“The Best Place To Stay in Sabah”
Review of Hamin Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kota Kinabalu
Hamin Lodge
Dunedin
“The Best Place To Stay in Sabah”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I was planning to stay at a hotel when I heard from my best friend to try this lodge instead. It was indeed reccommended as the place was clean, with a beautiful deco plus, with a helpfull staff who always try their best to show areas which mostly I would like to visit. Personally, this is great place to be.

The location was ideal for travellers like me and my friends who likes to see new things,taste new food and even got the chance to taste homemade wine. David was so nice to drive me to see the local cultural show personally. The seafood restaurant located downstair was excellent! This was my first visit to Sabah and it was a memorable experince at hamin.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Singapore
Reviewed September 6, 2009

Stay for 4 days in Aug 09. Book the room with transport but no one was there at the airport. In the end, we have to go to the lodge by ourself. Luckily KK was not a big place and the taxi driver knew his way.
Although we order for daily breakfast but was surprised we can only have 1 of of the 3 choices thruout the stay hence we opt out.
The room was not cleaned daily as what they had promised. They only clean it on the 3rd day when we mentioned about it but the floor mat was the same one.
Cob web on hanging on the wall and above the room light. Aircon was so noisy and dirty looking and staff don't really understand English hence there was communication issues.
And as we walk around the city for the few days, we realise that there are many new lodges and budget hotels around which offer very competitive price compare to Hamin.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank JuliaFeiChen

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed August 15, 2009

This place does not pander to Western tastes or demands. It has simple, clean rooms in a basic setting. There are lots of timber fittings.in the rooms and local wood carvings in the common areas.

We squashed a family of five into a queen family room - with a bamboo partition and bathroom. Bunks are fine and no traffic noise. The seafood market restaurant next door is well worth sampling. You can look out over the fish tanks from the common balcony. Some nights have dancing on-stage.

The city block is nothing special. But it's a short walk to shopping centres and the Waterfront . You will find a good selection of restaurants at Warison Square. And there are taxis everywhere to go places like Jesselton Pier (to the islands).

Basic breakfasts are available at the Lodge if you order in advance. Free internet (including wireless) is a nice bonus. Staff are cheerful and helpful. Basic - but good value. Handier to town than other options.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Disappointed with their service... Location is great. Nothing else leaves good impression. Rooms are clean but no one comes in to tidy or clean up when someone leaves the dormitory. The toilet were cleaned once in 4 days!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Hamin Lodge is perfect for the budget traveller. I booked the basic queen with private bathroom. The room was basic & small but had everything you need. Unfortunately my bed & pillow were quite hard. The location is a winner with a huge seafood restaurant next door & within two blocks of a huge shopping complex & cinema and the waterfront area. Staff are friendly & helpful. Provision of washing machine, iron, drinking water, hair dryer & internet all free were a real help. Basic breakfasts are available for RM10.5. I booked a nice day trip out to one of the islands for a reasonable price through the hotel. The only negative thing I would say was that leaving the hotel at 5am for an early flight there were a few homeless people sleeping on the balcony/stairs at the entrance but security seemed to be ok for the hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Manila
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My friends and I just got back from a trip to Kota Kinabalu. We stayed at Hamin Lodge for 3 nights and we loved it there. The staff (especially Maltini) were all very helpful and accommodating. We initially booked 2 queen rooms but they let us stay in 1 family room (we were 5) which meant less expense for us. We wanted to experience the city on our own and the staff never got tired of our endless questions about where to go or what bus to take. The lodge's decor was also very cozy & warm. Its location is within walking distance to a lot of must see places in the city center plus, a row of seafood restaurants & a grocery store is just next door. It just proves that you don't need to spend a lot of money on a trip to have loads of fun.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank babydoc27
Singapore
Reviewed January 10, 2009

I chose this lodge based on the good reviews for 2 nights. Honestly, I wasn't impressed very much but I admit that the Budget Queen Room is excellent for the money I paid. Very very roomy and it comes with private bathroom. The location is also perfect. You can walk to various shopping malls,night market(but boring) and sunday market. If you don't mind walking a bit longer, you can reach Filipino Market, tourist center and the clock, too.
There is a famous spot of many seafood restaurants just next to it and a convenience store across of it. You won't have a problem to granbsomething to eat.

Another reason I chose this lodge was I could book optional tours easily through the website. Unfortunately, the half-day tour ( city and surroundings) didn't meet my expectation at all. You can find the same tour from other travel agencies by paying only 90 MYR. Also, the website( go to MORE) mentions "Rasa Ria Orang Utan Sanctuary located in Tuaran" "Mengkabong Water Village" etc, but they aren't included in this half-day tour. They must come from another tour, I suppose. I wanted to see Orang Utan, that was why, I booked the tour. In fact, the destinations I went to during this tour were Sabah Tun Mustapha Tower, State Mosque, Chinese temple and museum. This half-day tour isn't worth 100MYR. I wanted to complain about this after the tour, but I didn't come across the owner( of Hamin Lodge) after all. Very disappointed.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — half-day tour from its website
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank mamacita1001