“Good location, Decent Price”

Kinabalu Daya Hotel
Ranked #67 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Manila
“Good location, Decent Price”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We booked at the Kinabalu Daya Hotel after an unhappy experience with the Bunibon Lodge. We were lucky enough to get some pretty good rates via Agoda so we settled on a standard room w/ breakfast included. I typically like having breakfast out of the hotel to be able to explore the surrounding area, but the heat in KK was just so stifling that I was much happier to have breakfast in a nice, airconditioned restaurant.

The room itself was pretty basic but met every need we had, with a table and chairs as well as a closet for keeping our stuff. The TV and mini fridge was a nice bonus, as we don't usually need/use these on our trips. Most importantly it was very clean, despite the obvious signs of wear on some of the fixtures.

We stayed on a smoking room, which concerned me due to some reviews that said smoke would filter through the aircon system. However we were given a choice between early check-in (10am) or non smoking with a late check-in (2PM). Since we were tired after our bad night of sleep in Bunibon Lodge we decided to take the chance with the smoking room. Luckily we had no smoe issues, and the room didn't really smell like smoke to us (a hotel room we stayed in while in Japan was thick with the smell of nicotine when we came in, so we know what that smells like). They also allowed late check out of 1PM, which wasn't bad, although we would have liked it to be later considering our 6PM flight.

The bathroom was pretty nice, and happily came with a divider between the shower and the toilet. This is a pet peeve of ours, as we don't understand why any hostel or hotel wouldn't just put a shower curtain or enclosure to separate toilet from shower. It's really not that expensive. Speaking of inexpensive improvements, I found it rather ironic that the bathroom had the generic sticker about "leaving your towels on the rail to save the environment." The irony? No towel rails! We ended up hanging them on the shower enclosure, which is a less than optimal solution. Seriously, they should invest in a few towel racks/rails.

Staff was decent, giving us directions and generally being very helpful. Breakfast buffet was good, with mainly an Asian selection but also a small selection of fruits, cereals and breads, as well as a pancake and eggs station. The location was also excellent for getting around this area of the city, near gaya street and 10 minutes away from the Jesselton Ferry pier. Wisma Merdeka and Suria Sabah are nearby for your shopping needs. A decent place to eat in Wisma Merdeka is a restaurant called "Teatime" (I think) on the third floor just before the food court. They have decently priced food, coffee and desserts, as well as free wifi, which my wife and I happily used as we were killing time before going to the airport.

So overall not bad for the price we paid, and if they had another promotion I would happily stay there again. But based on their published rates I may be inclined to try somewhere else.

Room Tip: There's a service telephone on every floor. If your room is near it (like ours) you will hear i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ryansumo
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 6 088 240000.

BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Philippines via Chicago
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My previous stay, 4 years ago was pleasant. This trip was horrible. The front desk staff was not friendly at all. The Wi-fi barely worked. Even the Internet in the lobby was down 4 different times. The shower door leaked so bad, we could take a bath on the floor. The housekeeping staff was very nice. I will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank trainerstone

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Modern hotel with nice bed and clean sheets, and hot shower. Our floor is one of five that are No Smoking. However, in the evening, our neighbor's smoke filled our room. We called the desk and within ten minutes, they reported having discovered the culprit and he stopped smoking. Phew! The breakfast was excellent, including an egg, pancake and waffle station. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to the sea and lots of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank M J B

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel to me was average in everything, what you can expect from such a hotel. Except the complementary breakfast which is exceptional! The hotel is going trough some renovations probably due to mold depending on the smell in the hallway so I wouldn't stay here at the moment.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank yasminarafat

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is one of the best hotels in Kota Kinabalu I have stayed. Easy access to many roads. Very delicious food, good environment. Good service and nice people. Very comfortable and clean rooms. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Thasun

Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed October 28, 2012

As a Tour Agent, I am very disappointed with the hotel's poor service. They need to train their staff to do a better job when handling reservations. My guests had to endure an embarrassing situation when they checked in and the hotel claimed they have not paid (when in fact, we already paid from the tour agent's side). They requested for us to hand over the receipt for proof. Thing was, it's a public holiday and we weren't at the office. Moreover, hotels rarely request receipts from the agent in front of the guests as the agent rate is different compared to the published rate. As a matter of fact, they should have the guests' names registered in the computer since we paid two days earlier (not banked in, but paid DIRECTLY to the hotel's counter). What's more, they promised to send in a fruit basket for my guests as an apology for the mess-up, but didn't. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for customers who want value for their money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AnnoyedTourAgent
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012

Quebec, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in a superior room 4 nights with a window (several rooms do not have window!!). Nice room with all the amenities, large shower, hot water and a nice king size bed. Very helpful staff at reception, nice buffet breakfast in the Hunter's lounge, made to order eggs, waffles, omelettes etc... although place is a little small. Well situated, close to harbour, filipino's market, and boardwalk to watch sunset. A good place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Mr/Miss,