“Well...”

Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Well...”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here at this hotel recently and it does has its upside story and the downside story.
The upside is..what else..the scenery and the view of the beautiful beach next to this hotel and the staff is quite nice and thats that.
The downside? Out of 5 days I stayed at this hotel..there is one time the electrical power went out. Thankfully, it was resolved quickly enough. This shouldn't happened to a 5 star hotel. Next, the gym equipment. Very poorly managed. The treadmills create quite a sound and I mean VERY loud sound when you started running on it and It is not comfortable to hear when you are trying to catch your breath. Trust me.
There is a lot of story i would like to share with you but this hotel is quite good but not THE 5 star good.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Megat S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We spent three nights at the Nexus resort in late April 2014. After comparing prices and our budget we decided on Nexus instead of the Shangri-La resorts down the beach. I think that it was the right decision.

It's important to note that the resort is rather run down and definitely needs some refurbishments but we knew that already after reading reviews. Because it was still the low season the place was fairly quiet which was actually great for us because it meant peace and quiet and the choice of a nice room. We stayed in an Ocean View King room which I have the impression is one of the nicer ones on the property so I would suggest to request one...

As for the food it was satisfactory. The Beach bar had good pizza, the main restaurant had decent Chinese food and the breakfast selection was varied. I would probably get sick of it after a week but over three days it was fine. Although there is a small shop at the resort I would recommend picking up a few snacks and some wine or whatever you fancy on your way from the airport :) sitting on our rooms balcony, with a take out pizza and wine watching the sunset was ideal!

As for the beach it was great! Plenty of sun beds and umbrellas available and relatively quiet in the day, most guests tend to go swimming once the sun is almost gone... Although if you want a drink you need to walk yourself to the bar (not a big deal). One thing that did disappoint was that in the central part of the beach there was a fair amount of garbage (plastic) in the water and the sand. Seemed like some people had had a picnic or something on the beach and failed to clean up (what a shame!).

As for bugs, there are a fair amount of mosquitos that come out at night so bug repellent is a must at dusk!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brussels-for-now
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We chose Nexus because of the location, a 20 min drive from KK and cool area, with a nice beach were we could chill.

The building is nice, extremely big, feels awkward in a remote location like this, but is nice, specially the rooms closer to the beach and the common areas. But that´s pretty much all...

Rooms are really old, on our room all the plugs were broken, and in general everything looks really run down.

Stuff was very unresponsive and didn´t really help, and food was very bad, I mean, probably the worst breakfast I ever had.

Worst value for money of my life.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cotermin

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

kl
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights. When I returned home, I found any bad bugs bites in my and our families bodies. Very serious. Doctor confirmed it is caused by bad bugs. Seems like because of low rotation of rooms, the hotel staff gave us a very old room that has been not using for a long time. After first day, we asked the hotel to change linen but result was very bad..feel itchy for a long time. I never ever stay there again. It was our very worst experience. Motel will be better than Nexus.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank KEONG DONG K
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

This property has one of the most beautiful white sand beaches in Malaysia-that's for sure. Although the rooms are rather dated the view made up for it and it was larger than most hotel rooms. We had an Ocean View King. Food could be better though! The staff from reservations to front desk and everyone in the restaurant and bar were very pleasant. A revamp of the rooms and better food quality would make this top notch.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This is my third time to stay in Nexus Resort. The first time was in 2010. The second time was in 2012 and this was the third time.
For the first time I was there, I was really amazed by the beautiful beach, (Same as this time) great breakfast, large room and facing the ocean balcony.
For the second time, the facilities were not maintained good. Some of the lights in room were broken and same as the socket. Breakfast was not as good as before.
For this time, as I had the last time experience, I was not expecting too much for the resort but it turns out quite good this time.
The staff is friendly and helpful as always. As the hotel is far away from the airport (around 1 hr), airport pick up provided by the hotel is very reasonable. It costs RM90 per way. I requested the airport return on my departure day without any difficulty. I have also requested the late check out till 5:00pm and the hotel is extremely good to arrange (of course it depends on the availability). Scheduled shuttles are requested to book in advance (maybe 1 day) to the central with good price.
As the hotel is far away from the central and airport, I would suggest rest in the hotel at least one day to enjoy the beach and beautiful sunset. Otherwise, choosing hotels near the central would be more convenient for the island visit and other activities.
I enjoy the stay this time. Although the hardware is still required to maintain and upgrade, I really had great time to relax and city break from busy work.

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view room with higher floor. The view would be much better with no tree to block th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Am loving the sand there, so smooth and very clean. Had a sunset moment with my Sony DSLR where I accidentally dropped my 15- 55 lense on the ground. Ouch .... that hurts me so bad as my lense is now not functioning. My bad... The hotel is quite for from the KK town. Hence good for honeymooners. I love the hammock that was placed in the middle of the garden. Remember to bring sunglasses and sun block.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Azhanmu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai? Share your experiences!