“The condition of the hotel is going down”

Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I was in this hotel 2 years ago. The condition was better than this time. Seems like the hotel didnt maintain it good. The room was older and the toilet was even older and not clean. Some light was broken without replacement. Some socket was not working as well. The breakfast was worse than before.
Besides the room and breakfast, the private beach was excellent. Beautiful sand and long beach line~!
I like this hotel a lot. A very good place for vacation. Great swimming pool, great beach, great golf field. I feel so sorry for it because of the interior is going down. I hope that they could keep the hotel in a good condition so that next time when I visit it, I could have better experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
15  Thank Tiffany T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The location and facility are stunning, from the beach to the pools. The rooms are very comfortable and have a great balcony. All this for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately the food is generally not very good. Well presented but lacks flavour. The cocktails are good!

Room Tip: recommend sea veiw
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed at the resort for 4 nights. Room was large enough to fit 2 adults and 2 children, on 2 super single beds. Garden was beautiful, sea water was clear. At certain times of the day, if you are at the right place at the right time, some colourful fish would swim close to the beach, in fact in the last day we were pleasantly surprised to see a fairly big colourful squid swimming around us.. the resort area is huge that although the resort had high occupancy it didnt feel crowded. Majority of tourist there during our visit were koreans.
Breakfast selection was good.

The only negative experience we had was that the housekeeping didn't make up the room on our 2nd day despite putting the notice at the room as well as verbally mentioned to the housekeeping staff on our way out. Trying to call the housekeeping is also almost impossible, it was perpetually enagaged, similarly with the reception extension number.

The only way around it to call the operator for them to connect to housekeeping. When finally got in touch with housekeeping their answer for not making up the room was because we just checked in the day before, which is extremely ridiculous since hotel rooms are meant to be made up daily.

Room service menu was a bit expensive but the portion is relatively big.

There were lots of activities daily for guests to join eg fish feeding, fun fishing, batik painting, bead weaving, coconut leave weaving, blow pipe demo etc..

The water activities are at the nexus lagoon and there's free shuttle to get there.

All in all a good resort ..would definitely come again but hopefully housekeeping would have improved.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank AAA1971KL
Reviewed June 5, 2013

i was stay in nexus on 17-20 Mei 2013 at room 8501...tis is my first time in Nexus and its was amazing me about the garden, facing the sea with sunset view really infront on my eyes...honestly tis is the best resort i ever had before...

about the food for its really superb with frenly staff mostly Chef Kader tat no matter how busy still can serve and entertaint the guess with some explanation abot all the food...congrate for tat Chef Kader and mostly Nexus Karambunai for have tat chef...for the pastry for its very good base on the variety and taste...with local food its good for the tourist to ome and taste the food and pastry...

for me i will come back and recomment to all my fren about Nexus karambunai...

congratulation NEXUS KARAMBUNAI...

regards,

hozey78

Room Tip: facing the sea whre u can see sunset...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I, 2 family which includes 4 adults and 4 kids stay at 2 bed room spa suite for 1 night. Room is spacious! Nice sea view from the room. We love the room! Buffer breakfast is good with a lot of choice, but a lot of flies there..

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank raylim888
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've just returned from 3 nights stay at Nexus, and ultimately was sad to leave. The hotel pick up from the airport cost the same as a taxi (90RM), however, the transport was a rickety old mini bus that had bad suspension - so if you're expecting a romantic comfortable taxi make sure you check this with the hotel first (the driver was good). On arrival the check-in was terrible. We waited 30 mins to get our key, and even though we had booked an ocean view, the receptionist said there were none available……..I'm just glad we had our booking form handy to prove it to her. Saving grace of this initial annoyance was the location of being away from the busy town area, and the gorgeous beaches were just amazing. The usual haunts of Malaysian hotels include the hotel being a bit 'tired' decorative wise, and the cleaning could be improved - our room floor was never swept, and we're using a sandy beach. The breakfast was better than some hotels I've stayed at in Malaysia, except the 'fresh' bread was very stale, and the baked beans straight from the fridge cold. However, the cooking station for noodles and eggs, and the best hash browns I've had for along time made up for it. For the first time ever I tried their delicious meat and onion pie at breakfast - it should be their signature pie………..amazing flavour. Two places we used were the bar - Darlin Darlin and Olives Restaurant. The bar seriously needs some warmth and also good middle of the road type entertainment, I'm not really interested in listening to really noisy music in a freezing cold bar. Olives Restaurant on the other hand was outstanding - the food was amazing. We had the set menu for 80RM++ each, and we couldn't fault it. The waitress was an excellent hostess, and a credit to the Hotel. The hotel would benefit from an experience and well qualified person managing it, and paying more attention to food and beverages and housekeeping……..the rest is great as far as i can see. I'm going back in July thats how beautiful it is!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Traveller_J0
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Rooms looked really good at 1st impression, but maybe it was because we purchased it via AGODA or something... the toilets started making a puddling wet mess after the 1st day. We occupied 2 rooms and BOTH had major electrical socket problems (many werent working) and BOTH toilets had "flooding" issues.

The resort itself was relatively nice. Big walking space for after-meal strolls. The beach was nice and wide enough for u to find ur own lil corner to chill. The only (and possibly the biggest) upset for me were the sand flies on the beach. I dont know if it was my succulently sweet chinese blood or the fact that i just ticked them off with my overly peaceful presence, but they were biting me EVERYWHERE i went. By the end of my trip here i was left with bad itchy bites all over my body. BRING AN INSECT REPELLENT if u wish to spend a large chunk of your day at the beach here.

Oh. Strolling next to the HUGE monitor lizards that roam the resort grounds freely was a fairly fascinating experience. I felt as brave as the late Steve Irwin every time one strolled pass me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank jaemyc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
#4 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai? Share your experiences!