Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Ranked #8 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at the Magellan Sutera from the 21st to 28th December 2012. We booked a Magellan Club room and it was well worth the extra expense, great breakfasts, both Western and Asian. Staff were all very friendly and most professional always available to recommend things to do and places to go.
In the evening you can have canapés and drinks (included in the price) before heading out for dinner, again plenty of choice between the Magellan, Marina and Pacific Sutera hotels. We really enjoyed our week and will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Get a Club room or suite lots of space and great views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the Pacific Sutera, for context. Sea view room.

Good points: location is wonderful - the view of the sea really makes my day, every day. the grounds are lovely, and what can top the marina? i mean of course the fact that the edges of the piers are lined with coral, with an abundance of fish life, despite the boats - more than can be spied snorkelling at manukan island, unless you go to proper guided snorkel/dive spots. my husband was lucky enough one morning to see two octopuses flit out, quarrel with each other a bit, and then go under a different rock. a lone barracuda scared a few schools of juvenile fish. crabs, sometimes small mudskippers. Wide range of amenities, really handy to stay where the marina is, large grounds, fine dining. I go easy on the value question by considering the existence of these amenities and the number of restaurants that need to be kept staffed, and the fact that for resorts located near nature spots, it's hard to assign a proportion of the prices (certainly not cheap) to the location itself when the location is priceless. the hotel room itself was pretty good, but nothing remarkable - i consider the value to be located in the amenities and location, though. the coffee house, cafe boleh, is 24 hours, which is really handy and not always a feature of most hotels. lovely christmas decorations.

Not good: the pacific end is the hotel part, not the resort. the part of the stay experience that they really should give more thought to is on acoustics, often neglected since hoteliers tend to focus on visual aesthetics. the hotel room hallways are open to the outside, creating a void in the middle, which - because very little soft furnishing is present - amplifies any sound in the hallways in nearby floors. so - doors banging, cleaner trolley wheel squeaking, children screaming, you get the idea. i think the magellan end might be better.

breakfast was ok, but i reckon a couple of stars below the hotel's rating (the other restaurants we tried, and the cafe's other buffets are pretty good) - the watery strawberry jam, oddly dilute miso soup, and poor sausages didn't impress. but you can stick to the breads, egg station, fruit and nasi lemak and that should do just fine. the coffee house at breakfast time can also feel busy since the food is all at the centre thus everyone has to walk to the same place, crossing many tables, many times. the breakfast overflow is downstairs to the chinese restaurant, and the lobby area where the buffet is located is also not well thought of acoustically, making it pretty noisy there - it feels like a bus station, sound-wise, which does not match the image of the hotel.

lastly, the booking arrangements they had with the booking site they used can be improved. though the site differentiated between room beds, and we booked king rooms fronting the sea, we did not get king beds and one room fronted the golf course since somehow the bed preference needed to be stated *again* in comments, and the hotel was full for the christmas period. if the bed classification information does not transfer over by the booking itself, there should be explicit instruction to reiterate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daengkirana
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband, 2 1/2 year old toddler and I stayed at The Pacific Sutera from the 22nd- 27th December. The staff, especially Sabri gave us excellent recommendations- places to eat at (delicious sea food restaurants), tours to join (wetland tour- spotting probiscus monkeys, mari- mari cultural village & Lok Kawi Wildlife Park & surrounding island tours), organizing transportation, etc. This was tough considering we had an active toddler with us.

The food was delicious and reasonably priced! We tried the breakfast buffet, lunch buffet, pool snacks and room service.

Whenever we had housekeeping come clean up our room, I'd leave a little note listing down requests such as extra towels, coffee, etc. One guy even left us a vase full of orchids because he overheard my son say those flowers are beautiful.

The hotel is large and perfect for kids! Lots of greenery and space to run around. Just staying at the hotel was a perfect holiday. It was so peaceful considering the hotel was full. We enjoyed visiting the islands, using the facilities in the joint hotels and watching the fish, coral and sea urchins swimming all around the Bay Area.

We will definetly go back. Hopefully my son will be old enough to try the water sports. Big thanks to all the friendly staff who made our holiday amazing!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

They have their own harbor, just by the hotel garden! Nice room, nice facility, nice food, nice location, and helpful staff. We stayed at the executive floor for two nights. It was a great experience.

If I would have a chance to revisit KK, I would definitely choose Swing Pacific again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Not much to be impressed of for the price paid. Compare to the previous stay few years ago, the hospitality level has dropped tremendously.
beach front is pretty small. Pool wise, it is superb for toddlers and kids. Only thing that I will come back for. the kids playroom not conducive and facilities old and not quite fit for playing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My honest views and experience are as per below.

Let me start with the positives:
Sabri at the concierge desk is really helpful and made our stay really pleasurable with his smiling face!

And now the negatives - the experience was poor from the start:
1) At check-in we asked if we could have an upgrade (no harm in asking!). After some excessive flapping around we were told we were given a "show room". Wow - result we thought! We got there and it was a plain standard room. They should not have made up something that wasn't there!
2) Breakfast is a nightmare experience. The egg station is busy so why do you put a trainee there? Plain management 101 states placing your best people on a bottleneck and to fix the broken stove! One man uses two stoves and the other uses one only as one is broken. Cause queues in the morning.
3) Poor hygiene at the egg station - I do not eat beef as I am a Hindu. Yet at the egg station EVERY TIME I ordered an omelette, beef bits were going into the pan due to the sharing of spoons.
4) Went to the Silk Garden - the crab and sweetcorn soup we ordered was clearly heated up from the freezer rather than being made fresh as it was cold. I complained and the waitress just laughed until I asked for the manager. The food in general was poor. Worst Chinese I have had in my life - and I have been to some awful places before.
5) Spice Island - thought dinner at a Indian would be nice as I am Indian by descent. But again, we had miserly portion sizes and a very sweet curry. Food was dry and when I asked for some curd (tradition in an Indian meal) I was given two spoonfuls for my wife and I. Then tasting it, it was so sour it wasn't even edible.
6) Two days in a row I had to call the operator to get towels delivered to my room as after the "Make my room" service, it seemed the staff forgot most people do shower so need towels.
7) I paid by cash to settle my bill - my credit card guarantee was not even removed at check-out.

8) AND WORST OF ALL - I complained to Nils (Assistant Food Mgr) and he took note of my Silk Garden experience together with my room number. I thought the hotel would do right and at least do something for us given the extremely awful and insulting experience we had. But no - at check out nothing was mentioned -- not even an apology.

Overall I would suggest staying at the Shangri-La. We visited there and it was so much nicer!

Room Tip: Stay at the Megallan or if you can avoid it totally go to the Shangri-La!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
SHR-Management, Director of Marketing Communications at Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Sutera Harbour Resort would like to extend its apologies to Mr Kirtan Kaneria for the recent bad experience while staying at our hotel. The General Manager of The Pacific Sutera Hotel, Mr Stefan Willimann has personally responded to Mr Kaneria via e-mail. Thank you.

The Management at Sutera Harbour

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed in the magellan, it is compound with marina, gym,2-3 hotel. And probably the best I have seen so far. Which 5 star can claim to have several pools, including slides and 50m pool,the gym the biggest I have seen on resort , all water activities available, food very good and much.
The Magellan has only atiny beach.
For children a advantage park from multiple activities, pools, slides, playground in and out door, perfect service etcetc.

The problem was construction of balcony! I saw my 2 year old son walking through the balcony fence, like nothing . I graped just his arm in the last moment, the only thing, inside of the balcony.
We have been in the 5th floor. It took me a while to become this experience, I informed the GM in writing about this and handed it personally to him, this was a while ago, so I don't know whether they fixed this. Probably during construction there was no supervision, in my country, there is the fist rule, you suppose not to be able to stick your fist through the bars of a fence.

Room Tip: Not high floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
Hotel Sixty3
Hotel Sixty3
#1 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#5 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Price Range: $117 - $286 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Hotel
Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
Magellan Sutera
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Kota Kinabalu, Sabah