“Great place to stay”
Review of Lodge 121

Lodge 121
Ranked #11 of 86 Specialty Lodging in Kuching
Reviewed January 2, 2013

All in all one of the best places we stayed in Malaysia. Good, clean rooms and facilities, very helpful stuff, reliable Wifi. Prices are really good as well for budget travelers.

It is a short walk to the City Center, therefore a well equipped supermarket is around the corner.

We had three great days and good night's of sleep. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This is a really great, good value hostel in Kuching. Formerly an office block, it has a really funky design and interesting layout. It's a ten minute walk from the centre and close to a supermarket and a couple of funky restaurants such as Junk.

The room itself was a double, comfortable with a hot shower and comfy bed. The guys who run the place are extremely friendly and helpful. We felt more than happy asking them questions and having a chat with them. Theyll book you anything you want or tell you how to get anywhere. Lovely people!

There's also complimentary tea and coffee whenever you want it, and trust me, after a rain soaking Borneo-style, you'll appreciate it! The breakfast is basic, toast and butter or Kaya but for the price of this place you can't complain.

The only small negative I have is that the wifi doesn't work in the rooms upstairs. But as you can sit in the kitchen or tv room with a nice cup of tea and use it, it's not such a bother anyway.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed 7 nights here in a double room and 2 night in dorm, this is an excellent clean choice for budget travelers, we also found the staff really friendly and helpful.
The breakfast could be a little more healthy, white bread and no fruit option. But that is the only minor grumble.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hostel, as the road at the front can be a little loud and busy...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My buddies and I rent a triple en suite over the weekend in Kuching for our gathering.The first impression when we reached in front of this place, we looked at each other with suspicious face. The outlook wasn't impress me a lot before entering the hostel. But once we stepped in, we were liked "WOW, this place is really amazing!". It made me feel liked home with all the friendly staffs and the creative interior design. I really love the small living room of 2nd floor with such a special interior design. The whole place gave me warm and cozy feel. They provide continental breakfast with toasts , butter and kaya. My friends told me the kaya is really nice but i didn't manage to grab it. It was gone when i got down from my room since it is too yummy. The location is good. If you rent a car in Kuching, it is easy for you to get parking at downstairs. However, the hostel is quite near to waterfront and it just took us 15 min walking distance to most of the nice local restaurants.No doubt, i will be staying in the same place again and recommend to everyone who wanna go Kuching.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I cannot rate this place highly enough. I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Kuching.

The one thing that stood out was the quality of service I received when I stayed. The staff were so helpful in recommending things to do and places to eat ( You must go to top spot for great seafood) and they were aware of all of the bus times and equipped with maps to point you in the right direction. They will highlight all the places of interest when you check in without having to ask or prompt them. In particular Jair was always friendly and helpful. They also have a luggage storage area so you can store your things when you stay overnight in bako. I also met so many other warm, friendly people in the hostel which added to my experience.

The hostel is located a short walk (maybe 5-10mins) into town, so not right in the center. There is a supermarket nearby which sells supplies and snacks which comes in handy to take on the trails of Bako NP.

If I come back to Kuching again (and I'm sure I will) I will stay here again at lodge 121.

Room Tip: You will love Kuching. Make sure you allow enough time to experience everything this place has to of...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The whole hostel is really nice and clean and there is a really homely atmosphere. Felt like I was just chilling in my house!

Free breakfast of toast and tea was great, and tea and coffee available all day. There are 3 different areas that you can hang out as well as a tv room. The dorm was the nicest I've stayed in. All the beds are on the floor, no bunks which is really nice as you get your own space. Nice clean sheets and clean towels when you need. Warm showers and clean bathrooms.

Location is good. Easy to walk to the riverfront, shops, restaurants and bus stop where you can catch a bus to the national parks or Orang Utan sanctuary.

The owner was really friendly and helpful, even when we arrived at midnight and needed help cleaning our bags ( due to an airport disaster), he was happy to help us out.

Thank you, really enjoyed my stay at Lodge 121 and would definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

we check in on 25Oct and left on 28Oct morning.

you can let them know when u are arriving, and there will be a taxi driver picking you that cost RM24. the place was very neat and nice and bright. very clean too.

there's a small common table for you to have your breakfast (bread, butter, kaya), with coffee/tea and water any time.

the bed was comfy, however the walls are a little thin,so whenever other people or we are talking, we are able to hear some mumble here and there.

shower area was also clean acceptable.

the staff are also very friendly and nice. we wanted to go for dinner, and it was pouring madly, and they offer to send us there for a small amout of fee. (which is cheaper than the taxi).

to sum it up, it was a nice stay at this very nice and comfy place.

p/s: there's a nice cafe around the corner and the food they serve is nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends