lumpur, where we stayed in the high-starred and luxury Royale Chulan. Although the hotels have nothing in common, I have to say we could not feel at totally ease in the RC hotel like we felt in the LimeTree hotel. Here is why: while the staff in the RC was incredibly neutral and cold (might have been different if I had shown up in business suit, if you see what I mean...), the Limetree staff was very helpful and available: just ask them whatever you need to ask (don't wait for them to guess what you think, that'll make it easier for everyone). We enjoyed sharing and talking with Limetree's staff like nowhere else in Malaysia. Their advice reveal precious to us when coming to decide for the activities during our stay.
The rooms were simple (we booked the basic ones), clean and functional and prices were fair and aligned with what you would expect while considering this hotel for a stay.
The internet connection (wifi and 2 computers available in the lobby) is available at no charge, which is remarkable.
The top roof bar is really nice, well designed and the barmen - like the hotel night receptionist - have always welcomed us with smiles; that's just perfect after a long day visiting the national parks or a long walk across the city.
The hotel is located few minutes away from the start of the riverwalk. There are many typical places to go eat close to the hotel and we 'd advise a very genuine, inexpensive and tasty "food court" named Top Spot, dedicated to sea food and situated 5 min from the hotel.
All in all, a very nice value for a very good and recommended hotel for those who come to visit Kuching and the surrounding parks; considering the hotel is new and the availability of Ms. Tay to take in cosideration and answer every comment on Tripadvisor, we certainly expect the Limetree hotel to improve even more!
Olivier & Roberta

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We had a great time in Kuching & the surrounding sights with Limetree as our base for the 4 days we were there. we quite enjoyed our stay there.

The hotel is located reasonably close to the Kuching waterfront – about a 10minute walk & is fairly new. The rooms & linen are clean, beds comfortable and the furniture new. The breakfast spread has a very good variety – noodles, pastries, soups, sandwiches, cereals & all the standard beverages. The staff is also quite helpful & courteous.

The Limetree also has a rooftop bar which gives some awesome waterfront views in the night.

The only thing I wished were better was the price (160RM for a double room). Admittedly, hotels in Kuching are more expensive than the other Peninsular Malaysia cities – but the rates could be lower. However, you do get your money’s worth – so price doesn’t become an inhibitor.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My husband and I chose this hotel because of some of the good reviews, however, to say this is just a budget hotel can't be more mildly stated. There was no staff to greet us or help with luggage when we arrived at hotel and the room although adequate for the purpose needed some serious updating considering this is a fairly new hotel. The breakfast was nothing special if you are not too bothered with stale rolls! It was an experience but we certainly would not be choosing this hotel again considering for a little more ringgit you could have a much better time at the Grand Margherita which we stayed before our move to the Lime Tree.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christina052
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2010
Dear Christina052,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel during your recent trip to Kuching. Your feedback is important to us and I will ensure that all the points raised will be addressed accordingly. As a boutique hotel, we remain committed to exceed our guests' expectations with our services and to provide quality accomodation at great value.

Our front office personnel and hotel chauffer are tasked to readily assist all guests with their luggage and unfortunately your incident may have occurred when they were busy assisting other guests during that same check-in time. Please accept our sincere apologies and we will better our staff availability and quality of service.

It is great for everyone to start the day by enjoying a healthy, delicious breakfast, and our team aims to ensure that for all our guests! One may wish to know, if not through our hotel website, that our complimentary breakfast usually consists of a rotated spread of international and local delights, such as hot dishes of rice, noodles, meat dishes, sausages, baked beans, potatoes, eggs and our signature Sarawak Laksa dish. Other items include fresh fruits (sometimes exotic fruits from the owner's plantation depending on the fruiting season), juices, local kuih (cakes), sandwiches, sliced bread and bread rolls - with a toaster and pastry oven available for use. With this, we were very concerned to read about your experience with our breakfast, but we will nevertheless continue to improve our breakfast as best as we can.

We are sorry to learn that the room you had was not satisfactory and we appreciate that you have brought this matter to our attention. The quality of our rooms is always our top priority to ensure guest comfort, and so our maintenance team performs scheduled room checks to ensure the orderliness of each room and to remedy any inevitable wear promptly. I would like to invite you to contact me at julietay@limetreehotel.com.my with more details of the room you stayed in as I would very much like to investigate this matter in order for us to further improve our facilities.

Thank you again for your review which is much appreciated, and it is through feedback like yours that we can monitor our standards of service. Please contact me if you decide to stay with us again so I can further ensure that your stay is positive one.

Kind regards,

Julie Tay - Resident Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2010

An excellent hotel. Good location with only a short walk to centre of Kuching. Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel clean, good facilities and room perfectly adequate for the reasonable price. I would recommend this as a good place to stay and struggle to understand some of the less complimentary reviews.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear LucyT39,

Thank you for having chosen The LimeTree Hotel for your stay in Kuching recently. Your kind and gracious review is much appreciated and it has made our team very proud of the service we provide.

We thank you for your commendation of us to others and hope to see you again. Many best wishes from all of us at The LimeTree Hotel!

Warm regards,