“Happy hotel guest”

Century Kuching Hotel
Ranked #47 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I recently went to KCH and stayed at Four Points by Sheraton. The experience for my family and I there was awesome.

Though the location is not in the city centre, there are many shops & restaurants (BDC) just opposite the hotel.

I have an upgrade because of SPG Platinum. The room was spacious in SPG floor.

The breakfast buffet was good and I learnt that they just won an award. Congratulations.

The internet connection was slow and it kept breaking but it was not the hotel's fault because I heard that internet connection in KCH was generally very slow.

The pool is of descent size and the kids really enjoyed swimming there.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to my associates and friends when they visit KCH again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ultrakenzo
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2011

Hi ultrakenzo,

Thanks for your "happy hotel guest" review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

I am also happy that we were able to meet your expectations as our valued Starwood Preferred Platinum level Guest.

While the team works very hard to get the basics right, it is certainly nice to hear from our guests when we have delivered.

Good to see that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Thanks as well for congratulating us on the recent awards we have garnered during the Hospitality Asia Platinum Awards (HAPA) Regional Series 2011-2013. Where the Four Points by Sheraton Kuching was named Best 5 in Asia Signature Deluxe Hotels and The Eatery restaurant- Best 10 in Asia Most Chic All-Day Dining Restaurants.

I have noted your feedback on the internet and we are working closely with our provider to further increase our bandwidth which should hopefully rectify the internet speed.

Thanks again for the great feedback and let us know when you plan your next trip so we can continue to look after you.

Paolo Campillo

Reviewed November 22, 2011

...just as good, though it is slightly older. I have stayed at Pullman, Hilton and Limetree so here are my thoughts:

The Good
- Check-in and check-out were easy and hassle-free. The staff were friendly and eager to help. I even managed to have a late check-out at 3pm because my flight was delayed.

- Good-sized bedroom and bathroom. Very clean with not a hint of cigarette smoke. The bathroom was slightly smaller than the one at Pullman but I don't need a big one anyway. Came with rain shower or the normal shower head option. One bathtub if you need to indulge.

- Floor to ceiling windows providing beautiful views of the distant mountains and planes landing and taking off at the airport. But there no no noise issue because the planes do not fly over the hotel.

- Complimentary baby cot (clean too!) which is a must for a young family
like us. Plenty of space at the ground floor lobby for the toddler to run and explore.

- Excellent bed. Just as comfy as the one at Pullman but slightly firmer with more support. It's Sealy Posturepedic which I am so gonna get when I throw my old one out.

- The room was cool enough that we slept without switching on the air-con on most nights. We were pleasantly surprised.

- Plenty of open-air eateries and coffee shops across the small road serving local delights like laksa, nasi lemak, char kway tiao, chicken rice, Indian cuisine, seafood and of course, our favourite kolo mee. A couple of grocery shops provided mineral water and other daily needs. Please note that most of the eateries open at night till late but there are enough options in the daytime. All the retail shops cater to the locals so no touristy stuff here. This was sorely missed at the Pullman.

- It's away from the main tourist attractions near the Riverfront but for someone like me visiting friends and relatives, it's actually more convenient. Besides, there is a free shuttle bus to The Spring Shopping Mall and the Riverside at 11am with the return trip at 4pm if you need to do the usual touristy routine.

- It's so near the airport that I did not need to worry about missing a flight. I still can't believe that there is hardly any noise from the planes landing or taking off.

The Bad
- No complimentary wi-fi in the room, just like the Pullman. Gosh, I still can't understand why that is so when the small budget hotel across the road and Limetree can dish out FREE wi-fi and these international brands can't. Only good for people with lap-tops as they only offer Ethernet cables in the rooms. You will be better off buying a pre-paid broadband card from one of the shops. There is free wi-fi in the hotel lobby which is still an inconvenience to me...grrr...

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at Four Points. Given the choice again, I would pick Four Points over Pullman as I prefer the convenience of eateries opposite the hotel, proximity to the airport and the slightly lower price.

Room Tip: There are two options - face the airport and distant mountains or the shops and city view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RolexBoy
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Hi Rolexboy,

Thanks for your review of the Four Points by Sheraton Kuching! I was delighted to read comments and that overall you had a great stay and that we remain your hotel of choice in Kuching.

I have read your comments with regard to internet and while we do offer Free Wireless Internet in the public areas of the hotel, we also offer two terminals at Wrapped Deli for our guests to use free or charge. We have chosen to offer Free Internet access in room to our most loyal Starwood Preferred Guest-Platinum Members, which I trust with your continued patronage of our hotels, you will soon be able to enjoy Free Internet Access throughout some of our 1000 hotels worldwide.

Please let me know when you plan your next trip to Kuching so that we can continue to look after you.

Paolo Campillo

Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed for a week in the hotel. I checked in very late, just after 12 midnight. The staff was helpful. I asked how much I needed to top up for the upgrade. After speaking to the manager, I got a free upgrade to the suite. I was over the moon. It was just a perfect start to my 3 weeks holiday.

The suite was great. I like the llight wooden floorboard, the bed was really comfy, the pillows are great. The only downside is no free wi-fi from the room. It was troublesome to use the free wi-fi at the lobby.

The housekeeping staff was OK. The room was clean but still, I can still see hairs here and there. And the floorboard was not mopped everyday as my feet became black after walking on it.

The hotel staffs are friendly and polite and helpful.

I will certainly stay in this hotel again. I hope this hotel will be maintained and kept well.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sydneysidee
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

Hi Sydneysidee,

Thanks for your "Nice and New Hotel in Kuching" review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching. I am happy to read that you overall enjoyed your stay. The team works hard to get the basics right and it is good see on the whole we have delivered.

I have noted your feedback on housekeeping and have shared this with the team. I thank you for your comments because it is only through this that we can continue to improve the service we provide our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next trip to Kuching.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

We booked Sheraton Four Points in Kuching due to its good location and brand name. As frequent travellers we knew Sheraton usually delivers quite good quality.
Beginning: price for the room was quite competitive. We like it that way.
Arrival: As expected. Staff didn't smile too much but did their job.
Room: Decoration was just ok. nothing fancy and nothing bad. bathroom: leaking toilet was the first sign staff do not really care about room quality. Second sign were unexpected guests. Well, ants is not what you expect to see in bed. especially after you rest few hours in it... One of us got some ants bites on the back.
Immediate call to front desk and we know - this is not the first time - staff was not surprised at all, they offered change of rooms without asking for details. Interesting thing though, when we asked the person that arrived to help us in room change if it happened before, he delivered 3 different stories in one minute :) yes, we had few accidents, it happens quite often, it happens rarely :) Obviously they do the best they can to prevent it and so on. Well, really you do? How about closing rooms you know are infected by quite big colony of ants.....
We got new room on 11th floor, it was club floor but room looked exactly the same as the one on the 6th. Luckily no ants.
Other services: we didn't try food at the restaurant so can't comment on it. stories heard from other people - food is ok.
WiFi - paid service at the room and free downstairs. We needed connection in the room. it was slow and broke many times. I am sure they can do better here as well.
Checkout: Terrible from the start. 4 people at the counter. The only free person didnt check us out. He asked another guy to do it. No luck here, that guy was also only a messenger so we got referred to another person. Still no luck, she was too busy listening to complaints of another guest who was asking nicely her colleague why hotel didnt deliver the service he paid for - working wifi in the room. So we finally got served but with 60% attention. other 40% was still focus on the other guest, rolling over eyes like if demanding of good service in this hotel is not what they are used too. We got her attention only once, she looked at us when we handed over comments card. This must also be not a norm in this hotel as we got the 'rolled over' eyes look. But hey, finally some attention from the staff.... I just wonder, will manager ever see that comment card? I doubt it.

To summarise: Mr Manager. How about - close infected rooms, ask staff to care about your guests and deliver consistent explanation when needed. At the end - I do not care if they call me a stupid jerk when I leave the counter. But when I am there I expect to be served with respect. It's quite easy, isn't it?

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jakub D
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2011

Hi Jakub_KL,

Thanks for your recent review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching.

While it is nice to note that you like the location of the hotel. Your comments clearly show some areas for us to improve. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. While the team and I work hard to exceed our guests expectations, on occasion we do suffer setbacks.

We do however, take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do again, apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay.

As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

This is my third stay in four points sheraton kuching... I came by this hotel in 2010 for business trip and I was very pleased with the standards at such a reasonable room rate. Thereafter I revisited in jan & oct 2011 for personal R&R trip...

The rooms are clean, stylish, fresh carrying the standards of sheraton brand. The thing I like most is the swimming pool, large in size and clean. The bistro cafe also serves very gd pastries & ice-cream. This hotel is definately a thumbs up. Not forgetting to mention there are also a wide choice of local food opposite the hotel which let u have a taste of local kuching food.

However the location of the hotel is abit off city, you will need to tap on the free hotel shuttle to town which is about 15 mins away or take a cab which cost about RM 20 to 25.

But this does not stop me chosing to stay at four points sheraton kuching... I target to revisit in the next few months.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank brenda21

Hi Brenda21,

Thanks for your excellent review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching.

I am pleased that the Four Points team have been able to consistently exceed your expectations since you first visited in 2010.

The team works hard to get things the basics right and it great to be recognized when we have delivered.

Please let me know when you next plan to visit Four Points, so that we can continue to look after you.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and two daughters for one weekend. We chose the hotel for the competitive price. The service was very good but it's apparent that the hotel is no longer in a pristine condition. The bathtub in our room was broken and there was a broken tile in the bathroom. The beds are of decent quality but the room deco didn't make it very inviting to rest in the room. The hotel just seemed devoid of character. We didn't find anything memorable or remarkable. This despite the fact that this hotel is a four-star hotel. I don't think I'll make a return trip unless there are good offers for their suites. I heard the premium suites are pretty good. And one gripe is that it doesn't offer free wifi access in the rooms. Wifi in public areas are free but we didn't get to test it out.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pennylaw
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2011

Hi Pennylaw,

Thanks for your recent review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching! I was pleased to read that the service delivered exceeded your expectations. The Four Points prides itself on delivering service from the heart and it looks like we have delivered on this occasion.

I have also noted your feedback on in terms of the style and design of the rooms. The Four Points brand is one of the select service brands of Starwood and we focus on delivering the basics with modern stylish rooms at great value. In addition, the I am sorry that the room condition did not live up to your expectations. I have passed on your concerns to our team members so that this can be fixed as soon as possible.

I have also noted your comments with regard to Wifi and while this is not offered in room we do have free Wifi in the public areas of the hotel. We do also have room packages which are WIfi inclusive.

Should your travels take you back to Kuching, please do not hesitate to contact me so that we can look after you.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stay for 1 day and I love the room.the bed is very comfortable, room layout is very nice.this might be one of the best hotel I ever stay. Breakfast choice it's superb.for sure will be here again in future trip to kuching

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
FourPointsKuching, General Manager at Century Kuching Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Hi kazama82,

Thanks for your recent review of Four Points by Sheraton Kuching.

I was pleased to read that the breakfast buffet at The Eatery exceeded your expectations. Our selection has been aligned with all Four Points in Asia Pacific to ensure we give our guests a sufficient selection that caters to various tastes. I was also happy to read that you enjoyed our award winning Four Points Comfort Bed. I have noted that you commented on our rates, at Four Points we pride ourselves on offering Great Rooms at Great Low Rates. I urge you to shop around and compare us with the other branded hotels in Kuching and you will find we offer the great value.

Hope to see you back in the hotel soon.