I travelled on my own and it probably didnt help that I arrived late at night and had just stayed in an amazing hostel in Vietnam.. first impression was that the staff lived here/treated it as their home, and weren't really here to help the customers..they even had a cat living there with them which was harmless but a bit weird! Always sitting on the reception counter.
One night, a girl turned up in our room at 2am with no luggage. Seemed weird as last check in is at 11am. She couldn't speak much English so her explanation didn't satisfy my roommatesn unfortunately, who woke whilst I remained fast asleep. When we queried her presence with the staff, who we had to wake to do so, they were less than impressed, and even when we explained why we thought it weird, werw very off with us! Luckily it turns out the girl was there legitimately..
Otherwise, there are not enough plugs in the rooms and lockers are small but again, I've probably been spoilt on that front in previous hostels! Quite a noisy hostel because of outside traffic.
Also worth noting, staff weren't flexible to allow another girl a bed to sleep in whilst she waited for check-in time, even though more of the beds were free than not!
Breakfast is bread (not toast) and spreads.. needless to say most go to the cafe downstairs for toast!
All in all the hostel itself is fine and I liked the give/take corner where you could leave unwanted things for someone else to benefit from. I got myself a snorkel and goggle set! Just not as good as other hostels I've stayed in and staff not what I hoped of malaysia!! Maybe I've been spoilt elsewhere!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the heart of the city; Borneo Backpackers has already attracted the attention of discerning travellers from around the world. Some guests have already made return visits, and many more have vowed to return. While guests originally come for the facilities on offer, such as clean bathroom, toilets, pantry area, internet facility, cozy lounge area, roof garden deck, 24 hours security, and a tour information counter. They return for the service from our friendly, helpful and knowledgeable local staff. Rooms are all air con, from Dorms to Private rooms. Rates begin at $7 USD. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Borneo Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Borneo Backpackers Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Borneo Backpackers Kota Kinabalu, Sabah