“OK, as long as you don`t mind cockroaches”

Kuching Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #19 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed August 8, 2009

Location is the top, stuff is unbelieveably nice, unfortunately the rest is not so great. Rooms have no windows, so if you are a bit of a clastrofobic you wouldn`t have survived. And the most unacceptable thing for me are cockroaches who welcome you at the time you enter the room. So, if you are on a low budget, you don`t need a nice view from your room and you don`t mind roaches, the waterfront lodge is a nice choice. I must say the stuff just couldn`t be frendlier. The breakfast is also very nice.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I read about this place online. I saw the images (rooms, environment) and rates, and I was immediately hooked. Best to say, what you see is what you get.

The front desk service was great. Excellent in providing information especially to foreigners. They tried really hard to explain and assist you regarding anything. Just ask anything to the staffs, they'll help you with their best effort!

The rooms were nice, cozy and comfort. With unique and crafty interior, I find the room very much to my liking. The toilet and shower were clean. Both hot and cold water were provided. The room equip with cable TV and air condition. I got a four-posted bed which I found very interesting because of its engraving.

Almost everything you found in the lodge will be interesting. They are really smart in decorating the lodge with local products especially the furniture.

The staffs were really friendly. The level of security was quite high. The door closes at 11pm. The location was strategic. It is in the heart of attraction, Waterfront and stands along side of the whole main bazaar. It will be easy for visitor to do souvenir shopping because the shops are just next door.

If you need to see the photos, I suggest you google the name and view its official website. Like what I've mentioned earlier, what you see is what you get. It is one of the Best Hostel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2009

we actually had a room booked at another place when we walked by this place and stopped to see if they had room. they said yes so we cancelled our other one. this one is right in the center of things across the street from the river. the staff was extremely friendly and helpful and they held our bags when we went to dako for the night. good AC, great shower, internet inside. good common space but we never saw another traveller, it seemed completely empty.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We were on our way to Damai Beach Resort for a week but due to flight schedules and fixed time share check in times, it meant we had to grab overnight accommodation before going out to the resort. I booked with the lodge over the internet and found their responses prompt and helpful. It is reasonably priced considering it's location in a major city and right across from the waterfront.

We were due to meet my elderly mother at the lodge but our flight got cancelled and we could not get there until the next day. Worried about her, I rang the lodge and they confirmed she arrived and would look after her. In the evening one staff member accompanied her along the riverfront walk to a cafe where mum ate some sandwiches and had a cuppa. What great caring service, that was very much appreciated.

With regard to the rooms you get what you pay for. They are very basic no frills but nice and clean. The bathroom is a typical Asian 'wet bathroom' which means the toilet get wets when you have a shower. The rooms are airconditioned. The lodge is older in style and does not have any frills or facilities that you would get in a hotel. Having said that, its location in the heart of the riverfront area is terrific with two ritzy hotels just down the road (to give you some idea). The staff are very friendly and will give you any advice or help that they can. There is not a lot to see or do in Kuching, and not a lot of shopping, so if you were staying for a week in the city, I would recommend one of the resorts at Damai or the hotels down the road as they have a pool. Remember this is SE Asia and it can get pretty hot and muggy. There are local eateries everywhere. Kuching is a very safe and clean city and you are also pretty safe eating from any of the restaurants (just check out which ones the locals are frequenting). It's foodie's paradise if you like Asian food. The lodge is definitely recommended for short stays.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stayed here over the Christmas & New Year holiday. Was first given a room which has windows that faces the internal corridor so there was little privacy. If you have smokers chatting at the staircase landing, it would be an absolute let-down but we were fortunate it didn't happen to us. One funny thing about this room is that the toilet wall is only 3/4 high so you tend to get quite a bit of moisture and smell from the toilet, especially when your partner is taking a shower. It wasn't life-threatening but it would be better to have a fully-enclosed toilet. You can see it as posted in a pic by another traveller http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g298309-d1203447-w2-Kuching_Waterfront_Lodge-Kuching_Sarawak.html#19098183 (behind the TV stand is the 3/4 height wall)

After one night we were given another room right at the back of the shophouse with a window that opened out to the backyard / carpark. It was lovely and quiet since it could park only 3 cars. Of course, the view was nothing fantastic but the serenity more than made up for it. This time round, the toilet was fully enclosed with its own window. There is also no window that faces the corridor either, so hooray for privacy.

The customer service is excellent. The staff were very attentive and approachable. They never try to hard-sell travel packages nor inconvenience us in anyway. Sure beats the front counter staff at the nearby Hilton.

Internet is available for a fee and breakfast is ok. Location is good too with amenities all within walking distance but note that nearby food places shut before 6pm so getting local food is a headache unless you have a car. KFC and fastfood is available as a last resort in the nearby Parkson shopping mall. The famed riverfront is just right opposite and despite rumors of theft or robbery, we never encounter anyone dangerous but it pays to be vigilant about your personal safety wherever you are.

One last thing: I hope budget hotels in kuching would provide mosquito nets and a fan as an option for guests given that most of the windows can be opened, unlike the high-end hotels. Some of us just can't take the dry air-con blast which aggravates our sinus problems. Hey, we could save you money in air-con bills as well. Besides, nets and fans are pretty cheap and easy to set up.

Well, as my title suggests, this place is an absolute gem only if you choose your room correctly. Have a nice trip...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RolexBoy
Reviewed February 20, 2009

The staff were extremely friendly and always keen to help. The rooms were basic but spotlessly clean and very reasonably priced.
I would definitely go back to the waterfront lodge.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaroleHel
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I agree with the previous review - I had a double room (MYR 115 per night) and it was SMALL for Malaysian standards. My room also smelt very musty and mouldy. Although sheets were clean, I had no desire to sleep in the disgusting brown woollen blanket so I quickly whipped it off and got out my much cleaner, lovely smelling sleeping bag. There were also lots of stains on the carpet. However I've no complaints about the bathroom.

Although staff were friendly, when I checked in the reception staff hassled me not once but twice about when I wanted to go to visit the Sarawak Cultural Village because the driver of the van was in the room (and obviously looking for passengers!). The second time I was asked the question looked him sternly in the face and said I DON'T KNOW!

I had high hopes for this place as I had read good reviews about this place, that's why I chose to stay here, but unfortunately I checked out after one night because the room was NOT comfortable, dark dingy and smelly. If you're going to be in Kuching in February, I highly recommend Singgahsana Lodge or better still pay that little bit extra $165 MYR per night for a fantastic double (King bed) at the Somerset Gateway (great breakfast, outstanding front desk service, fantastic views from your balcony, never tried the swimming pool but I'm sure it's good, great breakfast, and newspaper in the morning). After my disappointing first night at the Kuching Waterfront Lodge, I visited the Somerset and was impressed, said to them that I will be booking with one of the accommodation websites (eg wotif, hotelclub, asiarooms, etc) but they offered me a special February rate of only $165 MYR. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. PS. I stayed on the 12th floor with river view.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo