“Very smart and functional hotel”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed January 18, 2008

A smart, modern and functional two year old hotel in the centre of Kota Kinabalu pretty well sums up this place, with the clientele being a mix of tourists and business people. Service is excellent, rooms are comfortable, complete with marble bathrooms and flat screen TV’s and otherwise well appointed. It sits directly opposite the fishing port and adjacent to the main hopping plaza and is less than a ten minute drive from the airport for which the standard 20 Rinngit charge (£3.20) applies. Outside it can be a bit smelly due to the port but this never ingresses into the hotel. The locals are amazingly friendly and I consider Kota Kinabalu to be very safe, subject to the usual precautions.

There are no outside facilities, i.e. pool, sunbeds etc, nor are there any in the vicinity which means that’s it’s not really a place to spend a holiday in its own right. It is however a great place to explore KK from and use as a stopover if you’re visiting Sandakan or Lahad Datu or are otherwise just spending a couple of nights here, and for those purposes I highly recommend it.

The Port View restaurant which sits almost opposite is outstanding and highly recommended if you have the opportunity; totally frequented by locals and only serves seafood which you pick from the various tanks!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank NorthamptonHarry

Reviewed January 8, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for one night and did not regret my choice. It is about 2 min from the CentrePoint mall, right across the street from the night market and, generally speaking, very conveniently located. The room I stayed in on the 10th floor was nicely furnished, had sea views and very quiet.The hotel staff went out of their way to make sure you had a pleasant stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank bremen08
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Staying at the Le Meridien makes a lot of sense. It's bang in the centre of the city, just 15 minutes from the airport.

Hence, if you're the kind who loves the local sights, sounds and smells, this place is for you. (If not, the Shangri La Rasa Ria is ideal, albeit totally laid back).

Back to the Le Meridien : our Deluxe Room was spectacular. It was a mile long (!) and worth the view alone.

The Negatives : the hotel seems to face a severe towel shortage. Every evening we needed to call housekeeping to claim fresh towels as the earlier set was never replaced.

Also, for some strange reason you can hear the sounds and voices from the adjoining rooms. Either that or the place is spooked !

The breakfast was adequate.

The big plus point is the location. If you're a foodie and love oriental cuisine, head for the " TWIN SKY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT " , just 2 blocks behind the hotel, at SEDCO Complex. It's an open air feast. What's more Ann Lin (Tel : 016801 - 0868) the Maitre De' is a delightful caricature. Serving you with style and panache. Plenty of seafood restaurants opposite the hotel, but 'TWIN SKY' was a very special and totally Value For Money.

In Kota Kinablu, don't miss the island tour. Specifically, the 'Ocean floor Walk' is a must do.

The Orang Utan (at the Rasa Ria) and the Probiscus Monkey tour were good, but not spectacular.

Overall, KK is a relaxed and refreshing diversion from KL (2 hours by flight). Great for those who've already done Genting (overhyped), Langkawi (so-so) and Penang (done to death).

All the best.........

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank woody2310
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I frequently stay in hotels in Malaysia and all over the world when I attend conferences. After a while, one hotel tend to look like another. The Le Meredian in KK is no exception. From the outside and the hotel lobby, the hotel looked very ordinary. But the room I stayed was spacious -- for this, I was pleasantly surprised. I was given their Preferred Guest room, so I am not sure how different, if at all, my room was from other "normal" rooms. The bathroom was large as well. The room also had a Plasma TV and DVD player -- something not normally found in other hotels. I also had free (and very fast) internet connection (via LAN not WiFi, which is a good thing) in my room.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay here, and I recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank cbsteh
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Booked with ratestogo.com for US $100 for 5 nights with breakfast.
Deluxe room with partial water view on level 5.

Hotel staff are fantastic, going out of their way on all occasions. My partner was ill, and they delivered some breakfast to our room when I went down to breakfast on my own.

Being based in the city, it feels more like a business hotel, so we only encountered children on one day as it was a public holiday. So we had the pool/steam/spa areas to ourselves. Our stay was just to relax as we are on an extended trip ( 3 months so far) When we stayed in KK a few years ago at the Shangra La, alhough beautiful, it was full of loud children. You do get plane noise in the pool area though, although never heard it in our room, but could see them fly over.

I would suggest requesting a room that does not have a connecting door. We were woken up on 2 mornings by our neighbours 5am wake up call.

Cant fault the room and hotel facilites, deserves its 5 star rating.

Found the food to be average, if not below, and the same boring menu in all outlets.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I have just returned from my short trip to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I must say, I did not regret choosing Le Meridien. I found the hotel at a very convenient location. Moreover, the service was truly excellent. The concierge, reception, bellboy, and those working in The Circle restaurant were all really courteous. I found the room excellent. Everything I need was in there. Spend the evening at the poolside and you will get to see an amazing sunset. Of course, that depends largely on the weather too. I was fortunate to catch a gorgeous sunset. I was in a deluxe seaview room. Buffet breakfast was allright. I suppose I would have preferred having more choices. I am also pleased that they accomodated for my request to convert the value I paid for, to breakfast in my room as opposed to buffet breakfast on my date of departure since my flight was very early in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank mychng
Reviewed October 9, 2007

we stayed at Le Meridien on Sept 26 for 1 night, before heading to Nexus.

we had a partial seaview standard room. since we only spend one night there, there wasnt really much for me to rate this hotel, except for one thing. The WALLS!!!!!!

either the walls between rooms are thin or they are hallow!!!! all night long, we here guests on the floor above walking, hear the voices of the guests of the adjacent room talking. at around 3 am, my wife of awoke by the guest next to us throwing up in their bathroom!!

i just think that this is absolutely unacceptable in a hotel! we pay money to get a well night sleep.

other than that, everything seemed all right, it is a nice city hotel, its new and very clean.

but I will never come back to this hotel, sorry

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business