It was my first time in a backpacker's lodge and I had no idea what to expect. We were looking for more affordable accommodation and we decided on Lavender Lodge after reading the reviews here.
We were greeted at the airport by Daniel, the owner of the lodge. A friendly man who helped us out with the pick-up despite our midnight arrival into KK. The rooms were clean and no worries about feeling warm because the air-conditioner and the fan takes care of that pretty well.
Prior to the trip, I was slightly concerned about the toilets and shared bathrooms. There are two shower rooms on each floor and a toilet each for girls and guys and it turned out to be nice and clean, with hot water for the showers and soap provided.
There's a single PC in the living area which you can use at any time of the day and breakfast is a modest affair with a choice of strawberry jam or kaya to go with the bread provided. There is a TV in the lodge, which has some cable channels - including our favourite, Discovery travel & living!
Some activities (such as white-water rafting) can be arranged by the reception so do feel free to ask them for help at any time. They were helpful and accommodating and even when we had already checked-out, they did allow us to leave our larger backpacks there while we made a trip to the nearby islands.
The jetty is located about a 10-minute drive from the lodge and a long-distance taxi terminal (for those heading to Mount Kinabalu) is a short 5 - 10 minute walk away. A cinema is also about a 5 minute walk from the lodge. There are a few places for seafood across the road and the lodge is about a 15-minute drive to the airport. There is a 24-hour convenience store near the entrance of the lodge too.
They do encourage you to leave your room key at the reception before you leave the lodge. However, do remember to take a small card from the front desk which has the name and the address of the lodge so you won't lose your way back!
All in all, it was a pleasant experience and this being my first hostel stay, has made me much more open to trying similar accommodations in other countries in the future - I just hope it's as safe, clean and welcoming as Lavender Lodge is!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the central business district of Kota Kinabalu, within walking distance to shopping complexes, restaurants and entertainment outlets. Our clean and comfortable rooms, exceptionally friendly staffs and affordable prices make our lodge the favorite among international travelers. Our aim is to ensure all our guests have a memorable stay with us and a great holiday in Sabah, Malaysia. From free airport pick up to travel advices and tours, just talk to us and we are always on hand to assist you. We are your holiday home in Borneo!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your Lavender Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lavender Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Lavender Lodge Kota Kinabalu, Sabah