“An exquisite jem!”

Ranked #10 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Yorkshire
“An exquisite jem!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Set in a central location in KK, it is an ideal base for sightseeing. Although we wanted to stay for 3 nights we were only able to book for 2nights - it was otherwise fully booked up. We feel we had one of the best rooms in the hotel-room 205- set on the corner overlooing the road junction, underneath the main hotel sign. The room was spacious with 2 armchairs and a very comfortable bed - perfect after plenty of walking, sightseeing and a boat trip! Together with daily maid service, complimentary bath robes, daily newspaper and bottled water, the quality of the room and service was perfect. The staff were very helpful and friendly and on arrival knew our names before we even said it! The price was very competitive - we booked room only which was great as we could then choose what breakfast we wanted in the cafe/restaurant attached to the hotel. The hotel is well worth checking out if you intend staying in KK and we wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: book early to avoid disappointment. although we booked very late we had a great room overlooking the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've always walked past this hotel with my family and before we got married, my husband, but have never thought of staying there. We always thought it was an expensive hotel! And when I was young, dining here was a luxury. But I was proven wrong recently when I needed a hotel to stay whilst attending a seminar with my husband, and since Capital Hotel (My usual hotel, which is nearby) was apparently full, I checked this one. I was pleasantly surprised that the price was actually similar to Capital Hotel! I have to say, we were impressed. The service was quite good and friendly, but the room especially was lovely. Although this is an "old" hotel, the room is clean and well-maintained with almost all the comforts and amenities of a higher-class hotel. It may be a bit on the smaller side, but not cramped at all. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were feather and there was an extra blanket! And when we had problems with a table lamp and a power point we were quickly assisted with no grumpiness or black faces. Would definitely stay here again if I could! Location is faultless- right in front is Gaya Street, with the famous market on Sunday morning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank yukaeshi
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We are frequent visitors to KK and have always wanted to try this hotel especially after reading the good reviews. Were we disappointed. The staff at the front desk are not well trained and are inexperienced. Our bedroom was small with old dusty furnishing and the bathroom poorly lit with dirty vents and mouldy grout. Housekeeping is pretty shabby. On my way out one afternoon, they were sorting out dirty linen and towels on the carpet in the corridor right in front of the lift! I had to step over them to get in the lift. It may have been a grand hotel once but with poor management, it is not nice anymore. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank maclinksgoer
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Jesselton Hotel for 5 nights over New Year in the Junior Suite (I booked late and this was their last available room). The price was not cheap but reasonable for what I got, two nice rooms and a ballroom sized bathroom - really nice and perfect to relax.
All was clean and well maintained even though it is obviously not a modern hotel.
Free WiFi was available throughout the hotel, but a couple of nights it was not working.
Reception service is really good, unfortunately they loose points for service at breakfast in the restaurant. I was asking myself how the same people could be quick and friendly one morning and sleepwalking the next?!?
The location is great, in walking distance to everything in KK, with some restaurants right down Gaya street.
Don't be surprised on Sunday mornings to find the famous Gaya street market right in front of the hotel - a nice extra touch!
Apart from the hick-ups at breakfast it was just comfortable and the perfect place for my New Year's escape.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 18, 2013

One of my earlier trips I was strolling along Gaya Street and I walked past this boutique hotel. I thought "Wow, where's this come from? " I knew I had to give it a try when the time is right.

On the day I was about to check into this hotel, a family member of mine told me she once came to this hotel 50 years ago. And how she still remembered the best food in town this place had to offer then... (it still does, actually).

This hotel has been around in Kota Kinabalu for some time - it's one of the earliest, and one of the well maintained boutique hotels I had come across. Located on one end of the Gaya Street, the hotel wasn't too crowded in the lobby (I think it has to do with the prices they charged.) It's right in the center of everything, literally, but without all the noise.

Plenty of eateries options. Gaya Street offers plenty of time-proven local eateries and i found many foreign faces joining the crowd.

The staffs are professional enough. I had seen friendlier staffs elsewhere but since I wasn't there to make friends, that's okay with me. They are courteous, and I will leave it as that.

As for the room and layout, I liked the simplicity and the Borneo feel and touches. It met my expectation - and exceeded some more.

The hotel Italian restaurant is a must-try. Surely you can get more authentic italian food elsewhere, but probably not more so in the Borneo area. I was told the Chinese restaurant in the hotel is quite good, but I didn't get to try it.

Getting a booking at this hotel can be challenging. But if you do get the option to book this hotel, and if you want to stay in the town area, I will not hesitate to recommend this hotel. In fact, I knew I would be coming back to this hotel whenever I can get a booking that fits my budget.

Room Tip: Book early. Get a higher floor if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank po-hk
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

this was a great place to stay, right in the middle of the city. the sunday market happens right outside the front door - all hussle and bustle and the hotel is an oasis of calm. the rooms were really nice and while the price was a little high for our budget -it was good value.

Room Tip: stay away from the lift and back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed here one night as we were off to sandankan early next morning. The foyer was welcoming and the staff were helpful. Our room was very comfortable and although close to the lift and on the street side it was very noise proof. This was well priced and suited our needs as we were moving on the next day. The restaurant looked nie but didn't have a chance to eat breakfast here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family