“Overpriced with a lousy service”

Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
Ranked #12 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Singapore, Singapore
“Overpriced with a lousy service”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I spent 7d/6n at Nexus and their service was absolutely terrible.

It started with the booking - I looked at their website and saw a nice picture of a pool villa at a price I wanted to pay. So I ordered it.... I thought .... When the confirmation hit my inbox it said "Spa suite" and I got suspicious and called the hotel and there it was "No pool villa". After lengthy discussion they agreed to give me the villa on the picture at the advertised price.

When I arrived in Kota Kinabalu airport I expected to be picked p by the hotel as agreed, however they had forgotten to send a car and I had to find my own way with my two tired small boys.

Arriving at the villa the Aircon in the master bedroom didn't work, the sofa in the living Room was broke and the cleaning left a lot to wish for.... Next morning I asked the hotel to fix it - nothing happened and only after a reminder they fixed the Aircon. The sofa stayed as it was.....

Second day, they didn't replenish the mini bar / fridge - I reminded them - nothing happened. Third day, they didn't replenish the mini bar / fridge - I reminded them - nothing happened.
Fourth day, they didn't replenish the mini bar / fridge - I reminded them - twice nothing happened and only when I went frustrated to the reception they acted on it.

Wanted to go on a day trip to Sandankan and agreed with the concierge that they would print my airplane ticket and leave them in my room for my early morning flight, however I when I got home tired after a full day in the jungle the ticket wasn't in my room as agreed..... Had to call them and remind them again.....

I wrote a complaint directly to the CEO and haven't heard anything.

There were good things and they were in control on some of their services, however I think the hotel is overpriced with a lousy service.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what is on the picture when you order from their website.... I picked a pool villa...
17 Thank Jan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Nexus for 3 nights and had one of our best times there. The resort itself is situated away from the 'hustle and bustle' of KK amidst acres of rainforest, golf courses and beaches. It was such a romantic setting. We stayed in the Borneo-wing and our room was large, clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated in traditional Muslim style. The bathroom and shower was big and bright.

All the restaurants were quite cosy. We especially liked the casual and relaxed environment of the King Fisher. It was so relaxing eating breakfast and having a lovely chat next to the pond and listening to the birds and water from the fountain.

The staff at the resort were friendly at all times. The one thing that we enjoyed most (other than our own company) was the massage by the beach. It was so relaxing that we actually dozed off. Unbelievable !

The swimming pool was nice and clean and was a great place to cool off. During the night, it's highly recommended to relax at the bar and listen to the singers and danced the night away. Unfortunately, our stay was not long enough for us to enjoy the nice and calm ocean.

We also took a daytrip around town and also to an island resort for snorkelling. It was so enjoyable and we had so much to talk and laugh and to savour the moments to be with each other.

I would highly recommend this resort for anyone who wants a relaxing time and a 5* comfort. (This place helps to 'cement' our love for one another).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Member88
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I just checked into this resort. I am truly disappointed with the service of the staff, facilities of the hotel and food served at its restaurants. It is not value for money. It charges its guests 5-star hotel rate but provides them with 2-star hotel service. I feel cheated.
The staff are clueless, inattentive, not responsive, and poorly trained. I encountered numerous problems from check in to room facilities and amenities. By the end of my first day, I made at least 10 calls to the reception. I regretted booking this hotel by my family holiday. I do not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Vincent C

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Chengdu, China
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed in the 2 bedroom pool villa which was very nice. Master bedroom with ensuite bath, second bedroom had to twin size perfect for he kids and they had separate bath, kitchen you can't cook in, dining & TV room with nice outdoor lounge. Small lap pool but not maintained once during our stay. Housekeeping was great but hotel staff service was terrible. We had deluxe breakfast but food selection was same everyday in every location so were tired of it by the second day.

I would recommend getting a rental car during your stay here as the main resort is miles away from the pool villas and we were always waiting on the shuttle. The resort is at least a 30 minute drive into KK and all the activities booked from resort were overpriced and we found food and activities much cheaper on our own.

Room Tip: Pool villas are very nice and secluded but far from other amenities.
8 Thank Chinachatter
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

(+)Surrounding area, beach, pools

(-)Shabby rooms with a really weird odor inside.
Hot water was sporadic at best. Light on the balcony was out of order and no one bothered to fix it regardless my complaints. The service, to put it mildly, wasn’t up to 5 stars rating. Cute smiling ladies at the dining area could hardly speak English and it took me quite a while to explain that green tea was ordered instead of black one brought. Overall impression about the staff – friendly but useless. Very beautiful but pricey spa with no concept of service at all.
But the most fascinating thing would still be ahead! The hotel requires 100% deposit at the check in, upon check out I was advised that money would be released within 7 day max. Of course, it did not materialize and it took me 2 weeks and 5 angry letters to evoke a response from their Finance dpt…As the result, promised 7 days turned out to be smth about 25 (has nothing to do with my bank)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Wanderlust W
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed: June 15-19, 2012
Room Type: Pool Villa
Room No.: 108

Likes:
-Villas are spacious and cozy! 1 Masters bedroom with bathroom, 1 twin bedroom, 1 spare bathroom, 1 kitchen, dining area, living area, outdoor lounge.
-You have your own lapping pool.
-All villas look very private, people will not see you when you swim.
-Friendly and helpful staff.
-Awesome spa amenties.
-No need to bring mosquito repellant, they have it in each rooms.

Dislikes:
-Was not impressed with their spa treatments.
-Breakfast is quite upsetting. I see alot of old English guests frowning because of it. But I know they're doing to their best to please the guest.
-Took waaayyyy forever for them to print out the bills before check-out, they said they were having problems with the internet.
-They need to clean their shoreline, I saw lots of plastics, slippers, tires and stuff.

Room Tip: -Always pay extra and get a pool villa, you have the privacy you want and it comes with 4 breakfast...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Buckets of fun. We had a gorgeous spa villa overlooking the ocean. The Sunset Bar was so romantic. Food was so-so...which is good, because you can really gain weight having so much relaxation. The ambiance is a slice of paradise as the grounds were very green, trees maturing in the best way, flowers everywhere and the scenery was so lovely everywhere.

Room Tip: The walls are thin, you can hear conversations of other visitors. Perhaps higher floors are ideal.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
#3 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai? Share your experiences!