“Best Hotel I have ever stayed at!!!!!”

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed May 3, 2011

After reading many positive reviews on trip advisor my friend & I decided to stay at the Le Meridien & we were not disappointed. We had just climbed Mt.Kinabalu & wanted to stay somewhere nice especally as it was my girlfriends 50th. We stayed in a deluxe room facing the harbour & wet market & we had a upgrade to the club lounge.
The hotel staff could not have been more attentive. The Hotel is very clean ,awesome location, lovely pool & warm soaking spa for those tired muscles. I can't say enough about the staff They made us feel very special!! We loved staying here & we loved the club lounge. I will be back but this time with my husband!!!!. Thankyou LeMeridien it was worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2011

Thank you for reading other reviews allowing to choose to stay with us. Happy to know that the service was of a good standard. Do let me know if you would like me to help you in convincing your husband it should be KK for the next holiday on the calendar.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stay in the Suites overlooking the city view. The room is specious and roomy. The layout design of the room however, is a bit odd. The TV is placed next to the window and always have the glaring lights reflected on. The sofa is half-adjacent to the TV when it should be directly in front of TV. The dining table is in the middle of the room and is the first thing you see after open the door. We just think that the funny layout makes the Suite not as elegant and functional as it should be.

The service here is exceptional. Location is great. Across the street is market. There's shopping mall in walking distance. The local restaurant in the corner has the best red-bean steam bun I ever had.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

Thank you for your feed-back on room layout. Something I did not think about but definitely will look into it in the next days to see if we can improve the functionality.
I am happy to know that you found our service of a high level that is reassuring.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

We had rooms overlooking the harbour and the view was so interesting with all the little boats zipping around all day. The sunsets were amazing - we watched a couple from our room (and a couple more while having a beer beside the water).

We found the staff unfailingly pleasant and professional to deal with and appreciated their help.

The breakfasts were great and our son and his girlfriend who'd been backpacking around Europe and Asia for the past 6 months really appreciated the great start to the day. And my husband, who'd just walked up Mt Kinabalu, enjoyed a few days of being spoilt.

And of course having the night market right below also made the view from the picture window so fascinating - and what a great place to eat dinner! Eating further down on the wharf is also good, cooler but a lot pricier.

Thanks Le Meridien, we now have some great memories of time spent with our son and his girlfriend in Kota Kinabalu in your very nice hotel.

(Only small niggle - why no free wifi in rooms when so many much cheaper hotels can offer this?)

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank spanishkiwi
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2011

Hello thank you so much for your great feed-back. We are delighted that we have contributed in so many memorable moments for your family. The internet connection remains free in public areas but at this stage chargeable in guest rooms to be consistent across our sister hotels within Starwood Hotels & Resorts. I am sure in the future this could change however we have no indication yet on when that will be.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Le Meridien provides a wonderful holiday experience for those visiting Kota Kinabalu. From the minute you arrive, the service provided is of an excellent standard and nothing is too much trouble. The staff attend to every need in a genuine and friendly manner that enhanced our holiday. Inviting guests to the cocktail party around the pool was a nice touch and all meals we had were really good and reasonably priced. I would really recommend this hotel and the sunsets are fantastic from the pool deck. A memorable and happy stay at Le Meridien.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Hello thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience. I am particularly pleased to know you appreciate the invitation to our weekly get together with all of our guests. The perfect opportunity for our team to mingle with guests and obtain precious feed-backs on how we can improve further. Must admit on a good day the sunsets are very inspiring.
Till next visit
alex

Reviewed April 27, 2011

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu has the best coffee in town! I simply love the cafe latte & cappucino!! (by illy coffee). Nicely brewed and presented by well-trained baristas, thumbs up!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Wonderful to read that you enjoy the Illy coffee. All Meridien hotels around the world have been partnering up with Illy to provide the best coffee experience and it is refreshing to see that our guests appreciate it.
Till next cappuccino

Reviewed April 27, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel numerous times since 2007 or 2008, both on corporate account and personal account. More than once, I arrived at this hotel, after 2 pm, and the room was not ready. This despite having the room booked a few days in advance, by travel agent with confirmation by credit card.

I've emailed the hotel management several times, and gotten their responses.

They changed the supplier of the lamb chop, and it is now better or up to standard.

I had several power failures during my numerous stays (I think more than 2 times). I am not sure if this is a KK-wide or Sabah-wide problem rather than the problem with the hotel itself. Once, I checked in at night, a blackout occured. I searched for the torchlight in the cabinet, found it but it was not functioning as its batteries has run out.

Truth be told, this is the only hotel in KK where I had some difficulty in getting my room ready for checking in even after 2 pm. It would be acceptable if it is some run-down B&B but this is a 5-star (supposedly) brand.

To me, Le Meridien KK is just another branded hotel with its management trying to do its best to compete in the tough hospitality industry. Sometimes they failed, sometimes they get rude guests who seems can be pleased, sometimes their guests complained in their blogs or in tripadvisor. They have improved somewhat. It is not really a bad hotel but not that exceptionally good either.

Will I return to this hotel? Only if absolutely necessary.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Hanafi A

Definitely disappointing to read that we have not been able to reassure you of how much we strive to ensure all of our guests are well taken care and they are happy to return.
Not having your room ready upon your afternoon arrival is definitely not acceptable and something which I can reassure you is not normally happening. It is unfortunate that you have experienced that situation more than once and I would like to personally ensure it will never happen again. Do contact me via the hotel email adresses so that I can keep the communication going with you and together with the team prove to you on your next visit that we really would like you to return.
I hope to hear from you one of these days.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Just want to say thanx to le meridien in kk for a fantastic stay.
Very nice rooms with a amazing view over the sea. Incredible service and a very healthy and big breakfast.Perfect start of the day.
A special thanx to Rodney for helping us finding the suplier of the chairs in the lobby,wich we tried to buy:-)
And not to forget.the beautiful flowers put in the room for me to surprise my girlfriend with a proposel.
can strongely recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Nice to read you had a good time and delighted that we had a part in the proposal to your girlfriend I hope the outcome is a positive one. Will make sure Rodney is recognized for his efforts.
Looking forward to welcoming you back maybe on honeymoon ?
Regards,
alex

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
#6 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!