“Fantastic, friendly, clean place”
Review of Lavender Lodge

Lavender Lodge
London, UK
“Fantastic, friendly, clean place”
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at the lodge only for 1 night but despite of this low key establishment we enjoyed it as much (if not more) as staying at 5* hotels in Malaysia. Daniel- the owner, gave us all the advice we needed about the town. During our short stay we managed to have a chat with almost all the staff, they were all very friendly and personable. We felt like we were not just guests but friends. I would recommend this place to everyone- what you can expect is: very professional, personable service, very good location of the hotel and comfortable and clean room. Fact- there is no bathroom in the room but the common one is just few steps away and is very clean too. The place is an extremely good value for money. If we ever come back to KK we would be honoured to stay at the Lavender Lodge again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
singapore
Reviewed May 21, 2009

Lavender Lodge was just a night stopover before we set off to Mt Kinabalu at 8am. We arrived close to 11 in the night and was allocated a room on the 4th floor. The family room consist of 2 single beds and a bunk bed. We had to carry all our bags up 4 flights of stairs together with a 5yr old which was quite tiring.
The aircon below the window faced directly towards one of the single bed ,so whoever sleeps on that bed had to tolerate the cold air blowing on his face.
The price on the website differs slightly as we were told the room cost Rm$75 but were asked to pay RM$100. I presumed it was probably for taxes so didn't bother to question.
Overall, I would consider this place pretty decent for the price you pay. So if you are a budget traveller, this is just great. But won't recommend for families w children .

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed May 4, 2009

At first glance, the Lavender is just one of the many budget accommodation in downtown KK, with a narrow entrance and just a signboard on the slighted dated exterior. However, once you step inside, the atmosphere changes to a more welcoming and relaxed mood.

The group of 5 of us were given a bunk room for 4 and an additional mattress, decent considering we only paid RM25 per person. The cupboards were a little musty though, and my friend complained of sightings of a cockroach in the room. Apart from that, room were clean and comfortable enough for me - don't have too high expectations!

My friends and I had different experiences with the toilets - one had no hot water, another had no water. Guess it must be the pressure of the water tanks which were located on the same floor as us - 4th flr. I had no problems using the showers on the 3rd floor, so that's something guests may want to take note of. So apart from the couple of unpleasant experiences, the shower are clean and good!

However, what makes this place a real winner is the helpfulness of the owner, Daniel Soo, and his wife. Very friendly folks who readily dispense useful advice on places to eat and sights to see. They even offered to send us to a seafood restaurant where locals go as they had a bit of difficulty explaining. Thanks to them, our experience in KK was made all the more enjoyable!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank drunk-on-gin
Singapore
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights, was very happy with the 1st 2 nights on 3rd floor room. It was very clean. Though I was asked to transfered to another room on 3rd night to 1st floor, was not happy with that room as the floor was very dusty. My bare foot became black in no time after walking few rounds in the room.
Overall, Lavender Lodge is still a highly recommended place to stay. Very friendly boss & reception. Free internet, free airport pickup (For stay more than 3 nights), simple breakfast & unlimited refill of drinking water.
Am very statisfied with the shared toilet. Unbelievable clean!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Lavender Lodge... u might miss it's signboard at first if u didn't look carefully enuff. however, u can recognized by it's trademark purple color building. situated upstairs a coffee shop along Jalan Laiman Daki, in downtown Kota Kinabalu.
- perfect location as it's near to eateries
- coffee shops at downstairs and also across the road.
- Laundry is 3 minutes walk away.
- shopping malls is 10-15 minutes
- 2 cinemas down the road

- the rooms r freaking clean. housekeeping everyday, so u can look 4ward 2 a nice n cozy room after a tiring day out xploring Kota Kinabalu. well-lit room. altho, due to the carpeting, the room might have some moldy smell, well, just open d window n turn on the fan then the smell r gone.

- toilets n bathrooms are super clean too. Hot water provided.

- the staffs r friendly, never lack of smile n very helpful. even the owners are pretty chatty. they can help to arrange for tours such as island trip, white water rafting n sigh-seeing around Kota Kinabalu. the tour company will pick u up from the lodge itself.

- it's advisable 2 make reservation online at it's website as the rooms tends 2 b full.

- security wise...it's good.

- towels r provided and it's change everyday.

trying to looks for it's con in order to balance it with Lavender Lodge's pro but can't think of any. perhaps it's due to the fact that the stay there was in deed pleasant. worth every cents that i have spend there.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
HK
Reviewed March 5, 2009

It was my first time visiting KK. Did lots of research about KK's accommodation. Since i was going alone so I did plan to stay in a lodge instead of any resorts. After browsing so many sites, reading so many reviews, i picked this for my 7 days 6 nights trip.

Value: Rm price is in an average but they provide FREE towels, FREE shampoo/shower gels, FREE Breakfast, FREE Water/Coffee/Tea all day long, FREE Wifi, FREE internet station, and FREE AIRPORT PICKUP (Thanks Daniel !). Honestly, none of the hostel would provide this free service.

Cleanliness: 100% clean!! Visited my new friend's Ham*n Lodge, and Lavender can't be beat in any ways! U found no hair or no sands in the bathroom. Their employees are so hardworking. You found no scent in the toilets too. Its the cleanest hostel i have stayed so far in my life.

Location: 5 mins to walk to Center Point (one of the new and big mall) there you can do a bit of shopping, money exchange, ooh, and there got the latest supermarket in the basement which is essential for backpackers. Just across the street, you'd find lots of seafood restaurants which 2 of them are recommended in the travel guidebooks.

Service: Other than the free airport pickup, they helped so much on planning w/ my 7 days 6 nights trip in KK. Moreover, they got me the best deal for all these packages too. I did PADI Open water 3days course, Padas water rafting, went to see the monkeys and fireflies...thanks Jenny and Daniel for negotiating all these packages and calling them for the bookings =] One of their gal even helped to wake me up for my water rafting...

Room: Since its opened in mid 2007, its still very brand new. Mine was very roomy and cozy. Carpeted floor; high ceiling; thick mattress w/spring box, quiet AC w/remote. My room got a huge window, that made me like it even more! Even tho the hostel was fully booked, my room was still very quiet at night. Security is 100% safe. The counter can help you to keep expensive items such as a laptop/ camera. Their website pics refer exactly like the actual.

Addition: They treated me like their family. Since i traveled alone, one night i went out with my new diving friends and the owners waited me to get back till 5am !!!! You know, only parents/ grandparents/spouse would worry you that much or wait you home...I was extremely touched when i saw their eyes were so pink.

I must go back to visit you, Daniel and Jenny!! Thanks for your kindness and love.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Amandali97
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 26, 2009

It was my first time in a backpacker's lodge and I had no idea what to expect. We were looking for more affordable accommodation and we decided on Lavender Lodge after reading the reviews here.

We were greeted at the airport by Daniel, the owner of the lodge. A friendly man who helped us out with the pick-up despite our midnight arrival into KK. The rooms were clean and no worries about feeling warm because the air-conditioner and the fan takes care of that pretty well.

Prior to the trip, I was slightly concerned about the toilets and shared bathrooms. There are two shower rooms on each floor and a toilet each for girls and guys and it turned out to be nice and clean, with hot water for the showers and soap provided.

There's a single PC in the living area which you can use at any time of the day and breakfast is a modest affair with a choice of strawberry jam or kaya to go with the bread provided. There is a TV in the lodge, which has some cable channels - including our favourite, Discovery travel & living!

Some activities (such as white-water rafting) can be arranged by the reception so do feel free to ask them for help at any time. They were helpful and accommodating and even when we had already checked-out, they did allow us to leave our larger backpacks there while we made a trip to the nearby islands.

The jetty is located about a 10-minute drive from the lodge and a long-distance taxi terminal (for those heading to Mount Kinabalu) is a short 5 - 10 minute walk away. A cinema is also about a 5 minute walk from the lodge. There are a few places for seafood across the road and the lodge is about a 15-minute drive to the airport. There is a 24-hour convenience store near the entrance of the lodge too.

They do encourage you to leave your room key at the reception before you leave the lodge. However, do remember to take a small card from the front desk which has the name and the address of the lodge so you won't lose your way back!

All in all, it was a pleasant experience and this being my first hostel stay, has made me much more open to trying similar accommodations in other countries in the future - I just hope it's as safe, clean and welcoming as Lavender Lodge is!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple