“Cat Pee”

Borneo Backpackers
Santiago, Chile
“Cat Pee”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

PROS:
- Decent WiFi, though it goes off occasionally
- A/C works great.

CONS:

- Stayed 2 nights in two different bunks in the A/C mixed dorm. Both times the mattress/pillow/sheets smelled like old cat pee, unpleasant, to say the least.
- The "free breakfast" is somewhat of a joke: 2 slices of bread, jam, butter, tea or coffee.
- They promised me an airport pickup and left me there because my flight was delayed. Had to call them about it and they just told me I had to take a taxi there. Not very accommodating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gibbogirl5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here for two days in the co-ed shared room and it was decent enough. I had a good time with my roommates. They have a good wi-fi connection. I like the "house" feel to it. I can read a book in the common area the entire day. Accessible to most places. The cafe downstairs is also nice.

The bedbug problems comes in any trip so it's OK. The free breakfast was OK: one bread, one cup of coffee. The staff was accommodating and friendly. The common bathroom is clean. The water from the showers were sufficient. The airconditioner was blasting cold we had to ask the reception lady to turn it down a bit.

This is a GOOD place if you're really into sharing a good time with new people.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
davao
Reviewed August 30, 2012

A cheap hotel with a good value for money. I like how fast they responded to email inquiries. The location is perfect. Accessible to most of the to-visit-places in Kota Kinabalu. It's like coming to home. They provide airport pick up. They don't provide excellent service but you know the feeling of being home - you are relax, you have a family, you have your own room with airconditioned but nothing too fancy. The toilet and bath is outside but it's clean and not crowded. There is free wi-fi though it was not working during our stay. And they offer free breakfast. But be ready. You have to prepare it yourself and you have to wash your own utensils after and that's something different. When I visit again the country, I might stay there still.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hostel is full with bedbugs. I've stayed here 1 night but I've checked out as soon as possible in the morning. The staff is aware of the bug problem but keeps on checking people in. After complaining I've got my money back and they have washed some clothes.

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed at Borneo backpackers after reading reviews on tripadvisor, following my instinct that when it's a 50-50 review, it could be good and i was right.
I had a lovely stay here I even bought their T-Shirt to wear it proudly later.
Well I could be bias coz I love the Borneo in general, but this place is relatively clean with friendly service, and value for money. What more can u ask for from a budget place?
I stayed in a female dorm for RM25 per night, it's wooden bed and comes with nice aircondition, and a locker inside the room with just RM5 refundable deposit.
I love all the details put inside the place, following borneo theme, even the mirror at the shared bath.
There's a rooftop mini garden where you can view somewhat blocked sunset but still, a nice place to chill and relax with your own drinks and away from the crowd.
They also provide a washing machine and a decent drying area for your laundry. Yeay!
the lounge area is nice and i always saw people hanging in there using their internet / wifi.
Toilet is dry and clean all the time, with hot water in the shower cubicle, and they also provide soap with a dispenser inside!
The location is very near to Gaya Street Market, literally can be seen from your window if you're facing the main street, and also walking distance to Jesselton Point where you take the boat to the islands. The hostel provides good security and there's a nice coffeshop down stairs that you might mistaken to be their reception area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a nice experience here and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They even let me keep my bags for the day when I hadn't been staying there on the way back from Sandakan and sent my postcards for me which was really nice! They have free wi-fi and basic breakfast available- plenty of showers and a nice hangout area. However, I did meet a girl who had stayed in the dorm that I was in a couple of days after me who had contracted bed bugs- I for some reason was really lucky as they had just sprayed apparently (although am still paranoid and put on a boil wash as soon as I got home!!!). They seemed to be under the impression that she had brought them in herself but one of the staff admitted that they were infected with bed bugs at some point in July already so this seems to be a case of a severe infestation. It seems to be difficult to get rid of them which is a real shame and not ideal for backpackers as they get in every crevice imaginable. I hope they sort this out soon as it's a nice place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travellerdcc
Aachen, Germany
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I really can`t understand the positive reviews. I booked for two nights and ended up leaving a Day earlier because there were plenty of BEDBUGS in my Room. There were also cockroaches in the common room and the kitchen. When I left, they were Kind enough To give me my money back for the night that I didn't spend there. However it seemed To me that they didn't care much about this. In fact I had the Impression that they already knew about the plague but they refuse to do anything about it since the travellers continue to come. I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in a Lot of low budget hostels but I have never Seen anything like that before.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo