“a place just to sleep over”

Celyn Hotel City Mall
Ranked #80 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We booked this hotel online. Arrived late at night. Their "ample" parking space is to park in the shopping mall which is next door. Since it was late and the shopping mall was closed I parked in front of the hotel. The reception is on the ground floor, but the rooms are outside the reception. To access the room you take a side stairs that is a public area to the elevator. This means the rooms can be access by anyone without passing the reception. When you get out the elevator, you have to enter a corridor and then to your room. To enter the corridor and the room is by card key. The room is basic and definitely needs some refurbishing. I noticed the locks both at the corridor and the room has been tempered with. So that gave me some concerns. With that in mind, I made sure I did not leave anything of worth in the room when we walked around the city. When we checked out, it took a long time. I did not know what was the issue. The great part of this hotel is that it is right in the centre of Kota Kinabalu city with the major attractions, restaurants and shopping malls around this place. There are other hotels around this area but a little bit more expensive.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stay here for 2 nights for my business trip. The hotel is located at City Mall. It is very far from airport and city area. It's also very hard to find a taxi in this area.

The hotel itself is surrounded by food and drinks outlet like Starbucks and one simple mall with Giant Supermarket as the anchor tenant. It's kinda quiet at night.

You need to double check your name when you check-in because my name was key in wrongly. Registration was slow. The room is small and basic and my air-cond was not cool enough and I ask the hotel staff to service it. The service was fast and after a while it's give a cool room.

There were no Wi-Fi in the room except the reception area. The staff don't speak good English but can understand.

Breakfast was simple.

Room Tip: The hotel location is very far from town and difficult to get a taxi.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jking223
Reviewed June 12, 2014

As with any other city-centre hotels, this hotel has just about every type of restaurants all around it and the philipino and gaya street markets are short walks away. Its more a sleep over place, and the rooms are compact and tidy.

Tip to remember - Your room access card opens two doors. One is the respective floor access door and the other is your room door. So just flip the card over for the two doors.. :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We arrived by the last flight from Kuala Lumpur so you can imagine our apprehension when the cab driver took us on a route towards Luyang rather than towards Kota Kinabalu town. I also imagined a tower attached to a mall, much like hotels in Kuala Lumpur and we were like "Is this the right place?" All that changed when we stepped in: the front office staff was friendly and helpful. We had booked a room online but they could not find our booking. The staff agreed to accept us with only our printed copy. The room was ample and adequately furnished for the three of us. What is interesting is that since it is located off Kota Kinabalu, it was easier for us to get to places like Tanjung Aru to get to the islands, or to go towards Kundasang and Kota Belud as we bypass most of the traffic. With a mall attached to it, we were quite self-sufficient in terms of supplies of titbits, drinks plus there is a number of F&B outlets located inside the mall if you need your coffee fix etc.

Breakfast is included although the choice is limited, but it was good to have if you have to make a trip to somewhere far early in the morning.

All in all, Celyn Hotel is a comfortable hotel to stay in but it is advisable that you have your own rented vehicle or make arrangements before going to KK. The hotel does arrange for transportation should you need to do the tourist stuff.

Would I return? Seriously, I don't mind. I think you do get value for money here as long as you are not expecting to stay in a Shangri-La equivalent.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John S
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I like the nice staff. Even though the rooms are in 70ies design, I wouldn't mind. I didn't stay at the hotel all the time anyway. Just to take a shower and sleep. It's near Phillipine Market, you should try seafood there, so yummy, and also the souvenir market.
It's not the 1st choice for sure, but not too bad.

Room Tip: Corner room will be the best, with street view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2013

i arrived at d hotel without reservation, so i was expecting 'room is not ready' , but instead d reception gave me d key within 5 min. so it was good for me. but d problem start when i arrived in front of my room. i can't open my door. so i went to d ground floor to report d problem. n she said that d battery for d door is low . then d other reception ask me to go up to my room as d maintenance guy will be thre. so d guy came , let me in n tried d door with his key, it turned out that my key is d real problem. they don't encode it. reception should verified d key first b4 make d speculation. btw, its ok for me. hot water is working n d room amenities is fine. excellent location, n convenient store 30sec walking distance. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank iansakong
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Firstly, the staff were friendly and polite.

The hotel is not where the map indicated it was (booked through skyscanner); it was more than 1 km further south, and we would not have booked here if we had realised the true location.

On arrival, our electronic room key did not work; we went back down to reception and they quickly sent up a couple of maintenance guys to fix it. It took them a good 30 mins to fix the problem.

About an hour after this we decided to go out, and realised that we could not open the door from the inside, and so were trapped in the room. We tried to ring both the operator and housekeeping, but there was no reply. We then tried calling the hotel number as advertised on the hotel letter head; we seemed to get onto the manager of the shopping complex, not hotel reception. Luckily he contacted hotel staff who then rang as back; when we'd alerted the hotel to the problem they quickly sent the maintenance team to let us out and fix the door again. This experience only lasted 10 minutes, but was quite unpleasant when we couldn't raise any hotel staff and realised we were effectively trapped.

Room cleaning seems to have been stopped halfway through, as they removed our soap but did not replace it, moved stuff we had on a desk into a draw but did not clean glasses left on the desk etc.

The décor is hilariously 70s awful, which isn't a big issue.

On balance, I would suggest not staying here; our experience was that it was not run or maintained well. It was also expensive for what it offered.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends