“Clean and comfortable, a very pleasant stay!”
Review of The LimeTree Hotel

The LimeTree Hotel
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed at LimeTree for three nights this August. The overall quality is quite good. The room is clean and comfortable. The staff are very nice and welcoming. The only down side is the room is a bit small. But considering the low price, it is still very worthy. My room's windows are towards the back alley, so it's not noisy at all. I came up to the rooftop lounge to have my free drink in one evening, it was very relaxing looking down the streets and over the river in the afternoon. The breakfast is also very nice. The location is also very nice, very near to all three Cats Statues.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank wangtwdavid
There are newer reviews for The LimeTree Hotel

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in the family suite which was adequate for our needs. The second bedroom was rather small but you get what you pay for. The breakfast was sufficient. The rooms are a little tired looking and the whole place could do with an upgrade. Great size bathtub!! You can hear the noise of cars and traffic at night. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

i liked the hotel,but when i first walked into the room,it looked kind of boring. There is a good T.V.and the bed was nice.The room needs to be painted. The bathroom had some mold in the shower.. The room was very comfortable.It was convient to the river,where I walked to very often. I wanted a tour to the orangatang park,and couldn"t find one anywhere.A taxi would have cost a fortune.I finally found a tour place by the river.that had an inexpensive tour for that day.I gave the hotel the name of the tour company. . I went on the Bako National Park Tour.. It was great,but the trail is difficult.Make sure you have good gripping shoes on.Some good bug spray.too.The hotel has a great patio on the 5th floor that I ate at every night.The view was beautiful. There was a good breakfast also. I really enjoyed my stay in Kuching.

Room Tip: My room was good,and plenty of room for 1 person.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We felt this hotel offered such good value. The rooms, although a little small, were very clean and fresh. Breakfast was a little limited in choice but there was plenty of food and it was well prepared. The hotel is a walk away from the main area of Kuching and the esplanade, however if you want to pay three times the price to avoid a 5 minute walk, the choice is yours. The walk to the esplanade was pleasant and it gave a good indication of local eateries and bars. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others. The roof bar gave spectacular views of the city. The staff were very friendly and had a very good local knowledge.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed fine. We were in a basic room which was perfectly fine
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raffles2012
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights and the time just went so quickly. The room was a bit small but very clean. I liked the rain shower which made bathing so easy. Space in the bathroom/toilet was cleverly maximised. The glass wall of the shower room juts out a bit in such a way bath water does not wet the floor where the toilet is located because the shower curtain extends to the extra glass partition. You must see the shower room in order to understand what I'm trying to explain here. It is a very well-designed shower room.

I must also praise the ingenious design of the "clothes-cupboard". This is the first time I had seen such a design for a clothes-cupboard. You hang your clothes against the wall. The front of the so-called cupboard is covered with a mirror. There is no door because the left and right sides are exposed but because of the mirrored piece your clothes are not exposed and do not make the room unsightly. You hang and retrieve your clothes on the right or left side of the "cupboard".

The hotel is located within walking distance of the waterfront and quite a number of good eateries and restaurants. I was walking back alone from the waterfront one night and had no idea of the direction so I asked a local man. Surprisingly he knew where it was. It was a good thing that I could see the name of the hotel in bright green after turning a corner or two. It was a good idea to use lime colour to let it stand out from other hotels and buildings though it is not a tall building being just 5 floors high.

The pricing of the rooms was really that of a four-star hotel's but they compensated with their excellent service and great breakfast. We were very well taken care of for the duration of our stay. Serinah,the front-desk manager even lent us two umbrellas in case of rain as we had wanted to explore the city on foot. Mr Saw the manager saw to it that we were happy with everything. It was unfortunate that during our stay the resident manager,Miss Julie Tay was away in Peninsula Malaysia so we did not have the opportunity of meeting her. We did, however,had a long and animated conversation with the owner.

I particularly enjoyed the buffet breakfast of all aspects of my stay at Lime Tree. Though the spread was not wide it was as good as that of a four-star hotel's. They put a lot of effort into ensuring that the food was of a good quality. The presentation of food was neat and most pleasant to the eye. They prepared the food in batches so it was always fresh. I dare say the Sarawak laksa was one of the best I had eaten and I ate a lot of Sarawak laksa while in Kuching because I like it much better than laksa in Peninsula Malaysia. They were generous with their self-grown limes which they sold very cheaply at RM5 for a kg and they were huge. Those smaller ones could be had for free. Just take some from the reception counter. I should have bought a kg back because those I saw later at some KL supermarkets were smaller than those given away free by the hotel to its guests and go for much more than RM5. I also like the banana fritters a lot as they were freshly-fried and crispy. The agar-agar desert was cutely presented in various shapes and I liked that too.

The black and white peppercorn sold at the hotel's lobby was cheaper than those I bought outside. I should have bought the ready-made mix for Sarawak laksa at the lobby which could have been cheaper than the one I bought at the airport. I did not like the taste of the lime marmalade so I did not buy any. They served it for breakfast too.

Overall,this is a very well-run and highly cost-conscious hotel. I guess the owners subscribe to the "waste not,want not" adage which is all very good in order to get the most profit out of the enterprise. Hopefully,the hotel gives some back to its guests by offering more competitive room pricing. If I travel to Kuching on business or holiday I would stay at this hotel again because I enjoyed the breakfast and Sarawak laksa so very much.

Room Tip: I had a room that faced the front of the hotel. Not much of a view but traffic did not disturb our s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We really appreciated the use of space. The room sizes are efficient. There are no carpets which is wonderful for cleanliness and there is no unpleasant smell. The breakfast buffet options are changed daily, which is nice for people staying a few days. The location is convenient. The staff are friendly. We were picked up at the airport at 11pm with no delay.
The only thing I would consider improving from an environmental aspect is the shower head. It's best to have smaller heads that direct water at a person rather than a huge one that spreads water over a large unfocused area.
Overall it is a good choice. We were very happy with our stay. Thank you :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This hotel offers excellent value and a great location - walking distance to waterfront and shopping. The staff are all very courteous and helpful. The Front Office manager Serinah
was outstanding - always patient, courteous and helpful (going beyond the call of duty to
accommodate my last minutes needs). I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Maybe upgrading to 'deluxe' instead of the standard room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business