“Good experience- but recent infestation of bed bugs :(”
Review of Borneo Backpackers

Borneo Backpackers
Dublin, Ireland
“Good experience- but recent infestation of bed bugs :(”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had a nice experience here and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They even let me keep my bags for the day when I hadn't been staying there on the way back from Sandakan and sent my postcards for me which was really nice! They have free wi-fi and basic breakfast available- plenty of showers and a nice hangout area. However, I did meet a girl who had stayed in the dorm that I was in a couple of days after me who had contracted bed bugs- I for some reason was really lucky as they had just sprayed apparently (although am still paranoid and put on a boil wash as soon as I got home!!!). They seemed to be under the impression that she had brought them in herself but one of the staff admitted that they were infected with bed bugs at some point in July already so this seems to be a case of a severe infestation. It seems to be difficult to get rid of them which is a real shame and not ideal for backpackers as they get in every crevice imaginable. I hope they sort this out soon as it's a nice place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travellerdcc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Aachen, Germany
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I really can`t understand the positive reviews. I booked for two nights and ended up leaving a Day earlier because there were plenty of BEDBUGS in my Room. There were also cockroaches in the common room and the kitchen. When I left, they were Kind enough To give me my money back for the night that I didn't spend there. However it seemed To me that they didn't care much about this. In fact I had the Impression that they already knew about the plague but they refuse to do anything about it since the travellers continue to come. I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in a Lot of low budget hostels but I have never Seen anything like that before.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank maria R

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stay in a double aircon room for one night before depart back home. the aircon works fine and the room and bed is clean. the whole place is consider clean and our room doesn't affect by any noise too. it's a little bit misleading on the hostel entrance. it doesn't have a ground floor reception, which lead us accidentally walk into a restaurant downstairs.

After the climb in mount kk, I think many people will laugh when seeing staircase. that's what happened to us, where we need to go upstairs for check-in with luggage, luckily it's just first floor for us. One of the best thing is they provide kitchen, so we can just boil water our cook instant noodle is we wanted to.

Another problem is we found that the water pressure is quite weak and end up i didn't get a hot shower. other than that, everything is good, they have all the facility we need, hair dryer, kettle, internet, etc.. (no towel provided), location is about 10mins to beach front/Filipino market. And the staff is friendly too, she helps us to book a cab for our ride to airport. Great hostel and can improve more. :)

Room Tip: Bring your own towel. Not all bathroom have shower gel and shampoo.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johandy27
Singapore
Reviewed April 18, 2012

my 2nd time going to Sabah and staying in Borneo Backpackers, May2011 and Apr 2012. The staff were friendly and the place is super clean. it is also a safe hostel. I will recommend and return to stay there if i am going back to Sabah :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BChiflyer
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here for about a week in March. We stayed in 4 different rooms during our stay, so I feel like I know the place pretty well! The private air con double rooms are by the far the nicest (70Rm) but do feel a bit small once you have two people and two big back packs in there. The dorms rooms are OK but very cramped (there are 10 beds) and not a lot of room to put your luggage down. There are lockers in the dorm room for your valuables though which is handy. The air con in the dorm room was absolutely freezing so you may want to consider taking a blanket or sleeping bag, as non are provided.

All in all the hostel is a good place to stay for a few days in KK. It's definitely not the worst place but, not the best either. The staff are friendly enough but don't really go out of the way to be helpful. There are plenty of bathrooms and these are kept relatively clean. There is a small common area with two computers but the wifi is much faster and also a rooftop area which is quite nice to sit in the evening. If you're loooking for a social atmosphere, this is definitely not the place as everyone is really quiet and keeps to themselves - a result of the kind of atmosphere that's been created here.

The location is one street back from the ' main street' Gaya but is probably just as noisy with traffic in the mornings. KK is a small city so it's really close to all the main attractions and Merdeka bus station.

My main complaints with this place would be that non of the sheets fitted the bed (quite common in Sabah) and that we noticed 3 bed bugs in one of the rooms. We didn't see any after this so I don't think there's an infestation but just might pay to check the bed out before tucking in!

Like I said, an Ok place to stay for a few days but there are other options in town that I felt were better value for money.

Room Tip: Take a look at the room before hand!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sezbo_25
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Quite satisfied with number of bathrooms they provide for guests that help reduce toilet rush hour stress in the morning and the evening. Location is great, not too near and too noisy like ones on Gaya Street.

Room Tip: a room in the living room area looked nice though I stayed 3-bedded dorm
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at Borneo backpackers for four nights, it was the first shared room we had stayed in on our travels. It was fine, the rooms were very clean, the staff were friendly and reasonably helpful and there was free internet all day. it was in a good location, easy to get places and you can book tours through them too. Overall I was very happy with the place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends