“Not clean, rude staff”

Kinabalu Daya Hotel
Ranked #53 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I would expect better of best western. This is simply not up to their standards and should be removed as one of their hotels. The windows do not look out onto the street but a metal shell put on to make it look more modern, 25 years ago. Very small room. Banged up furniture. Bizarre bathroom set up. Not well dusted. Tiny elevators, with steps to get up into them. Not disabled access at all. Breakfast was actually good with a large array of cultural offerings for wide variety of guests. Loud noise from hallway. Towels not replaced. Asked THREE times for replacement. Promises to call maid. Manager just huffed at bothering her.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

The Hotel is still OK, but you See that its old. The location in the City center is nice. The breakfast is nothing special, you get a better one in the Cafés around you. Internet connection is free but dos not Work every time, big trouble to use...

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Rented 3 rooms (2 queen and 1 twin room) for 2 nights. Musty smell in the 1st queen room, stuffy and hot even with the a/c turned on in the 2nd queen room and only the twin room is in good working order. TV reception is very poor, wifi is a hit and miss affair for all the 3 rooms and 3G reception for my phone is almost non-existent. Breakfast is simple but acceptable. Location is perfect! Gaya street is just 5 mins away with good food and sunday market.

Room Tip: Standard room with queen sized bed is pathetically small, go for room with twin beds which are much...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked 2 nights here as a last minute upgrade from staying in a hostel a few blocks away.
I personally think it's a decent place- the hotel was clean and the staff were friendly to us. The manager looked a bit stressed at the time but there were lots of people around so can't blame her for that!

The room was very nice- small but good, clean sheets and decent furniture. The bathroom was decent too, no complaints about the room at all. We were right by the lift but I don't remember hearing any noises except others guests a couple of times.

The breakfast was fine- although it's an asian breakfast buffet, so from memory it was more soups/noodles and dinner-like food on offer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nikki S
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 6 088 240000.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in Best Western for one night. Its perfecty located right in the centre close to the bus stop. The room was nice and clean. The reception desk staff was helpful, but they didn't manage to book a taxi for us. If I ever stay in KK again, I'll probably pick this place. What is important, the WiFi works perfecty.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We booked at the Kinabalu Daya Hotel after an unhappy experience with the Bunibon Lodge. We were lucky enough to get some pretty good rates via Agoda so we settled on a standard room w/ breakfast included. I typically like having breakfast out of the hotel to be able to explore the surrounding area, but the heat in KK was just so stifling that I was much happier to have breakfast in a nice, airconditioned restaurant.

The room itself was pretty basic but met every need we had, with a table and chairs as well as a closet for keeping our stuff. The TV and mini fridge was a nice bonus, as we don't usually need/use these on our trips. Most importantly it was very clean, despite the obvious signs of wear on some of the fixtures.

We stayed on a smoking room, which concerned me due to some reviews that said smoke would filter through the aircon system. However we were given a choice between early check-in (10am) or non smoking with a late check-in (2PM). Since we were tired after our bad night of sleep in Bunibon Lodge we decided to take the chance with the smoking room. Luckily we had no smoe issues, and the room didn't really smell like smoke to us (a hotel room we stayed in while in Japan was thick with the smell of nicotine when we came in, so we know what that smells like). They also allowed late check out of 1PM, which wasn't bad, although we would have liked it to be later considering our 6PM flight.

The bathroom was pretty nice, and happily came with a divider between the shower and the toilet. This is a pet peeve of ours, as we don't understand why any hostel or hotel wouldn't just put a shower curtain or enclosure to separate toilet from shower. It's really not that expensive. Speaking of inexpensive improvements, I found it rather ironic that the bathroom had the generic sticker about "leaving your towels on the rail to save the environment." The irony? No towel rails! We ended up hanging them on the shower enclosure, which is a less than optimal solution. Seriously, they should invest in a few towel racks/rails.

Staff was decent, giving us directions and generally being very helpful. Breakfast buffet was good, with mainly an Asian selection but also a small selection of fruits, cereals and breads, as well as a pancake and eggs station. The location was also excellent for getting around this area of the city, near gaya street and 10 minutes away from the Jesselton Ferry pier. Wisma Merdeka and Suria Sabah are nearby for your shopping needs. A decent place to eat in Wisma Merdeka is a restaurant called "Teatime" (I think) on the third floor just before the food court. They have decently priced food, coffee and desserts, as well as free wifi, which my wife and I happily used as we were killing time before going to the airport.

So overall not bad for the price we paid, and if they had another promotion I would happily stay there again. But based on their published rates I may be inclined to try somewhere else.

Room Tip: There's a service telephone on every floor. If your room is near it (like ours) you will hear i...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ryansumo

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My previous stay, 4 years ago was pleasant. This trip was horrible. The front desk staff was not friendly at all. The Wi-fi barely worked. Even the Internet in the lobby was down 4 different times. The shower door leaked so bad, we could take a bath on the floor. The housekeeping staff was very nice. I will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family