“I'd pick another place”
Review of Borneo Backpackers

Borneo Backpackers
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I got bitten by bedbugs (on my face), the walls were so thin I could hear my next door neighbours whispering, and breakfast was rationed (limited to 2 slices per person, said the sign.) I'll be staying somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank yo_graham
BB_Administrator, Marcom at Borneo Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear yo_graham, thank you for your feedback to us. We have communicate the feedback to Borneo Backpackers Team, and done thorough checking on the mattress but find no traces of bed bugs. Eventually before your arrival, the groups who stayed in the room has no comment on bed bugs when checked out.

Please be assured that all rooms are being steamed and cleaned properly after each check out to ensure cleanliness and guests' comfort during their stay. We thank you once again for writing to us, and hope to welcome you back again in the future. Thanks

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed here two times while traveling trough Borneo and can't say I'm a big fan of the place. Sure, it's a quality guest house, the place is fairly clean and you can quickly meet other people, but I can't say i like the atmosphere. This is mainly because of the personnel. The two times I visited it seems like there was a lot of family of one the staff, which is ok, but not when the staff is focusing on them instead of the visitors. They weren't eager to help us out and weren't interested in us in any way. The location is perfect though. Put in nice and friendly staff and you got yourself a perfect little hostel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

I've been travelling for 6 months around Asia and this was probably the worst hostel I've stayed in. The first night we got there, we woke up the next morning covered head to toe in bed bug bites - I even changed beds half way through the night because I could feel my entire body being eaten! So the next morning we told the lady at reception that the beds were laden with bed bugs and her response was ' if the problem persists, just move to the top bunk, if you still find yourself being bitten, go and find another hostel' she was obviously aware that there was a bed bug problem, but she honestly didn't give a dam that all of her guests in the room had been eaten alive! We asked the same lady whether she had any recommendations for us to see/do in the city and her response was 'there is absolutely nothing to do here'. To be honest I think that the staff at this hostel hate people! They are definitely not competent enough to run a hostel.

We slept one more night in the hostel before we departed the next day, and spent the entire night itching and scratching. In fact one of the guests in our room left her bed and slept on the hostel lobby floor because it was that unbearable.

We left the next day but unfortunately, the bugs stayed with us, it took us around 5/6 days to get rid of the bugs and we had to get the entire contents of our backpack washed and steamed (which wasn't cheap) my advice to all travellers would be to never ever stay here!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The rooms are a bit bare and the staff are a bit distant but overall the place is good value for money. Note it is a bit noisy because it is next to a main road but you are a stones throw from the sea and the market so the location is very convenient. There is a pretty good and quirky restaurant downstairs as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Rooms are clean but outlet are limited, staffs are helpful and friendly. It locates next to the Sunday market, easy to find whatever you need, very convenient.
And the important reason I chose it was: it has free airport pickup service if you stay 2 nights(need to book from their own website). It's very good for my 1st time visit KK.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I just had to find out that it is really tricky finding a good backpacker hostel in KK. All 3 hostels i stayed in were bad. But Borneo Backpackers was the worst despite being the cheapest. (How i miss the lovely hostels in the philippines now. *sigh*)

BBP looks good on first sight and the single-price is very competetive (40 MR). Thats the reason i give it 1 star. Also some of the staff are nice.

But some other staff members are the most rude people i have ever met in a hostel in many years of travelling and that is no exaggaration.

When i arrived i was surprised about the big room and i thought about extending. So I went back to the counter and asked for extension. The lady in charge was eating and watching tv. She literally said without looking at me: "I am eating now. Later!!"

Then I tried to sleep in the afternoon, although the blanket smelled like piss (some other reviewer also noticed that.) After having a nap for 2 hours i woke up watching a bed bug walking about my hand, full with (my?) Blood.

I was lucky, because staff was not eating anymore and there was obviously nothing interesting in the TV so she assisted me to change my room. Her excuse was "Someone brought the bedbug from the jungle" (again, some other reviewer experienced the same. Seems to be their usual excuse).

When i wanted to have a cigarette at 11.30 pm on the balcony, my favourite staff member came to me saying unfriendly and in shock "But i have to close the balcony now!!!". I was suprised and reacted like "oh really?" And she said to me like very annoyed with big wide open eyes "Yeeeeheeees!!!"

Next morning i looked around for alternatives and found something else. This staff made me aggressive and i am a peaceful person.

To be fair. All hostels i stayed in Kk were bad. But this was the worst!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank i_love_earplugs
Reviewed December 3, 2013

One of the lowest price u can get in KK. Provides the very basic necessities..clean bathrooms with no shampoo & low water pressure and breakfast with 2 slices of toast & hot drink (not complaining, just stating).. If u stay 2 nights consecutive, u will get an arranged airport pick-up..which for me was on time..Oswell, the driver was very kind and polite too.

Receptions & staffs were rather friendly too..once u get to know them a little. They were kind enough to assist me with my last minute tour plans and night extensions.

Location wise: strategic as it's near to main attractions within walking distance.

Some of the few things which could be better:
-Mattress could be changed to thicker ones as it all got old and rather flat.
-More plug points needed in dorm! Only 2 sockets for the entire room with 4-10 beds..that's definitely not enough.

If u're on a very low budget, BB is for u. Expect the very basic.

p/s: I stayed at BB for 8 nights..20-28 Nov 2013.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo