“Brilliant Step In!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Step in Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Step in Lodge
Sydney
“Brilliant Step In!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

I cannot recommend the Step In Lodge highly enough. Here are my experiences.

My main aim for my stay in Sabah was to stay somewhere on the cheap side of things. After a brief look around I settled on the Step In Lodge. I had very little idea of where to stay or what to do in Sabah and I couldn't seem to find much on the internet. I emailed the Step In and asked for some tips on planning my trip, getting in a hike up Mount KK and some scuba diving. A lovely lady named Karen replied and over the coming weeks we emailed back and forth until she had very kindly organised an itinery for me. Not only did she give me tips on how I should spend my time in Sabah, but she also took the time to book my trip up Mount KK.

I arrived in KK and was picked up at the airport by the Step In's driver and taken into town. Immediately i was made incredibly welcome. I checked in, taken to a very comfortable dorm room that I could have to myself. I immediately felt very much at home.

I met Karen and her staff and to be completely honest, their hospitality bettered that of many 5* hotels I've had the pleasure of staying at. I was made to feel completely at home, given all the information I needed and they always had a smile on.

Karen was then very kind enough to hook me up with a fellow traveller to go scuba diving with and help us choose our resort and accomodation. Without her I wouldnt have had any idea!

The most amazing part from my persective was that I tried to courier some excess baggage from KK back to Australia via courier. Unfortunately the shipment never left KK due to some problems with its contents. I had no way of getting my goods back, which were very valuable to me. My only hope was Karen! She took up the case for me and was able to pick up my goods and ship them back to Australia. To say I was over the moon was an understatement!

I really cannot recommend the Step In highly enough. It is not a 5* hotel, but it is VERY VERY clean, comfortable and secure. The beds are king size single, with clean sheets. The bathrooms are also very clean. Breakfast is basic but very nice and there is a computer with Internet access. The thing that really makes this place though is the staff....they truly are brilliant representatives for the Step In.

When you're looking for accomodation in KK, you cannot go past the Step In Lodge.

Cheers
Dave
Sydney, Australia

• Liked — The Staff!
  • Disliked — There was nothing I was unhappy with
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank dmorg78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

I spent a month in Sabah with my partner and we were in and out of Kota Kinabalu several times so stayed at Step In on about five occasions. It really is an excellent place. The staff are very friendly and helpful, it’s all spotlessly clean and is in an great location.

We always requested a private double room and most times ended up in a four person dorm with two sets of bunk beds but with nobody else in the room. The one time we got a double bed the room wasn’t great as it had no outside window at all and was adjacent to the front desk.

Can’t recommend this place highly enough if you are on a budget in KK.

• Liked — Very friendly staff
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kali737
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2007

Just quickly, if you are on a budget and in Kota Kinabalu then I wouldn't go beyond the Step in Lodge.
Very, very friendly staff (including informal Malay lessions); very clean; fierce air conditioning if required; cheap; close to the city centre, walkable to the pubs & restaurants etc at the waterfront and very flexible which was the best point in my book.
I was late for breakfast... no problem; wasn't sure what day i would be back... no problem etc etc.
In general a very chilled out place with just the right cruicy vibe for a relaxing stay.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing, but it is just a hostel
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo