“Good stay”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was staying for two nights for work. The hotel room was very clean with free bottles of mineral water. The bed was comfortable and sufficient toiletries were provided.

Checking in was easy and quick. Service at reception was good. Staff were friendly with smiles. My colleague left his cell phone in the taxi but they brought it back to the hotel. I am impressed with the honesty of the driver. The staff at the reception were efficient and helpful too!

There are restaurants and a Philippine market near the hotel. The other plus point is it is very near the airport.

The only shortfall was wifi was not free but it was available for free access at the lobby.

It was a comfortable stay and I would like to be back.

• Stayed: October 2013
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Hello Light Cruiser,

Thank you for sharing the story about the honesty of the taxi driver and our associate, I am so pleased that the phone was returned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you travel to KK.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Look no further than this hotel for that well earned holiday that you have been promising yourself for some time.This hotel has it all,surround yourself in style and comfort,chill out in rooms that supply you with all your needs,a bathroom with more toiletries than you would find in your local pharmacy and for you keep fit addicts what better than to work out an your treadmill looking out to a view of the sea,it may even dull the pain a wee bit.Follow your work out with perhaps a sauna or a few lengths in the heated rooftop pool,then scan the hotel menu for some excellent food served by the staff who appear to have the best job in Malaysia,as they always have a smile when pampering you with all your needs.But hey,don't take my word for it,give it a try,even your bank balance remains in good shape after the experience.You may even return,my diary has already an entry for 2014.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband is a SPG member, and we have stayed at a number of similar properties. We booked a sea-view room, and indeed had a great view from level 6 over the markets and out to the islands. It is centrally located, which is great, but also means slow trips home at the end of tours as the KK peak hour traffic is insane.

Staff were friendly and generally helpful, however after leaving some obviously badly torn clothing in the bin we received an email checking we had meant to do this.... the return email was then addressed to the wrong person and made no sense at all.

The room was spacious, but significant signs of wear were apparent, with a few things in need of repair. A problem with the air conditioning meant that tho we were on a non-smoking floor the smoke came into the room. There were problems with the light switches and things did not turn off/on as they should. There was also a significant amount of mould in the bathroom.

We ordered some room service for dinner, which arrived in a timely manner and was fantastic! Breakfast was also good, but nowhere near eg Le Meridien in KL, but it is a smaller centre, so that was ok. Good cultural variety in general. However, when it came to a simple cereal based breakfast, the cereal, fruit and juice options were pretty limited, but we came to expect across Malaysia that getting a healthy cereal was probably an unrealistic expectation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mousey84
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Hello Mousey84,

Great feedback thank you specifically in regards to the selection of cereal at breakfast. I will discuss with our Executive Chef to see what alternatives are available in the market.

please accept my sincere apologies for the state of your guest room, I do hope that you advised one of our team during your stay so we were aware. If you did not I would appreciate it if you could email me - fiona.hagan@lemeridien.com so I could ensure that we address these specific points.

Thank you for sharing I do hope you will have the opportunity to come back again in the future.

Many thanks,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I had a club suite for a night and the space is exceptional - huge! Everything you could want and a sea view for the price of a normal basic room anywhere else. The bed was comfortable, clean and I had a good night's sleep. The room is slightly faded around the edges and is showing it's age though - it does feel a little like a '50's throwback

Service at the front desk was slow checking in and out especially as I arrived at 9.30. I booked and paid for a hotel car transfer and was told I would be picked up by the hotel Mercedes. Instead, I got a van taxi with a driver who didn't help with the luggage - I had to heft a 30kg bag into the back myself. Different driver and van on the return trip but at least the doorman lifted my luggage in.

Pros? Great value, good location, staff OK. Cons? Not many, but don't expect 4 Seasons :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

After a very early flight from Shanghai (we landed at 6.25am!) we arrived to the hotel during breakfast. Its a very busy hotel and so we had a bit of a wait to check in but wasn't a problem. Our room wasn't ready as we expected so we wandered around the local area looking for breakfast but couldn't fund anywhere open! We paid for breakfast at the hotel and it was one of the best breakfasts of the whole 5 week trip (although even here they couldn't manage to keep the food hot but dishes were replenished quickly).

We were able to get to our room for 11ish and although a little dated, it was huge and the bed was so comfy! Our toilet was leaking all over the floor so I queued back up at reception to mention it and haggled an upgrade to an executive room (for a price obviously) but it was spectacular! We had a suite on the 9th floor with a sea view. We had a lounge & dining area, separate toilet, bedroom, walk-in wardrobe & huge bathroom, plus complimentary chocolates and fruit basket! But by far the best was the club room - we were entitled to afternoon tea between 3 & 5pm (cakes, mini sandwiches etc), plus cocktail hour between 5 & 7 (unlimited free drinks and free buffet dinner which was lovely) and breakfast between 7 - 10. The club room is on the top floor and has great views of the harbour and local market. We just wished that the dinner lasted longer as it would have been nice to eat at about 8 but it was all taken promptly away at 7. Strongly recommend extending cocktail hour until 9pm.

The pool is great but a lot smaller than it looks on official website (not a problem though). I used the gym twice and it was fine albeit a little dated. The jacuzzi in the ladies changing room was lovely!

We paid £350 for 2 nights which included breakfast for 3 days (as e arrived so early) & dinner for two nights. It is expensive but it was the first two nights of our Borneo leg of the honeymoon so thought we would treat ourselves!

• Stayed: July 2013

Congratulations & thank you Maria for spending the start of your honeymoon with us!

I must admit I am a little concerned that you were originally given a room with a leaking toilet, though very pleased you ended up experiencing the Club Floor and enjoying the services our team provide. Our Culinary team have recently refreshed the afternoon tea service in the Club Lounge so I am thrilled that you mention this as a highlight, I will share this with them.

I do hope you had a fabulous remainder of your vacation in Borneo.

Best regards,

Fiona

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Spent 4 nights in this wonderful hotel right in the centre of kota kinabalu.

A little bit dated, but it is still alright.
Room is spacious and clean.
Bathroom got both tub and showers, although its kinda dated like I said, but water pressure is fine.
However the bed and pillows are kinda too soft in my opinion, took me 2 nights to get used to it.
Wifi is steady and the speed is acceptable.

Also used the pool, with great sea view.
However you cant get any sun before noon since its facing west.
So hit the pool after noon.
The gym is excellent. right next to the pool and also sea viewing.

The best part for this hotel is the location.
Just in the centre, close to everything.
The night market just across the street got decent seafood BBQ.
KK waterfront to the left is a very nice place to chill and have a drink or two after dinner.
Gaya street is also within working distance for shopping.
Centrepoint shopping mall behind the hotel got some nice money exchange shops in it with decent rate.
(much better than the airport.)

Although there are no beaches close by but still I like this hotel very much.
Not a bad choice for first timers to explore the city of kota kinabalu.

Room Tip: People say go for sea view mostly but I think the city view is just fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Hello Justin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed the hotel facilities and location. You are right to mention that the hotel is a little dated, though in 2014 we are taking steps to address this and will be refreshing the public areas and guest rooms with a renovation.

As you mention the city view rooms are fine, and you can always visit the pool deck for stunning views of the sea and sunsets.

Thank you for sharing your review, I hope to welcome you back to the Hotel one day soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We loved this hotel , and the service was as good as anywhere in the world. Stayed for 4 days and we had 4 days of rain. Didn't bother us, we took it all in from the Club lounge with amazing views. Stay in a club room and you get complimentry use of the lounge with cocktails in the evening.
When the sun came out we headed for the pool and also took advantage of the spa package for couples. The spa is small but the staff are skilled and although it wasn't cheap we felt out "Melt in Time" package was bliss from start to finish and didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: Club room was worth every cent. Get ocean view, it really is a lovely view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DrGribbles
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear DrGribbles,

So sorry to hear you had 4 days of rain, though it sounds like you still enjoyed your stay in KK!

I am absolutely delighted to read your feedback on the Spa and the treatment you had, I will share this with our partner who supplies the services to our guests in the hotel!

Thank you for sharing this with others.

Warm regards,