“Christmas in Kota Kinabalu”

Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
england
“Christmas in Kota Kinabalu”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We spent 8 nights at the Pacific Sutera hotel over Xmas.
Over all the hotel is very nice but it looks a little tired and dated in some areas.
The rooms are OK but certainly not 5 star standard.
The staff were excellent throughout the resort and could not do enough for you.
I was amazed at their patience with the other guests (95% were of Asian decent mainly Chinese and Koreans) they are very rude to the staff and basically pigs when around food. The break.fast buffet was very good but turned into a zoo when the Asians arrived.
We have Xmas eve dinner in the buffet and it was very good and Terrance even joined us down in Jugs for a beer after he delivered our champagne in person. He was very good and also very friendly
Breeze bar was very good but the staff became overwhelmed around midday when the food orders could not be met, it took over 90 mins one day to get a meal. It seems as though the kitchen is too small, also the menu at Breeze was very limited, again not a 5 star hotel.
Jugs bar down stairs, at 1st impression is dark and smokey but the staff here make up for that. They are excellent and very friendly especially Maya who smiled the whole time we were there.
Over all the hotel and staff was very good.
The golf course however was a different matter. For $100 a round I would expect at least the greens to have grass on them. They were very poor at best and because of this I would not recommend this resort to anyone that wants to go and play golf.
One thing that would make the resort slightly better would be covered walk ways as it rains nearly every day and the hotel does not provide umbrellas.

Room Tip: Due to the shape of the hotel all the room doors in the main building open out to an open area which...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Agbami,

Thank you for choosing Sutera Harbour Resort for your vacation destination.

It delights us to know that overall, our hotel and staff met up to your expectations. We are pleased to hear of your compliments for our staff who went the extra mile to make your stay an enjoyable one.

We would like to inform that umbrellas are available upon request at the Concierge. Also, we are currently in the process of increasing the number of umbrellas to be made available to our guests during the rainy days.

In regards to the golf course and its condition, we are aware of the lack of grass on the greens. Due to excessive rain that we have experienced of late, it has had an adverse effect on three of the greens. Our Golf Course Maintenance Team are working tirelessly in these extreme conditions to provide the best course conditions possible.

On that note, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more positive experience in the future.

SHR-Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We spent 5 nights at the Pacific Sutera and overall it had been a great experience. The views from our ninth floor seaview deluxe room are amazing. The facilities in the resort are excellent, as are the restaurants, although after three nights of dining at the resort we got a bit bored and ventured out. The Magellan definitely seems to be the nicer of the two hotels, but our room (and view) at the Pacific was excellent and you can use the facilities at both hotels regardless of where you stay.
What really makes the Sutera resort stand out is their staff. Extremely friendly and helpful and love to smile and laugh. All in all a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bubbsie84,

Thank you for sharing a review on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our spectacular views. Your compliments are certainly a great motivation for all of us as we work towards our commitment to deliver the best service for each of our valued guests.

Greatly looking forward to welcome you back to Sutera Harbour Resort the next time you return to Kota Kinabalu!

Hong Kong
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed at Pacific Sutera during Xmas time for 5 days and enjoyed the stay. All the staffs are friendly and helpful, Concierge is always there to help. But need more of them as there is usually one concierge at the desk and he is surrounded by tourists with load of questions.
Need more training to the phone operators as I dial "1" and ask for extra bedsheet. It didn't come. But when I dial "1" again and ask the operator to trsf the call to Housekeeping, I get what I wanted. Same thing happened when one of the light is broken and I have to directly speak to Engineering and they fix it right away. It seems the operators never pass your requests to the relevant dept.
City Shuttle is great but if they can add the 7pm trip it will be great as this is the time for people to go to KK town for dinner
Silk Garden serves great Chinese food. Buffet Breakfast is good but the selection is the same everyday so you will get bored after two days.
The Pools are great as there are four to choose from so you won't bored by it.
Free wifi is good and the speed is good
TV selection is just ok, Better to add Astro WahLaiToi‎ for HK tourists and children channel (Disney, CartoonNetwork) for the kids

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear hknewa,

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review about your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that our staff were able to cater to all your needs. However, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by our operator service. Rest assured, we take all feedback seriously as it offers us opportunities to review and improve our shortcomings. We hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting our property again.

As our valued your guests, your opinion is of utmost importance to us, therefore all comments/suggestions have been directed to the relevant departments and we will work towards improvement where necessary.

Thank you for your suggestion on the TV channels. We are happy to inform that new channels will be added soon which includes Nickelodeon for children.

On that note, we look forward to welcoming you back to Sutera Harbour Resort.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

7 days spent at this Resort were excellent.
Staff on front desk on arrival, concierge great, transport to city regular, meals excellent including great breakfast.
Golf course was only 10 mins away and best to play in mornings as rain came usually late around 4.00 pm.
Italian restaurant was top class and the cleanliness in the rooms was great and prompt.
In the city shopping was not very enticing as the old shopping centre was stocked with average stock.
New one called Syria was better but more expensive.
Only purchases by family were headphones and DVD,s which were value.

Room Tip: Room overlooking pool best
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear 9731936,

Thank you for sharing a review of your recent stay with us.

Your title "Top Class Resort" is certainly a great compliment and it makes us all proud of the work that we do! Glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the services and facilities available around the Resort; as well as dine at our award-winning Ferdinand's Italian Restaurant at The Magellan Sutera Resort.

Greatly looking forward to welcome you and your family back to Sutera Harbour Resort!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Stayed at the Pacific Sutera Dec 23-26, 2013, ocean view room.

Despite all the good reviews it gets, the hotel really upsets my wife and myself.
The hotel is very old but we can live with that.
It's the service and operation that really disappoints and far from 5-star level hotel.

Complaint 1:
On Dec 25, we left the room at 12:20pm and came back around 10:30pm, only to find out in shock that the ROOM DOOR WASN'T LOCKED AND LEFT OPEN after housekeeping!!!
Thank god that my room was at the end of the corridor so I guess it's quite discreet and nothing was lost.
But such mistake is unforgivable and should never happen at any star hotel. Period!

Complaint 2:
Before we left the hotel for dinner on Dec 24, I called operator to clean the pile of sands in my room's corridor, while also get 2 extra towels and bottles of water.
And when I come back, the towels and water were delivered however the pile of sands stayed.
It's in the corridor so housekeeping couldn't have missed it!

Complaint 3:
Only 2 shower towels were provided each room. In my experience with vacational hotels and resorts, usually 3-4 shower towels are provided to each room.
And just 1 tissue box in bathroom and none in the bedroom.
And no umbrella provided in the room, rare for 5-stars in tropical areas.

Complaint 4:
There are 5 lifts however only 2-3 seem to be operational at anytime of the day.
People often have to wait over 5 min for the lift!

Complaint 5:
The 24-hour cafe, for both Dec 24 & 25 mornings, my room was already ticked which means someone registered with my room number.
And whoever that was remains a mystery.

Complaint 6:
The breakfast itself has very limited choice of food for such a large 5-star hotel.
Fine I can do with just bread. But only to realize the small round bread near the toasters, runs out really quickly and never seem to get refilled.
Fruits? Same situation.
Coffee? Sure, but the milk in this machine is out and never gets refilled. So pls use the next coffee machine.

Complaint 7:
The inter-city shuttle buses are never on time!
By my calculation, they could be 5-25 minutes late.
And the standard explanation is traffic jams.
But come on, the trip to city (Center Point) is only around 3km and KK is not Bangkok or Beijing, the traffic is not that bad!
5 min or 10 min is tolerable and understandable, but 20-25 min late???

Overall, I had a great trip to Sabah but this hotel is seriously disappointing!!!
I would love to go back to Sabah one day but would definitely choose either the Shangri-La or the Meridien!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the Pacific! Megallen looks better and newer, however I didn't stay there so I can't r...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sd712
SHR-Management, Group Director of Sales & Marketing at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear sd712,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We read the experience of your stay with deep regret, especially when you have made our Hotel your accommodation of choice.

We would like to apologies for the housekeeping error which you have encountered during your stay with us. Our present standard of bath towels in room are 2 sets of bath and hand towels and 1 tissue box with more available upon request in order. Rest assured that extra measures are being taken to ensure that there will be no recurrence of similar events in the future.

We have taken note of all your other comments and are addressing each one with great earnest.

We are truly sorry for the mistake made at our dining outlet during breakfast time which happened during a very busy tie over the holidays. Therefore, it might happen that the assigned rooms were crossed already although it should not happen. These shortcomings in service as well as the comments regarding the breakfast spread have been addressed to the relevant departments for further action so that we can work towards improving the overall experience for our guests.

With reference to the City Shuttle service, we understand the frustration. During holiday times the city of Kota Kinabalu is facing the challenges of heavy traffic jams. Nevertheless we should be able to address this matter to avoid large delays. Thank you for pointing this out

As our valued guest, we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to Sutera Harbour Resort for a renewed experience in the near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We have recently just returned from KK. We stayed at Horizon Hotel for the first two nights and Sutera Pacific the last night. Sutera is a good resort hotel, friendly staff and our room was comfortable and with a golf view which was a green scenery. Overall we have enjoyed our stay except for one accident that happened in the swimming pool and if you don't mind staying under the noisy flight path from the nearby airport then it would be fine.

My daughter was playing with her friend in the pool, and she suddenly came back up with tears and showed me that her finger was bleeding. I first thought that was a small matter and didn't treat it seriously, which my husband took her to the station where the lifeguards were. I saw more lifeguards crowded around going my daughter and she was supposed to just get a bandage - 1, 2, 3 and 4 lifeguards and then a security guard came with a first aid box, then I realized there might be something unusual happening so I ran to my daughter and was told they couldn't stop the bleeding and they did not have the medication or even a bandage. Her finger was cut by a sharp broken tile at the bottom of the swimming pool. It was going on for a while and the guard said we need to run her to the clinic and stitching may be required. Anyway, the guard drove us to the nearest clinic and luckily the bleeding was stopped but my daughter got a sausage finger after all.

It was not a nice experience as three of us were going to the clinic from the hotel and back in our swim suits and you could imagine how awkward and scary it was. When we got back I was the one looking for the duty manager not the other way round. I told her we were not looking and asking for anything but the hotel needs to do a better maintenance job as I don't want the next one to get hurt and it can be dangerous and serious.

I still don't understand why we could not just go to the clinic from Sutera Pacific but taking a shuttle bus to Sutera Harbour then waiting for a car instead for over half an hour which was explained by the guard that a lot of paper works to do before he could get a car. However, I still would like to express my sincere appreciation to the lady who came to us, she offered help and acted quickly (I suppose she was the duty manager) and staff at the Concierge of Sutera Harbour Resort Hotel, lastly the guard who accompanied us to the clinic. Thank you very much for the great help.

Nevertheless I still would recommend this hotel to friends but will share with them my experience and warn them to be careful when playing in the swimming pool.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank C T
Dear C T,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review on TripAdvisor.

It is heartening to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us. However, we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you and your family due to the lack of professional approach in helping your daughter with her injury. This should not have happened and rest assured, we have revised our procedures to ensure that there will be no recurrence of similar event in future.
We would like to also inform that although there is no clinic available at the hotel, our associates are trained in administering First Aid and usually we are able to provide quick transport to the nearest clinic/hospital which are right around the corner.

On that note, thank you for recommending us to other travelers and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again for a renewed experience soon.

Singapore
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Traveled to Sabah with my family for xmas holiday. Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights. The stay would have be a better one if the room that we stayed on our first night is more "prepared". We were given a room at the ground floor, facing the pool, the air con in the room was not working. At first, we thought it could be the hot weather out side, but after a few hour of rest in the room, we realized it was a faulty on the air con.
We left a message at the frontdesk to have someone look at out air con, while we were away for dinner, by the time we cam back at 10pm, the matter was not fixed yet. The only thing we could do was get them to send in a technician again, the technician told us that he will need at least 2 hours to fix the problem.
We were exhausted and upset, so out we out to talk to the front desk personally. only then they offered us another room, but noted that, it was already at 11 plus at night, and we were travelling with a child. The kid was just tired over all the shifting.
I am glad that they offered another room to us, but we rather to have the room right in the first place.

Dear CVCHONG,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.

We sincerely apologise for the air conditioner inconvenience. Rest assured, we have looked into the matter to avoid any additional experiences such as this.

With our continued efforts to improve, we hope to welcome you back to Sutera Harbour Resort for a more positive experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
#1 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Eden54
Hotel Eden54
#2 of 91 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Property: Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Hotel
Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
Magellan Sutera
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Kota Kinabalu, Sabah