“Cheap basic accommodation”

Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Kuching
Atlanta, Georgia
“Cheap basic accommodation”
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We were on our way to Damai Beach Resort for a week but due to flight schedules and fixed time share check in times, it meant we had to grab overnight accommodation before going out to the resort. I booked with the lodge over the internet and found their responses prompt and helpful. It is reasonably priced considering it's location in a major city and right across from the waterfront.

We were due to meet my elderly mother at the lodge but our flight got cancelled and we could not get there until the next day. Worried about her, I rang the lodge and they confirmed she arrived and would look after her. In the evening one staff member accompanied her along the riverfront walk to a cafe where mum ate some sandwiches and had a cuppa. What great caring service, that was very much appreciated.

With regard to the rooms you get what you pay for. They are very basic no frills but nice and clean. The bathroom is a typical Asian 'wet bathroom' which means the toilet get wets when you have a shower. The rooms are airconditioned. The lodge is older in style and does not have any frills or facilities that you would get in a hotel. Having said that, its location in the heart of the riverfront area is terrific with two ritzy hotels just down the road (to give you some idea). The staff are very friendly and will give you any advice or help that they can. There is not a lot to see or do in Kuching, and not a lot of shopping, so if you were staying for a week in the city, I would recommend one of the resorts at Damai or the hotels down the road as they have a pool. Remember this is SE Asia and it can get pretty hot and muggy. There are local eateries everywhere. Kuching is a very safe and clean city and you are also pretty safe eating from any of the restaurants (just check out which ones the locals are frequenting). It's foodie's paradise if you like Asian food. The lodge is definitely recommended for short stays.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Stayed here over the Christmas & New Year holiday. Was first given a room which has windows that faces the internal corridor so there was little privacy. If you have smokers chatting at the staircase landing, it would be an absolute let-down but we were fortunate it didn't happen to us. One funny thing about this room is that the toilet wall is only 3/4 high so you tend to get quite a bit of moisture and smell from the toilet, especially when your partner is taking a shower. It wasn't life-threatening but it would be better to have a fully-enclosed toilet. You can see it as posted in a pic by another traveller http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g298309-d1203447-w2-Kuching_Waterfront_Lodge-Kuching_Sarawak.html#19098183 (behind the TV stand is the 3/4 height wall)

After one night we were given another room right at the back of the shophouse with a window that opened out to the backyard / carpark. It was lovely and quiet since it could park only 3 cars. Of course, the view was nothing fantastic but the serenity more than made up for it. This time round, the toilet was fully enclosed with its own window. There is also no window that faces the corridor either, so hooray for privacy.

The customer service is excellent. The staff were very attentive and approachable. They never try to hard-sell travel packages nor inconvenience us in anyway. Sure beats the front counter staff at the nearby Hilton.

Internet is available for a fee and breakfast is ok. Location is good too with amenities all within walking distance but note that nearby food places shut before 6pm so getting local food is a headache unless you have a car. KFC and fastfood is available as a last resort in the nearby Parkson shopping mall. The famed riverfront is just right opposite and despite rumors of theft or robbery, we never encounter anyone dangerous but it pays to be vigilant about your personal safety wherever you are.

One last thing: I hope budget hotels in kuching would provide mosquito nets and a fan as an option for guests given that most of the windows can be opened, unlike the high-end hotels. Some of us just can't take the dry air-con blast which aggravates our sinus problems. Hey, we could save you money in air-con bills as well. Besides, nets and fans are pretty cheap and easy to set up.

Well, as my title suggests, this place is an absolute gem only if you choose your room correctly. Have a nice trip...

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RolexBoy
Edinburgh
Reviewed February 20, 2009

The staff were extremely friendly and always keen to help. The rooms were basic but spotlessly clean and very reasonably priced.
I would definitely go back to the waterfront lodge.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CaroleHel
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I agree with the previous review - I had a double room (MYR 115 per night) and it was SMALL for Malaysian standards. My room also smelt very musty and mouldy. Although sheets were clean, I had no desire to sleep in the disgusting brown woollen blanket so I quickly whipped it off and got out my much cleaner, lovely smelling sleeping bag. There were also lots of stains on the carpet. However I've no complaints about the bathroom.

Although staff were friendly, when I checked in the reception staff hassled me not once but twice about when I wanted to go to visit the Sarawak Cultural Village because the driver of the van was in the room (and obviously looking for passengers!). The second time I was asked the question looked him sternly in the face and said I DON'T KNOW!

I had high hopes for this place as I had read good reviews about this place, that's why I chose to stay here, but unfortunately I checked out after one night because the room was NOT comfortable, dark dingy and smelly. If you're going to be in Kuching in February, I highly recommend Singgahsana Lodge or better still pay that little bit extra $165 MYR per night for a fantastic double (King bed) at the Somerset Gateway (great breakfast, outstanding front desk service, fantastic views from your balcony, never tried the swimming pool but I'm sure it's good, great breakfast, and newspaper in the morning). After my disappointing first night at the Kuching Waterfront Lodge, I visited the Somerset and was impressed, said to them that I will be booking with one of the accommodation websites (eg wotif, hotelclub, asiarooms, etc) but they offered me a special February rate of only $165 MYR. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. PS. I stayed on the 12th floor with river view.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed February 12, 2009

It is nice lodge. Staffs there are so kind, friendly and helpful.
I booked a single bed room with shower, which is 85RM. The room is small, but TV, A/C are equipped. Also towel and linen are provided.
The wall of shower room is shining, seemingly it was renovated quite recently.
Included breakfast is simple: toasts, fruits, coffee and tea. I think you can use boiled water at any time in kitchen..
The location is more than excellent ! I also like the architecture and the decoration.

Overall, I enjoyed staying here, except the room is very musty.
The room I stayed doesn’t have windows, ventilator. So it is obvious that it is mold ?
As the blanket smells so bad, I couldn’t sleep very well.
I realized that no room had window, actually some did, but those windows face corridor.
So you must shut the windows all the time, otherwise, there is no privacy.

After check-out, I happened to come across a tourist who was staying in Dormitory of Waterfront Lodge.
There is no windows in the dorm, but she said that the dorm didn’t smell of mold.
Do I have a very good sense of smell and she doesn’t ?
Or is it because the dorm doesn’t come with shower ? I am not sure, but the single bed room smelled horrible.

Please remember. This lodge itself doesn’t smell at all. There is fresh air circulated.

• Liked — All staffs, location, good for Semengoh Wildlife Centre
  • Disliked — Disgusting smell
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank mamacita1001
Woodlands
Reviewed November 27, 2008

It is a stone's throw away to tourism board , bus terminals, markets, bazzars and tourist attractions. The staff there are very friendly and approachable. It had been raining continuously during our stay. We really grateful when Manager Louis helped us to load an extremely heavy luggage onto the taxi in the rain. It was definitely a pleasant stay!

• Liked — good service and location
  • Disliked — no lift
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank wrs08
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 16, 2008

The location of this is superb. The waterfront is just across the street. Walking distance to tourist info centre, museum, bazaar, taxi stand and shopping centre. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

What attracted us was the nice interior decoration at the lounge and public areas. The room was very clean and comfortable. The size is okay for the price we paid. There is air cond, tv, hot shower (all the basic amenities).

The breakfast provided was just some toast, coffee and local fruits. Again, can't complain much with the price we paid.

Overall, a nice little hotel in Kuching. We are going to stay in the same hotel again in November.

• Liked — Location, interior decoration, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Breakfast is too basic
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple