“Do Not Step In Here!”
Review of Step in Lodge

Step in Lodge
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I just stepped in and out of this facility a night ago, and am writing this review now before I forget all the details.

Firstly, it's location, although close to the Night Market, the Warisan Square shopping mall and other reasturants by the esplanade, it is also right in the middle of a busy, noisy and dirty street, where night hawking goes on until after 10pm. The stairs leading up to the place are dirty, and it feels like you are walking into a factory or warehouse. The reception area and lobby is very big and clean but it opens to a narrow sitting area, or balcony where you can have a clear view of the above mentioned street and listen to Indian/ Arabic music blasting from the speakers below.

Secondly, you will pay RM28 for a bed in a dorm room with a fan. Sure, the mattresses are bigger than usual, and comfy if that sort of thing is a priority for you. Then there is a RM5 fee to access the wifi, which, by the way, you can only access in the lobby, not in your room! A room with aircon will cost you MR38 excluding wifi!

On the same night I went looking for other places to stay and you can try out the following instead:

Traveller's Light, Australia place where I moved to, North Borneo Backpackers which are RM25 for air conditioned dorm room and similar amenities.

The selling point for Step-in-Logde is that the staff is helpful, true, they did ask me where I was planning to go the following day, when I told them I want to climb Mt. Kinabalu they referred me to the Sutera offices, this is not helping. I booked my climb through Traveller's Light literally 5 minutes after I inquired about the climb.

This place has some redeeming qualities, the bathroom and showers are very clean, the beds are big and comfortable and breakfast is great (cereal, toast or Malay choice of Roti Canai and coffee)

Bottom line is you can get the same and more for far less than RM33 ( which is what a fan room with wifi costs you here)

Just dont do it!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nonishka

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I am not generally a hostel person, preferring small guesthouses over dorms. I stayed at Step In because a freind was staying there, and I must say it is fantastic. Comfy beds, good showers, nice common area and friendly staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2012

All I expect from a hostel is cleanliness and well-maintained facilities. Step-in Lodge manage this well, and with a smile; during both of my stays, their shared and private rooms were clean and comfortable, with a/c to boot. The latter isn't critical, but makes sleeping in Malaysian humidity that much more bearable. Many thanks for the repeatedly pleasant stays!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank arobinsonuk
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We had a dormstyle room for the 4 of us (2 adults and 2 teenagers). It was very hot in the room and the fan did not help too much. It was clean, the showers and toilet were ok. We liked the public room where breakfast is also served. In the evening we enjoyed chilling with a book. The location is very good, very central near the night markets and not too far from Jesselton pier to het the boats to one of the islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park.After all we found the price a bit too high; for the same price (or even a bit less) we got a huge private room with airco and private bathroom on the other side of the street.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2011

the decoration of this place was really nice and beautiful...
but the worse is..."BEDBUGS"............

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ralph p
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Clean basic dorms, with good sized beds, although I did have to share my dorm with a big ol' cockroach the first night. There was no window in my dorm, and only one socket. Showers all very clean, but there wasn't always toilet roll available so be prepared! Good location very close to the night market. No sign of bed bugs at all as mentioned in other reviews. Some staff were super friendly and helpful, others not so much, but there was a good communal area quite useful for meeting people. Apparently not the cheapest hostel in KK...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Benji2024
Reviewed March 19, 2011

My friend and I stayed in a few places in KK, and this was the best budget option we found. There are some cheaper places around town, but the Step In has a great location and it's a lot cleaner. I stayed there in Oct. 2010 and noticed some older reviews saying they had problems with bed bugs. But we didn't have any problems at all, so maybe they fixed the problem. My friend and I had a 6 person room all to ourselves complete with AC. We certainly couldn't have found that anywhere else for the same price.

They staff are helpful, but they don't go out of their way for you. The place itself is relaxing and friendly. Their second-story location makes for some great people watching down on the street.

Overall I would certainly recommend this place to any backpacker getting to know Sabah.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends