“Good service -- a pleasant stay!”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #3 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Le Meridien KK. It is one of the bigger hotels in KK. The service was great, and the staff were friendly and helpful (except for one waitress whom was very rude and not pleasant to guests - we didn't like her one bit!). Anyways, overall, a great stay and it's only about 20-30 minutes walk to Jesselton Point (where you set off to the nearby islands). The night market and the Fillipino Market is just across from the hotel (but beware of bugs and rats at night at these markets - we witnessed a few unwanted bodies. Eekk!).

Recommended hotel! :)

P.S. if budget is not a concern, then we'd suggest getting a room with the sea view rather than the cityview.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Boulden
There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and we enjoyed our stay. Check in was a little slow because there were quite a number of people checking in at the same time as us (the US Navy were in town and the hotel was quite full). Rooms were clean - although we specfically requested non-smoking but were placed on a smoking floor. (We booked four months in advance). On equiry we couldnt be moved and were told that this floor had been a smoking floor over a year ago but was not now? it still smelt badly of cigarette smoke - the room attendants came and sprayed deoderiser / neutraliser through the room which alleviated the problem for about a day. The lady at the tour desk was quite good and we went on the Mari Mari Cultural Village Tour which was great and the City Tour - which was not so good. Service in the downstairs lounge was particularly slow - they seemed to have plenty of staff but the staff seemed a bit disorganised. We still enjoyed our stay and the breakfast was fine, beds were comfortable and showers were good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

With a 5 star property it is rare for a review to go wrong on the service and experience. It is a standard disclaimer that I need to put with every 5 star property that I review.

Having said that, there were only 2 points on which I found the service shortcoming. I am a vegetarian and I like to have my tea in a particular way. Having passed the written instructions well to the staff, I always got the tea:
a.) Either 1 hour or more late
b.) Not done to instructions
c.) Both!

The restaurant I felt was understaffed and that showed with water not being served properly. or the glass not being filled up.

But those were the only few minor things.

Besides this, the property is fabulous and the staff does try to help you out. My request to be put up on the 10th Floor from my allocated 4th floor was attended to in a very prompt manner. The view of the sea is beautiful. I wish they had some facility for some sports like Tennis etc though.

I can not fail to mention Mr. Kenneth, the manager at the Restaurant, who went out of his way to help me out with vegetarian food.

I spent 7 days in the hotel and loved the experience. SPG rooms, since I am a SPG member, were considerably bigger than normal ones and I loved it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AnoopSaxena
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We spent 4 days at the Medidien Kota Kinabalu. The hotel is situated on the waterfront near the night market. There is a great view over the sea and sunset from the pool.
The rooms were comfortable, clear and spacious.
All the staff was very friendly. The pool - even not so big - was very pleasant.
The breakfast was very generous and tasty.
The only negative point is the expensive price of the wifi access in the rooms. For an hotel of this class, the wifi access should be free in the rooms. Nevertheless, there was a free internet access in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Yokozuna_r
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last week and were quite impressed by the friendliness of the staff and the management's endeavour to create such a caring environment for their guests.
It was a pleasure to stay there for six days and enjoy what the hotel and Kota Kinabulu have to offer.
I will definately be returning to this hotel and Four Points its sister hotel in Sandakan as they both place their customers needs in the forefront of their mission statement.

Room Tip: Always choose a Sea View Room and go to Hight Tea on the Weekend
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Having stayed at other Le Meridien properties, my daughter was disappointed in this one. I thought it like other older chain hotels...Hyatt, etc. The staff could have been more helpful, although no one was rude. The charges for phone calls were outrageous! international call $10 US for first minute and climbing every minute so find another option. Did not eat in the restaurant as we really like the Thai restaurant on the waterfront across the way. Close to shopping.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Very nice hotel, big and clean, only problem is the stench of fish smell coming from the Filipino market just across the road. The Circle Coffee House at the lobby - ordered chicken rice, no chicken rice smell or taste, chicken in tiny bits - not recommended, nasi lemak - not fragrant, only have a few pieces of cucumber, peanuts and a miserable piece of chicken, also not recommended but the cantonese fried kuay teow and the kampong nasi goreng was commendable, service was a bit slow. For the price I paid, I would say this hotel is recommendable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends