“Clean but no swiming pool”
Review of Hotel Grandis

Hotel Grandis
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Clean but no swiming pool”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to business hotel. Room is new and good receiption. But swimming pool was underconstruction. Big shopping mall is just 10sec. Walking distance. Starbucks, sushi restaurant and many newly opened store is all very near. Around 5 min. Walking distance from Jesselton point. I chose to stay 1 night for air flight wait and i may choose again if i come again. But breakfast is not include so someone looking upto morning might less interest cause many similiar hotel provide bteakfast.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hotel-Grandis, General Manager at Hotel Grandis, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for the review. Grandis is certainly in the centre of all major activities in the city. But most of all we want to make you our center of attention. We will continue to improve and provide the expected service that you desire. Please note that breakfast is provided but and we leave it as an option. Swimming pool is in progress and in just a few short weeks, it will be ready.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Very nice hotel, next door to Jesselton Point and a great value. During our visit to Sabah, we ended up staying here on 3 different occasions.
Being a new hotel, there were a couple of glitches that were handled in good order by the staff.
They have a pretty good breakfast buffet and our room(s) had a wonderful view. The roof bar and pool were still under construction, but will be a huge draw when completed.

Definitely will be staying here on our next visit to KK.

Room Tip: The "Bay View" room avoids the evening sun and offers a nice view to the north.
2 Thank ChrisandHolli
Hotel-Grandis, General Manager at Hotel Grandis, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for the review. We pride ourselves in our great product and services. We apologize for the short coming but rest assure we are not accepting excuses for being new or inexperienced. We are all keen to learn and improve so that our guests will get what they deserve and expected from us. We hope that all facilities will be ready in a few weeks time. Thank you for your encouragement and motivation. Hope to welcome you back soon.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel ... the newness of the facility, the ambience of the room, the décor was tasteful. I was supposed to get a room with king-sized bed but it was not ready when I checked in. I opted for whatever was available and got a nice room with twin beds instead. It was on a high floor and had a very nice sea view! I had a couple of very restful sleep ... good way to recover from the trek up Mt Kinabalu! The bathroom was not quite luxurious but was generously equipped with a bath (with shower option) and another standard shower-cum overhead "natural rain" shower as well, giving a nice experience of showering during a tropical rainfall Aside from the sheer sense of relaxation & comfort in the room, the wifi worked perfectly throughout the premises.

The location was great - the hotel was immediately adjacent to the Suria Sabah mall, a nice new mall which I have reviewed separately. Convenient for some quick shopping or getting a quick bite. In fact, being at the "head" of Jalan Tun Fuad Stephen, it was easy to get to Wisma Merdeka, the Harbour Walk, Central Market and the Jalan Gaya eateries & other accommodation options there.

Given half a chance, I would certainly want a return visit to this hotel and check out the in-house restaurant, piano lounge & the uncompleted poolside bar.

Room Tip: Request a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review. We are motivated and strive to offer our best. Hope to welcome you back to this beautiful city of Kota Kinabalu in the near future.
Klang, Selangor
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Was told that this is a fairly new hotel and it sure looks it. The hotel is conveniently located next to the Jesselton Point ferry station and linked to a shopping mall so it was easy to look for food and stuffs is really easy if you don't have a car to get around. The room interior is tastefully designed and the bathroom design is spacious and well thought of. If you're lucky you could get a room with the view of the sea. If you're not so lucky, like myself, you get a room overlooking a construction site of a new waterfront property. If I had to nitpick, perhaps the water pressure was a little low and a few more tv channels wouldn't hurt. Also, the pillow was a little soft. But that really is nitpicking. Overall, a recommended hotel to stay in KK.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank attw
Hotel-Grandis, General Manager at Hotel Grandis, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for the review. We are happy that you are satisfied with your stay. Please note that we have Bay view rooms as well as Sea view rooms which are priced slightly higher. As the number of Sea view rooms are limited, we advise you to book early. We have taken note of the water pressure issue and will look into it. We do provide two types of pillow (soft and hard) in each room. However, foam pillow is on request basis. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Our stay at hotel Grandis was marred only by the check in process Arrived at 5.00pm to be told sorry your room is not ready I will find you another room Please wait a while maybe 10 mins as the replacement room is also not ready This hiccup meant we had a room on 2 Nd floor instead of the 6th and reduced the bay views to a building site The room was spacious comfortable and pleasantly decorated Great water pressure in the shower fierce air con difficult to regulate
Location within Suria Sabah shopping mall is excellent and within walking distance to the jetty for boats to the island and Gaya Street restaurants Beds and pillow comfort excellent
Hotel is still under construction Gym and pool not yet available

Room Tip: Perhaps call ahead to ensure room readiness Lower floors bay views are obscured
2 Thank Caffeine22
Hotel-Grandis, General Manager at Hotel Grandis, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for the review. We have taken note of the area for improvement. We will continue to train and improve to deliver the service of highest standard that we wish to deliver.
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was aware that this hotel is new and inevitably there will be kinks that need ironing out - but my stay here was very very enjoyable. Staff were friendly, service was good but best of all the rooms were gorgeous. So much more spacious than I expected, perfectly clean and just felt incredibly comfortable - just as expected of a 4-star hotel. The bathroom is lovely and big as well, love the shower and the way it's sort of separated from the rest of the bathroom together with the bathtub behind a glass door.

Location wise this hotel can't get any more perfect. Right next to the most popular mall in Kota Kinabalu (Suria Sabah) where you can get your shopping done and even catch a movie etc, and the hotel is also near the city centre where lots of excitement happens especially now since its Ramadan month (food stalls galore!!!). Other than that it is literally a 4 minute walk away from Jesselton Point where you can catch a boat to the famous islands. How convenient is that?

I also tried out Rosea Cafe and the piano lounge in the hotel. It's a very pretty restaurant and lounge - very comfortable and nicely set up. I had the buffet priced at RM65 and I REALLY enjoyed the food. Good and tasty selection of seafood, meat and excellent desserts. Will I be back to eat there? Oh yes.

Once the rooftop pool and bar is open and they sort out all the issues they might be facing as a new hotel, Grandis has the potential to definitely become the top hotel in KK city centre owing to its beautiful rooms with beautiful views and its perfect location. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KKgirl93
Thank you for the great review. We are so encouraged and motivated. All our staff are proud to be able to deliver the highest standard of service and product. The hotel will be completed in about a month time when we will be able to offer even more facilities.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I accepted that the hotel wasn't quite complete when I booked, although I didn't see until after I had paid that the pool and skybar were not yet open.

Checkin took 30 minutes and I was the only person there. This seemed to be because the staff was new and trying to remember all the steps. That is still ok, but a smile, an acknowledgement of the time it took, a "thank you for your patience" would have been better than 30 minutes of being ignored while she figured it out (the superviser was watching, but let her learn - I have no problems with this, just the time taken and lack of interest in me).

I chose to carry my bag up - no problem. Until I reached a room being cleaned. Between the cart and the vacuum, the whole (quite wide) corridor was blocked. Training is clearly needed.

My room was big.....and hot and smelly. Surfaces had not been cleaned - glass rings, and sticky marks were clearly visible on the bedside table and desk. I was given 2 single beds, not a king :( Between the beds had not been vacuumed. More training needed! The smell was from bug spraying, there was a note. I had only been given one door card, so every time I went out, the air con turned off, increasing the smell.

Wifi was unreliable, cutting out frequently, needing login each time. It cut out about 5 times an hour. They changed the login (not the password, but the login) at 3pm without comminicating - huh? I was halfway through booking my onwards travel. Not happy to go and ask why wifi wasnt letting me on. It still dropped out just as frequently.

The room info suggested there should be bathroom scales and a dvd player that were missing from my room. There are 10 television stations, 3 in english (news, sport and one movie station - not helpful when insomnia strikes at 2am).

There is a tour desk. The guy spent most of his time playing solitaire. I went to look - there wasnt any information in English (it seemed to be in Japanese or Korean - not even arabic script!). He wasn't great at explaining what he had. I made my own plans.

The things I think were missing were a letter from the manager re what is still being worked on (all the info in the room indicated it was open, which is not accurate), a feedback form (my unhappiness stems from issues that can be resolved with training), communication and for staff to think from a guest point of view to get service in place.

Good points - location and view, but service really isnt up to par. Oh, and despite the duty manager having a desk in the foyer, I didn't see anyone there. I wouldn't have 'complained' but would happiky give feedback.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Driftergirl
Thank you for the review. With disappointment and humility, we accept this as a great learning lesson. We acknowledge that training is to be continuous and that we will improve and deliver the highest standard that we have promised.