“Terrible”

Ranked #12 of 608 Restaurants in Kuching
Cuisines: Italian, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Junk is an eclectic collection of five establishments carefully cultivated within the confines of the heritage buildings of Wayang Street, Kuching. With the proprietors' personal curation of actual antiquities and memorabilia over the years, The Junk houses remnants from days gone by, each with their own eccentric story to tell. Since 2002, the award-winning Junk Restaurant specialises in the fusion of Italian, Western and Asian cuisines. They also offer an impressive list of handmade pizzas, even adding their own twist to conventional toppings. Whether it is an intimate table for two or a party of 12, Junk Restaurant has several dining areas to cater to your needs. Red Room started as an after dinner lounge area. It now serves as a karaoke lounge. In 2006, Junk Bar started as something more akin to a speakeasy. It would be easy to miss this unassuming bar accessible through a hole in the wall from Red Room. Don't let the narrow walkway and rambunctious regulars intimidate you as it is perfect for quieter nights out. Since 2008, Backstage has been one of the most popular night spots in Kuching. On weekends, resident DJs spin through the night. When crowded, it looks like a party in an antique shop. Be prepared to stand as the crowd pours in throughout the night. Choose your poison and dance the night away. If you want something milder, head next door to the newly renovated Living Room. The perfect blend of a lounge and an al-fresco garden, choose to sit by the water fountain or in the actual living room on the first floor overlooking it.
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I ate at junk after seeing some of the good reviews here. How disappointed I was. We were upstairs first but it was absolutely freezing sows requested to sit outside. I ordered the crab salad and it was terrible. It was basically a pile of batter on a few lettuce leaves with some tomatoes. I think I tasted two bits of crab, the rest was just batter. I called the waiter over to say I wasn't happy with my meal and he tried to tell me there were three crabs in it! He said he would talk to the chef but never returned. For 35RM this was disgraceful. Maybe I just chose wrong but I won't be going back.

1  Thank fitz88

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went to junk a couple of times during our visit to kuching and since then I have recommended it to other travellers several times. It is very busy on the weekends, so go early or on a weeknight (Tuesdays closed). Make your way out to the back bar, you can sit or play pool, the bathroom is really cool and interesting, and so is the decor. Lots of locals go there even though it is a little pricey because it's so nice to hang out there!

Other reviews spoke of bad service, if that was happening, they have fixed themselves up in recent times. Both times we had really friendly, attentive waiters and really great food. Salmon is good...I highly recommend and we were served quickly and with a smile... Maybe more staff now?

I have nothing bad to say about this place, a lot of great bars and restaurants in kuching, this is one of the best!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Sometimes the food is not worth it...
3 of us ordered at the same time yet it was well over an hour before the last dish (a pizza!) came to the table, with the other two coming at a time difference too. The most expensive dish on the menu, fish with crab sauce, came covered in grated parmesan- for someone with a lactose intolerance this was unacceptable especially as there was no mention on the menu of any cheese involved. We put it to one side and it was over 45 minutes before a server asked what was wrong with it- and then left it there until the end of the meal, not even attempting to fix it in any way... A very disappointing, expensive meal. Customers around us were either complaining that their stakes were not done as ordered or their food was nowhere to be seen and staff was shouting around- 'Food for table 12!!!' and so on. Chaos!
Very high prices for a very poor service and food ruined by cheese grated over everything and not in the dish description.

1  Thank S_A_Wills09
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very good food LOTS to eat may only need one main between two of you, atmosfear lively with lots of the locals taking advantage of the good food & friendly service, well worth a visit.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Sat at a table for 20 minutes. Half of that time 2 waiters were standing nearby chatting. I waved, smiled - they turned their backs. Finally I left and went to a different restaurant. Later, I came back and spoke to the manager about my experience. It remains unclear to me if this lack of courtesy was the attitude of the particular waitstaff, or the overall attitude of the establishment. So many good restaurants in Kuching, fortunately one need not patronize this one.

1  Thank Candyst