See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I find it useful to compare this to Singhasanna (however it is spelled). The major differences are as follows:

BATHROOMS: I definitely prefer Singsanna's bathrooms because the shower and toilets are separate. Lodge 121 features bathrooms typical of middle-class households in Kuching (i.e. a western toilet and a small water heater/shower where you inevitably get the toilet wet). The hot showers are definitely more satisfying at Singasanna than at Lodge 121. Also, Lodge provides shower shoes, but I think that's really gross since so many people have used the same slippers.

BREAKFAST: At Lodge 121, you serve yourself breakfast of kaya toast with real butter and coffee/tea. but then you have to wash your own dishes--unlike Singasanna. Additionally, you can microwave and refrigerate your own food. Borneo mountain spring water is free.

BED: so my room was clean, but on the bed there was a funny insect whose body looked like a flattened, spade-shaped cockroach. There was also a translucent small bug crawling on the bed. I have to admit that I was so exhausted when I came in, I didn't do anything. I don't think they were bedbugs. At any rate, I always sleep with ear plugs to avoid the prospect of creepy crawlies finding their way into my ears.

SERVICE: is mediocre at best and is quite poor in comparison to Singasana. Laundry isn't done on site and so they couldn't accommodate the stipulations of an express order (stipulations they themselves set). Also, I booked an airport transfer for a specific rate and they sent a taxi. I had to pay the same price as if I got a taxi from town into the airport--not the quoted rate for the aiport transfer and not the rate from the airport to town (since Kuching taxi drivers have conspired to never ever use meters). On top of that, after the driver greeted me at the gate, I had to wait 20 min. in the heat outside the airport for the driver to get the car. Had I gone to the taxi stand in the airport instead, I would have gotten a taxi immediately and would have paid a fairer price.

Singasanna and Lodge 121 are similar, but different. If you are looking for a quiet, 'keep to yourself' kind of place, Lodge 121 is likely up your alley. If you're looking for friendly service and a festive/'ramai' atmosphere and a satisfying shower, Singasanna will be your best bet.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank zhoonoh
Reviewed June 20, 2009

Lodge 121 provide an outstanding level of cleanliness. It is located very close to the centre of Kuching, but the area is nice and quiet. There is an organic cafe over the road and a supermarket just down the street within easy walking distance. They will pick you up from Kuching Airport for a small fee.

The reception staff are very helpful and can arrange very reasonably priced transport to local and regional attractions.

Our visit to Kuching was enhanced by the assistance provided by Henri and his assistants at Lodge 121.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank young4ever
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I've been travelling and stay in many hotels never thoght that there is a LODGE House = Hotel Standard, thsi is LODGE 121. The decor (English Theme) is so warm. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Room very clean and cosy. I feel very very at home during my stay there.
I would like to recommend LODGE 121 to others who are looking for an affordtable LODGE house in Kuching. Thumbs up to Lodge 121!!! I will come back real soon!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Unit6552
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I originally booked 2 nights in Lodge 121 before I arrived in Kuching. One of the staff picked me up from the airport which was nice as it was late in the evening. When I arrived, the staff were really friendly and gave me local information of where to go and what to do.

I stayed in a double room for a couple of nights which was very comfortable with air con. I then extended my stay and moved into a dorm room for a week as i enjoyed the accommodation very much.

The rooms all have air con, the bathrooms are shared with toilet and hot/cold shower which were very clean.

Each room is decorated to a high standard and are very clean.

The hostel has communal areas such as reading area and DVD room.

They also have toast, tea and coffee included. There is a drinks cabinet where you can buy fizzy drinks etc from reception.

The location is about 5 minutes to the harbour front and there are plenty of restaurants close by. There is even a cinema within a few minutes walk of the hostel.

Overall the hostel is one of the friendliest I have stayed in for a long time, the staff are really helpful especially the owner Henry.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank mark r
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Very nice and cosy interior. Everything has it's own Sarawak touch. Each room is decorated differently, has free wifi, and also a tv room which I absolutely love cause usually at night, after everybody's back, we'll bring our comforters and huddle together to watch a movie. Very clean place because we are not allow to wear our shoes inside. Mr. Henry (the one in charge) is friendly and helpful. He helped us find the cheapest bus and travel packages for us students. (So Mr Henry, if you're reading this, thank you!)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cindyluv