“Fantastic stay - borneo room, garden view” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai

Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Ranked #12 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Woodbury Salterton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay - borneo room, garden view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2007

Booked through Travelbag who were fantastic and gave us a great deal.

When we arrived at Nexus we were greeted with a chilled wet towel and were checked in within just a few minutes. We were then wisked off in a buggy to our room.

The room was beautiful and I couldn't find a fault with it. We had a garden view over a lake and were on the ground floor which just went straight out onto the garden. Even though borneo has a lot of bugs we very rarely got any in our room or even on our terrace. The bed and bathroom were massive.

Little extras which made it 5 star for me were : face cloths, dressing gowns, slippers & flipflops, hairdryer, iron & ironing board, orchids in the room.

The resort itself is huge but personally we didn't mind the 3 minute walk to the main building. There is much wildlife around the park including some rather large Monitor Lizards who regularly get fed by guests, ducks and many birds.

The staff were all fantastic and so friendly. We were made to feel very special and welcome. We can recommend the dim sum for lunch at Nobel House. Also loved cocktails at happy hour at the sunset bar. Beer can be expensive but the happy hours are cool. Happy Hour is from 5-7 but it goes on until 9pm in Darling Darling.

Things to do:
* The lagoon park was fun but beware of the mossies!
* We also hired a car for a few days which possibly wasn't cost effective but we had such great fun exploring Sabah. Roads and signs are good.
* Visited Shangri La, Rasa Ria to see the orangutans which I loved. Take long trousers and bug spray.
* Took the bus to KK. Exciting and good for stocking up on a few essentials but it was nice to get back to the peace and quite of Nexus.

Negatives: Buffets are quite expensive, ask for the menu even if they say they don't have one. Buffet at the Kingfisher was 85RM when a three course meal from the menu would only cost about 45RM.

Other serious Negative was Nobel House sold Shark Fin. I wont go into it here but if you want to read further about Shark Finning please read... [---]

• Liked — Beautiful setting and fantastic room.
  • Disliked — Shark fin for sale at Nobel House
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Gingeru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2007

This place was wonderful, almost nothing bad to say. The value for money can't be beat here, almost anywhere. Something similar in Hawaii would easily cost 3 or 4 times the price. The room was nice, just a slight hint of wear, the food at the hotel was great and reasonably priced, and wide choices. Lots of buffets for all meals, in several locations to choose from. Lots of activities, some of them free, like the morning bike riding tour. The grass gardens between the hotel and the beach were HUGE, so you could really find a nice quiet space away from others with no problem.

The hotel is isolated, so what I recommend is to stay in downtown Kota Kinabalu to do sightseeing tours your first few days, in a reasonably priced hotel, THEN move to some place like the Nexus to relax and stay put.

There were lots of internet stations, activities of all kinds like painting, lessons, culture things, kayaking, renting beach equipment etc., and lots of entertainment at night in the clubs, restaurants etc. The Sunset Beach Bar was nice and really popular, right on the beach. They had great pizzas there, and a happy hour for the sunset, and live entertainment too.

I liked all of the buffets, which had great selections and were priced fairly. There are about six shops, including a large convenience store right there.

My only slight complaint is that when walking around the hotel, they need to hide big roof air conditioners with partians, or plants or walls... not expensive or difficult to do, and would make you feel more like in an isolated exotic place.

The taxis from the hotel were a bit expensive, but you really have no choice or alternative. The views from the Ocean tower rooms to the beach were beautiful.

The staff were very polite here. Everyone that walked by, really everyone, every time, says "hello" or "good morning", and gives a nice smile.

I highly recommend this place.

• Liked — Beautiful setting for a hotel, great value for money
  • Disliked — No strong negatives here
  • Stayed February 2007
10 Thank pattayainsider
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

A fabulous location for a getaway from it all holiday. Hotel large with excellent facilities including 5 restaurants with nightly entertainment (the Sunset bar was our favourite!) Despite warnings of sand flies, we had no problems. Massive beach with safe swimming. Rooms in Borneo wing were beautiful in traditional design with large modern bathrooms. The only negative in an otherwise perfect holiday was the large numbers of conference delegates that tended to take over the hotel's communal facilities (particularly the swimming pool). At times we felt like the minority tourist in a resort that clearly caters well for large conferences.

Stayed November 2006
8 Thank Honeymooners06Irl
Selangor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at Nexus for 3 nights in mid-Aug 2006 and had one of our best times there. The resort itself is situated away from the 'hustle and bustle' of KK amidst acres of rainforest, golf courses adn beaches. It was such a romantic setting. We stayed in the Borneo-wing and our room was large, clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated in traditional Muslim style. The bathroom and shower was big and bright.

All the restaurants were quite cosy. We expecially liked the casual and relaxed environment of the King Fisher. It was so relaxing eating breakfast and having a lovely chat next to the pond and listening to the birds and water from the fountain.

The staff at the resort were friendly at all times. The one thing that we enjoyed most (other than our own company) is the massage by the beach. It was so relaxing that we actually dozed off. Unbelievable !

The swimming pool was nice and clean and was a great place to cool off. During the night, it's highly recommended to relax at the bar and listen to the singers. Unfortunately, our stay was not long enough for us to enjoy the nice and calm ocean.

I would highly recommend this resort for anyone who wants a relaxing time and a 5* comfort. (This place helps to 'cement' our love ofr one another).

• Liked — nice surrounding
  • Disliked — asked for newspaper but not delivered. Internet should be free.
  • Tips/Secrets — ensure trip is more than 3 days.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank A&A=soulmates
Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2006

We hadn't planned on staying at the Nexus Hotel, but we were truly glad we did. The staff in general are very friendly and helpful and make a point of remembering your name, especially in the Sunset bar. The hotel is set amongst the most beautiful grounds with the beach at the back and golf course at the front. The beach was very clean, but not the prettiest we have seen, we did play golf on this magnificent course, fabulous flora and fauna and Mt Kinabalu as a backdrop - fantastic! Clubs can be hired (including ladies) We advise teeing off as early as you can ie. 6.30am as it get's very hot and humid later on. We stayed in the Borneo Villas with a seaview but which also had a lovely view of the lake and bridge and were thrilled to see a monitor lizzard on one occasion. The room we couldn't fault and were impressed with the walk in power shower and the cleanliness. The environmental policy of requesting that a card be placed on the bed if guests wished the bedding to be changed, we thought was an excellent idea. We did have problems with the safe in the room, but that was down to user error more than anything else and after reporting it to reception a member of staff was there in minutes to rectify the problem. The Restaurants in the Hotel were excellent, with a fantastice choice. We do not as a rule use Hotel restaurants, as we like to experiment with local restaurants, but the problem is, there's no where else of any standard to eat in the area. We were recommended to a Fish Restaurant (a short taxi ride away), but it was very poor, with no menu to choose from but a 'pick your own' fish out ot the tank! Unless you like crab claws without any crabmeat and warm beer/wine, served on plastic tables, then stick to the hotel. The Penyu has a great Indian themed buffet on Thursday and the Kingfisher a seafood buffet on Tuesday and Friday, the quality and variety are without doubt exceptional. I also had a fantastic meal at The Olives Restaurant, which is a bit more upmarket than the others and more expensive. However, my husband was less than happy with his meal, but I do think it depends on what you choose from the menu. If you like loud music then choose the Darlin Darlin Bar, it wasn't for us, as it's difficult to have a conversation and also very smokey. Our only complaint of the hotel was of one member of staff, who when he heard that we had planned to go to Sepilok to see the Orangutans, recommended we instead hire a driver he knew, who would take us to Mt Kinabalu Park, where we could do the Canopy walk, orchid farm, butterfly park and Poring Springs and be guaranteed to see an Orangutan. This turned out to be a costly disaster. The Poring springs is under renovation, so only 2 small pools were open outside, which were heaving with people, the butterfly park was closed (Mondays), it was apparently the wrong time of the year for Orchids and the food in the Restaurant was inedible. And what was meant to be the highlight was the Orangutans in the wild - well she was called Jackie and was not the image I had in mind! She was clearly somebodies pet, who even put on a pair of yellow wellies in the compound where she was fed! So be warned, don't take any advise from members of staff, but use the Wildlife Tour office attached to the Hotel. After such a disappointment we booked to go to see the Orangutans at the Rasa Ria - ( 20 min taxi), they work in conjunction with Sepilok and because they have the young ones, you have more chance of seeing them than at Sepilok, we had the privilige of seeing 5 Oranutans aged between 2-6 years and it was magical, to see them climbing down from the trees to the feed tables was a memory I'll never forget.

• Liked — Great choice of Restaurants, excellent service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Smoking in Restaurants/Bars
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't bother hiring a car - taxis are cheap.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
15 Thank MarilynNorthampton
Sg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2006

We stayed 3 nights at the Nexus. The kids (6 of them aged between 5 and 10) enjoyed every minute of it.

We spent one day at the Lagoon Park which is a 5 minutes complimentary bus ride from the hotel. You can do all sort of water activities at the Lagoon Park. The kids tried the banana boat, parasailing, paddle boat and kayaking and had a good time. One good thing is that you can charge all activities to your hotel room account and there is no need to carry cash in your swimwear.

The beach at the hotel is beautiful and secluded. At the hotel compound, the kids also try batik painting and cycling.

Nexus is a great place to take the kids, there are lots of activities to keep the kids busy and happy.

• Liked — Beautiful beach, big room, good complimentary buffet breakfast, friendly staff except for the restaurant staff
  • Disliked — poor service of restaurant staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Maplestory
Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2006

I am staying at the Nexus. However, the stay will only be for one night instead of the four I booked. I'm frustrated at the quality of the staff and to be honest the club room I'm in is nothing special and the furniture and fixtures look old for expensive(for Malaysia) price. It started with their map. I am driving from KK. But there map doesnt show you the gap between the outskirts of KK and Nexus. Everyone will tell you to just go straight but it's not that easy, there are several twists and turns and no signs along the way pointing to Nexus. I got lost as sun was setting. The map also has the phone number for everything except the hotel. Luckily I had it on another paper. When I called for directions the lady at the desk asks me if I reached the roundabout yet. The problem is I already went through 3 roundabouts. I explained to her I cannot answer her question because I dont know which one she is talking about. To which she again asks, have you reached the roundabout yet. I think that's all she's been trained to explain. I was then handed over to another guy whose voice was so weak I could barely hear him. I tried to explain to him again where I was and get directions but he proved to be useless. I eventually found it after many false turns. This could have been avioded if they had put the road map on the brochure. Also when I got here I though the room rate was 800 per night -- that's what it said the "total" was on the hotel web site. I find out they want to charge 920! And later when driving to the parking lot in the dark they have a gate in the middle of the road that isnt lit and I almost crashed the car window into it. Needless to say all the manager had to say to me was "sorry". I expect more out of such a place that's been hyped up as the best in Sabah. Tomorrow I check out.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the manager
  • Tips/Secrets — dont go here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank rbrooks

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Eden54
Hotel Eden54
#2 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,144 reviews

Been to Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai? Share your experiences!