“Great Service”

Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Service”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in a Club Suite. Our rooms were massive The service throughout the hotel was very good. We didn't hear any noise from our room. We didn't smell any fish from the market and I hate the smell of fish. We had a very restful time in our 4 nights.

Room Tip: Suite worth every cent/ringet
2 Thank aliflem
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Hello aliflem,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your positive feedback from your stay with others. I am delighted that you found your stay restful and enjoyed the service from our associates.

Please let me know if you intend to visit Kota Kinabalu again in the future.

Fiona Hagan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here for 3 weeks while on a business trip to Kota Kinabalu. The hotel is right in the center of downtown. It's a business hotel, catering to the higher end of the business trade, not a resort hotel.

Although the hotel has a few strong points, the 12th floor business lounge and the inherent courtesy of the Malay employees being two examples, there are more problems here than a guest should experience when paying about USD $180 per night. For example:

1) Housekeeping standards are low, and some areas of the hotel - notably carpets - are very dirty.

2) The building itself is not properly maintained. My room had two major water leaks, one from the windows and one from the exterior wall. Both were bad enough to flood over one square meter of carpet at each end of the room.

3) Internet access is a disaster. The hotel is not buying sufficient bandwidth to meet guest needs, and the result is continual disconnections from the office VPN, Microsoft Exchange servers, etc. As if that wasn't bad enough, even if you buy the $30 a day breakfast and internet package, the hotel internet system cuts you off (logs you out) every 24 hours.

4) The property needs reinvestment. The mattress in my room was lumpy and past its 'best before' date. The carpet had large water stains on it, with mould growing along the baseboard. The televisions, which were probably super-modern when the hotel opened many years ago, are now small by comparison with what any other $180 a night hotel provides.

5) Walls between rooms are paper-thin. You can hear everything that is going on in the room next door - conversations, toilet flushes, grunts, moans, the works.

The owner/operator of this hotel needs to decide whether they want to fish or cut bait. It's long past the time when the above problems should have been addressed. If this hotel wants to stay competitive in the high end of the market, they need to recruit some expatriate staff to run housekeeping and engineering, and reinvest some money in refreshing what has become a tired and run-down property.

The Shangri-La Tanjung Aru is a much better choice for a traveller looking for a top quality hotel in Kota Kinabalu. It is a true resort, not a downtown business hotel. And, more important, the folks who operate the Shangri-La pay attention to the details.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms might suffer less from outside traffic noise.
2 Thank solotravellerCanada
Hello solotraveller.

Thank you for taking the time to share your very constructive feedback with us from your stay.

Since you have departed the hotel we have taken the necessary maintenance steps on the room during your stay. This did include additional waterproofing on the exterior of the building which ensures that the problem does not reoccur. This was an isolated incident and one that unfortunately we do not learn about until we experience heavy directional rains like we had during your stay.

We are in the early stages of planning a renovation of the hotel which will address some of the issues you mention related to carpet, facilities in the guest room etc. In the interim we have initiated a program in the hotel that is refreshing our existing rooms. I can only agree that we do not yet have the large flat screen TV's or other facilities as you may find in more recently built hotels but I can assure you we have plans to address this.

The internet is both a speed and connection issue which we are addressing, I am sorry that this was not done before your stay with us. We will be upgrading our speed to 30MB to address the speed concerns by the end of the year and at the same time installing a solution to the connection challenges.

I hope that you will try our hotel again if you visit Kota Kinabalu again in the future.

Fiona
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Upon arriving at the hotel, it took me about a 15 minute wait to check-in at the reception at the main lobby due to fairly laid back service. As I was in no rush, I just patiently waited for my turn to be served. I was then given our room keys and proceeded to my room #612. Upon opening the room door there strong smell of what was obviously cigarette smoke when I specifically made a reservation for a non-smoking room and it was a non-smoking floor. I called the hotel operator and tried to get the front desk on the line in an attempt to get my room changed but it was busy so I was told I would be called back. After a half hour wait, there was still no call back. I called the operator back and demanded that someone come to attend to me at the room immediately. After yet another ten minutes of waiting in the smoky smelling room I decided to head to the lobby myself to get the situation rectified. On the way out of the room, a friendly hotel employee came rushing to me and apologised for the delay and had for me new keys for a different room. The new room assigned to me is much better and also what I had expected to get when I first arrived at this 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Do not take room #612
Hello ganzri,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay and highlighting your non-smoking preference. We have introduced recently a charge of MYR 300 for any guests who is staying in a non-smoking room who chooses to smoke, to enable us to thoroughly clean the room. This is a very new introduction for us and it seems that from your feedback I need to further reinforce this with our housekeeping team.

I am terribly sorry as I know how disturbing this experience could be. I do hope that you will consider to stay with us again on your next visit to Kota Kinablau.

Melbounre, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel is in the centre of town, and is very convenient for shopping and using as a base to do some tours. We got an ocean view room and it was really nice to look out at the distant islands. the night market and fruit market is across the road and plenty of food outlets to choose from.
Upon entering, the lobby looks really nice and glam and service from the concierge to front desk is great. Unfortunately once you head up to your room, each floor has an old carpet mouldy smell (well at least level 9 did) and our room was full of ants around the mini bar & bathroom. We understand that this is a tropical location so you get ants etc. but I did not expect it in a major hotel. We stayed in other hotels in Malaysia and KK and none of those had ant problems. This meant we were unable to keep any food in the room outside of the fridge, even dropping a crumb would see a swarm of ants appear.
Furthermore, our pillows were stained yellow. We managed to get a hold of house keeping as they were cleaning our floor, they changed our pillows but they were unable to remove the ant problem.
on the plus side, the buffet breakfast was an amazing spread of tasty food, the pool was nice overlooking the ocean. You can book tours onsite, but its cheaper to find the tour companies within the shopping centres.
If you are heading out to dinner, and need a break from malay food, i recommend Grazie italian restaurant in Suria Sabah shopping mall, the chef is from Italy and he cooks like an italian mother would. The buffet dinner at the hotel cost RM90++, it visually looked nice, but when you could get some yummy chicken rice from the food court at the shopping mall for RM3, it made no sense to spend the money on the buffet.

Room Tip: Ensure you get an Ocean view room Room 921 has ants Level 9 carpet smells
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello Hashimoto,

Thank you for sharing your very honest feedback from your recent stay with us. I must sincerely apologise for your experience with Ants in your guest room. We have had a challenge in the past with Ants and we have been able to overcome this through working with our pest control specialist. Since your feedback we have spent days in this room with our specialist trying to recreate the same experience though it seems that for whatever reason we are not able.

I did want to assure you that we take this very seriously and will continue to monitor this room and those around it.

Please do let me know if you would like to come and visit us again in KK.

Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel has a wonderful location - across the road from the waterfront and near all of the markets. Our room had a great view of the islands and sunset. The hotel foyer is very olde worlde style with dark wood and chairs but it is comforting altho a few more chairs would be good as it is a very busy hotel. Staff are very attentive and the breakfast has a good and varied selection of food. Staff were quick to clean up the tables. Our room was quite spacious and the bathroom was a reasonable size but the shower continually leaked over the floor - maybe a difficult problem to fix as the water seems to seep out near the doorhinge even tho they have applied seals to most areas. The bed was very comfy. The pool was delighful as the water temperature was refreshing - not warm and soupy like many hotel pools in hot cities. There is a lovely view too from the pool area on the 2nd floor. A few minor complaints - my adaptor did not work and neither did any that the hotel supplied. Very strange as I had no problems in Kuching or at the Shangri La resort. The spa/massage prices were very expensive so I gave it a miss. There is a fee for use of the hotel's computer in the Business Centre. Otherwise the hotel is a top pick if you are staying in KK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hello Aussietraveller,

Thank you for taking your time to share the feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities and the service during your stay. You are right, this is an extremely busy time for Kota Kinabalu and sometimes the lobby seating is not enough or the other areas are a little more crowed than usual. Our team does try hard to ensure that this does not affect our guests and we will continue to look at how we can ensure the stay is comfortable for all.

At the same time, thank you for your feedback on the internet pricing in the business center. I will review this with my team to see if we can extend a little more flexibility for limited time use for our guests - thank you for raising this.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, I hope you will have the opportunity to visit Sabah again in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Have just returned to Perth following a six night stay at Le Meridien.(sept2-sept8).
From check in to check out everything about our stay was simply the nicest experience one could imagine.
We paid the extra to be accommodated in the Le Royal Club area which ensured a room with a beautiful view overlooking the sea,islands and the night markets.
We were also most appreciative of the access to the Club Lounge where we could wander on down during the day for a coffee, afternoon teas and of course the most enjoyable and very well catered for evening cocktails and canapes. Breakfasts were also excellent.
Room 1233 was just perfect. Housekeeping was first class.
There was one instance where we required attention for a non flushing loo. I had not had the phone hung up for about 4-5 minutes before a smiling maintainence man was at the door and fixed the problem immediately.
The staff at all times were helpful, courteous and very professional.
We loved the location as it is so central to all the town attractions.
Overall we can't find a single negative about our stay and will not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Certainly pay the extra and enjoy the views and facilities on floors 11 or 12.( Ocean facing).
Hello Geoff,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Sea view room and the offering in the Le Royal Club on the 12th floor. Our team do work hard to ensure that we care for our guests and are able to provide a quiet place away from home to enjoy Kota Kinabalu.

Please do come and visit us again soon, we have a 2nd flight on MAS from Perth from October so will be easier to plan holidays in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Not a fan of carpeted rooms. The room was clean and carpet was acceptably dry. No funny smell whatsoever.

One of the towel has stains??? The housekeeping staff exchanged and gave a clean towel.

The hotel gave 50% discount voucher for dinner buffet. The food was unacceptable for a 5 star hotel standard. The chinese fried rice was uncooked (uncooked white rice). The mango chocolate cake tasted weird/bad as if they used mangoes that had gone bad. The original buffet price is RM90++. The Executive chef's team should really look into this matter (food quality). They should taste the food before serving to paying guests!!!

3 Thank earosl
Fiona H, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello earosl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete feedback from your recent stay with us in Kota Kinabalu.

Whilst I am not pleased to read your feedback on the dinner buffet, thank you for sharing as it allows us an opportunity to review this with our culinary team.

Fiona