See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed December 1, 2010

The room I stayed in was old and dated; the bed, sheets and all. In general, I had a very uncomfortable stay. The lady behind the counter when I checked in late in the afternoon seriously needs to take a course in customer service or something in hospitality (lol). However, a different lady the next morning was more professional in the job (also more easier on the eyes ahem). The only plus side to this place was the spectacular view of the mountain.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank bondeo
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We arrived at around 9pm on a Saturday night in a rental car after an unexpected change of plans. Obviously it was dark when we arrived but the chill night air told us we were high in the mountains. We took a ‘superior/de-luxe’ room for about 170MYR, which was of a good size had wood flooring and was well decorated. It seemed very clean, though as I took a shower there was a large beatle lying on its back kicking its legs in the corner. I flicked it down the plug hole so couldn’t say whether it was a cockroach though the hotel did seem very clean so I would be surprised if this was the case.

We ate in the restaurant on the first night and both ordered sizzling beef, which had the texture and taste of a wellington boot and was quite expensive for Borneo.
The structure of the building our room was housed in was wood, and it seemed that the man in the next room was the worlds loudest snorer and those above were wearing wooden clown shoes. We therefore had a somewhat disturbed nights sleep but in the morning we awoke to a fantastic view of Mount Kinabalu from the balcony, which made some of the shortcomings worthwhile.

We decided to stay another night as we planned to do some walking at the mountain. The Superior room wasn’t available so we took a different room in another block for 120 MYR. This was smaller but again was clean and as it wasn’t in the wooden block was actually quieter, until the chamber maids began work the next morning. We decided against eating in the restaurant on this night and went to a nice place a couple of KMs down the road towards the village.

One thing which left a bit of a bad taste in the mouth was that on the first night we spent a fairly large amount on food and drinks and settled the bill that night. Apparently the waitress miscalculated the bill and I therefore paid 4MYR too little—this is about $1. When we were leaving the next day, the manageress stopped me and said I needed to clear the balance of my bill. Obviously I was confused about this, and was even more surprised when I realised the amount outstanding and that they’d decided to follow up on this!
In summary, the hotel is well situated close to the entrance to Kinabalu National Park and most rooms offer great mountain views. The hotel is clean and the rooms are OK, if a little noisy. In my opinion the restaurant is over priced and the food isn’t great (though thats based on one meal), but there are other options nearby if you have your own transport.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LS13
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We got pressured to take a 7pm bus, when we only got off our plane at 5:30pm. We arrived at 9, got quickly checked in. When we entered our room, 4 cockroaches appeared, including one that skittled across our bed, which had a very stained duvet. I was tired and horrified. I went to go to the front desk to get another room, or at least some bug spray, to find that they had locked up for the night. So we put up our mosquito net, just so I didn't worry about the cockroaches that were still under the bed (we only managed to catch one and fling it outside). The shower has low water pressure. The hallway carpets are gross.

The breakfast was good and a decent price. We did get told to wait on the side of the road for a minivan by the front desk to go to the mountain. We waited over half an hour, within sight of the front desk. I then asked them to call a taxi (which apparently costs the same) which showed up in 5 minutes.

We only stayed there because of the Lonely Planet and would NOT go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank canadianelise
Reviewed September 25, 2009

You have to view things in context. Perhaps our room would not have been worth RM 84 if it was located on the backstreet of some mid-sized Malaysian city. But right there in front of our balcony was as fine a view of Mount Kinabalu as you likely to see anywhere. On the first morning there were no clouds and you could see the jagged stone peaks right against the sky. Even when it got cloudy and misty later on, the sight of the mist blowing across the mountain forest was also worth the price of admission.

The other thing to mention is how horribly over-priced so many tourist-oriented things are in Sabah. The state has some of the most expensive tours in all South-East Asia and with churlish inhospitality it charges foreigners five times local entrance fees. In this context, the Rose Cabin also looks like decent value. Go into the park (which is where Lonely Planet recommends you stay) and you can pay RM 100 for a dorm bed! And the cafes in there- just two kilometres away- were charging RM 25 for fried rice- four times the asking price at Rose Cabins. If you can bring yourself to walk a couple of kilometres to the park entrance, this makes a decent base, with extraordinary views, affordable food and rooms with all the basic amenities. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raymond W
Reviewed August 11, 2009

My partner and I were very excited for our long awaited vacation to Malaysia and we kicked it off in Kota Kinabalu Park. We stayed at the Rose Cabin for 3 nights and it was an absolute pleasure. Even before we arrived, my correspondence with the Cabin was very warm and helpful. The rustic and cozy room was comfortable and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. The kitchen staff was very friendly and served delicious meals. I would recommend the Rose to solo travellers, partners and families. It's a welcoming place to make your stay in Borneo a little sweeter. Thanks, Rose!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple