“Nice to stay and cheap”

Tune Hotel Waterfront Kuching, Sarawak
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The location is just superb, just opposite Hlton Hotel and down the road is the start of the Waterfornt. At the back is Dawn cafe where alot of cheap local food is served. Near the major shopping centers and the "Cat Stature" . At night there is sea-food haven located on top of a carpark called "Top Spot". try the sunset cruise at the waterfront from 5.30pm(only once a day). most of the museums and tourist interest spots are accessible on foot. As this is a budget hotel expect to pay for aircon, the rooms are compact but the bed and toilets are clean. there is free internet access at the lobby, which also has a tour agency(usefull to book tours outside the city area) and cafeteria.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tune Hotel Waterfront Kuching, Sarawak

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Actual we book for 2 nights, but due to the room is dirty & everything has to pay, we move out to other hotel. I can say, the person incharge should go round & have a look the condintion of the room/corridor. It getting run down. Not well maintance. In fact the room is easy to clean & maintance. Hotel provide transport from airport to hotel,but run by 3rd party (agent), you have to pay for 2 pax,if you alone. Funny..T&C.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovetvl501
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Tune Hotel in Kuching, a part of the Tune Chain Hotels in Malaysia is relatively cheap, but if you are lucky and have booked during their "low rates" drive, you've found accomodation which is value for money. Its very basic and room may not be cleaned daily. And watch out for extras which can add to the hotel rate. But its very centrally located and just a few minutes walk from the waterfront as well as the shopping street to the left and back.. Actually you can walk anywhere from here. ...Kuching being so small. No need to eat at the hotel cafetaria as there are good eating stalls right behind. Avoid the tours offered by the Hotel and take a taxi instead. from the Hilton which is right across the road. And do not miss eating at the Sea Food stalls above the car park...Walking distance again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors...the view is fantastic
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2011

"Stayed here during Rainforest Music Festival 2011 but never expect to hear the thumping music delivered right at my window..."

Check-in
I arrived quite late in the afternoon at around 7pm and was welcomed by a courteous female staff. I got a room on the ground floor with very close proximity to the lobby. I had a problem with the key card igniting the power to the room, so I had to summon the guard to activate the key system.

Room location
As i opened up the curtain, I learned that my room share the same corridor as their backside cafe and generally back access of the whole shophouses at Taman Seri Sarawak. At first I'm really concerned about the security (anyone can enter easily via the window). Upon enquiring to the reception to switch room at higher floor; the check-in staff informed me that it's the last single room available. Lucky for me, nothing was happened during my stay.

Room
Tiny is probably the best word to describe how small the room is. The bathroom and the bed area share approximately the same size; this would result in slightly roomier bathroom (compared to major hotels in HK) but claustrophobic room space. The single bed is equipped with: a single bed with bedsheet, 1 pillow, and a comforter/quilt; bedside table with safe deposit box (not working as it was never reset from previous guest); a writing table; a wall fan directed right at the bed; 3 piece of clothes hangers hanging on a piece of rod; and other amenities at extra charge: aircon unit and 32-inch flat LCD TV.

Bathroom
Bathroom size is slightly roomier and has standing shower; a toilet, and a wash basin. If you opt to rent a towel; a toiletries pack will be given as a bonus (consists of a sachet each of shower gel and shampoo and a soap bar). The shower has the pressure - but not as high as I would thought.

Noise and more disturbance
Since Tune Hotels.com advertise itself for 5-star sleeping experience; I would have to give this claim a big miss. I discovered my bedsheet was stained on several spots (see pictures) and I'm bothered to discover this on a hotel that promise the guest of great sleeping experience. Another problem is this hotel has paper-thin walls! Being surrounded by few bars and clubs; the area are always buzzing at night; so why bother to have paper-thin walls when deciding to acquire the building? At least put up some soundproofing on the walls. Another equally disturbing noises come from inside the hotel itself; namely the piping system and the lobby. One can hear clearly what activities are going on in the lobby and hear the water passing through the pipes. This bothered me a lot -despite I'm not a light sleeper as this thing go around the clock...

Housekeeping
Despite being informed that cleaning service won't be available unless requested; my bed was made and a bottle of water was given for the 2nd night only (none was given on the 1st night though).

Suggestion
For a budget traveller; the hotel should at least provide a kettle and drinking glasses or maybe have a drinking water fountain set up on the lobby for guest to get free water (or to refill the bottled water that they get).

Verdict
Like previous reviewers said; you have to really factor in all additional charges before deciding to pay for a room at Tune Hotels; sometimes for a traveller who wants all the supposedly-free convenience like TV, aircon, and supply of bathroom amenities to name a few; he/she will end up paying more than regular hotel rates which can provide those for free.
Despite the central location; I'm not amused at all with all the noise that distract me from getting a 5-star sleeping experience like what the hotel promotes itself after.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing Jalan Borneo which is facing the main street
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank cirque
Reviewed June 23, 2011

What I like about this place is a location and coffee shops just behind the hotel for breakfast and lunch.

The airport transfer at MYR 9.99 is only for min 2 persons, hence if you are alone, it is MYR 20.

I arrived late afternoon, there will no airport transfer fro the airport to Tune hotel, hence , I took a taxi at MYR 26 to Tune Hotel.

While Tune Hotel is a budget hotel with a 3 star feel, if i have to stay a few stays more, I will opt for some new 4 stars hotels having promotion offering the same price.

Tune hotel charged me 30 MYR for changing dates, and I am still not used to paying for my aircon, towel, and TV/toiletries , and having to bring towel and remote control back to counter during check out to get back my deposit.

When I added all these up, it is more expensive than a 4 stars full service hotel like LimeTree or 360 hotel !

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Waterfront Kuching, Sarawak, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2011

Hi jchan09,

Firstly, thank you for choosing us.

We don't claim to be the cheapest, but we provide options for guests to tailor their stay to suit their budget. Where a regular hotel gives you the complete stay package; perhaps for a similar price, they do not offer their services on a modular basis unlike we do. Thus, you would not have the option of a cheaper stay.

Deposits are collected and refunded, Since these items are "rented” we are merely ensuring that they are returned during check out.

I would say that our concept may not be for everyone; however it is perfect for people who just want a good price on a user pays basis.

Thank you for tuning in.

Warm Regards,
Sharon - Customer Care

Reviewed June 7, 2011

It's cheap and convenient in location but I have bad experience during my stay.

When first go in the room, the keycard cannot work and no power. Need to get the staff to reset the time. After that, the safe box in the room is not functioning well. Get them to change the safe box for twice, as the second box also not functioning well.

The worst experience comes, my bath towel disappear on second day after the housekeeping. They should not change the hotel towel, so I am wondering how my towel can go missing. When I approach the front desk, they're not really helpful. Just tell me that they did not take it. That's all!!! I am thinking if I use the hotel towel (with charge), then disappear, I am not able to get back the deposits.

On the last day of my stay, I would like to extend the check out time to 1pm, but I am told that we only can extend during booking. There is no flexibility at all. They not even check if there is room availability.

I won't stay there anymore, even it's cheap. I prefer to pay a bit more to stay in other better hotel, rather than having bad experience during leisure trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leekk8
Reviewed May 12, 2011

If you have low expectations of this hotel, then your stay should be fine. I stayed here as transit so it was alright. Not a hotel to 'relax' in as there is no swimming pool or even a kettle; and the rooms are super tiny like all other Tune outfits. Fairly clean but not the cleanest. Big plus was the location (near the waterfront).

I did not like the cigarette smell when I first walked into the room, but they were soon gone when I opened the window. Yes my room actually had a window, but it opened to a balcony corridor - shared among other Tune rooms on the same floor, facing back of the hotel. Altho the corridor was closed off to the general public, I felt uneasy leaving the window opened at times.

Room Tip: Don't pay too much for a TUNE room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank bondeo
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Waterfront Kuching, Sarawak, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Hi There,

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your recent visit to our hotel.

Our beds are 5 star, and it's very comfortable for a good night sleep. And if your are familiar with our concept; we only provide the basics, bed and shower.

We do not provide items such as wardrobe, mini bar, coffee and tea making facilities, extra pillows, extra beds, room service, etc. Air-conditioning, Television, and Wi-Fi are chargeable add-ons and towels are on rental basis only. This typically allows our customers to assemble their stay requirements to suit their budget. As for the sizes of our rooms, our rooms are typically space efficient.

You need not worry about security, we have 24 hours of security and besides high standard of cleanliness, we are always centrally located. We nonetheless, do not provide restaurants, bars, banqueting facilities or gyms, which allows costs to be tightly controlled where the benefits of this efficiency is passed on to customers; providing excellent value for money and low prices

Located centrally, it's priceless if you take opportunity of the surroundings. There are a number of sights to be enjoyed from the Waterfront. At the various jetties along the path, you can witness the unique sampans (wooden boats, also known as tambangs) crossing the width of the river to the other side.

There are plenty of eating places, most of them are opened only at night, the Sarawak Steamship shopping bazaar selling mostly handicrafts (those tikar Sarawak are really to die for)

I hope you find your next visit here, an interesting one.

Thank you for the review and we hope to have the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Warm Regards,